My first combination!

My first combination!

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
27 Mar 07

Originally posted by lausey
Oops. 😳
No problem!

S

Moves
27 Mar 07

I think this counts as a mating combination, from move 33 onwards.
I sac a pawn & rook to force mate
Game 2973560

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
27 Mar 07

Originally posted by Squelchbelch
Game 2973560
I think that counts as a combination too. πŸ˜‰
One of the nicest combinations I've seen was from Galaxy Shield. For me it came from nowhere. If I knew the link to the particular game i would post it!

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
27 Mar 07

Game 2973560
I like the finish as the eventual checkmate is with a pawn.

I've always been pleased with this game: Game 944781. The combination starts on move 19. Ne6, the point of it is that I'm threatening 21. Qxh7+ Kxh7 22. Rh3# and black has to give up the exchange to prevent it.

P

U.S.A.

Moves
27 Mar 07

Originally posted by adam warlock
I know we can't comment on games that are in progress, but this is my real first combination and I'm kinda proud of myself.

I've just wanted to know if it was any good and had some real soundness in it.

And of course I'm ready to wait for the dust to settle to hear your voices.

Game 3347405

Edit: I know my opening moves were really crappy, but I seem to not have a grip on 1.d4 😞
Ouch. Yeah move 10-13 would be considered a combination in my opinion. I have to say i think i would have fell prey too that move to if i was playing you. Nice job, adam. Keep it up! πŸ™‚

I like your move 24-25, also. Nice combination rook+bishop skewer attack against his rook.
If you keep making moves like these i doubt you will stay a 1100 rated player for very long, for sure. πŸ™‚

-- Paul

p.s.
after 10 dxc4 if he had taken the pawn with his bishop instead you could have then moved your knight to c6(move 11) triple attacking his pinned knight. Still winning either his knight or rook, i think. If he took your c6 knight with his knight threatening your queen you could just exchange queens giving check then your next move takes his a1 rook. And you're ahead still. A win, win situation.

RS

Under ur ChessBoard!

Moves
27 Mar 07

That's right. But i had to see I could win his rook and how to win it. And at my level that can cust a little bit.
I think you're forgetting that when we know a little bit more, your case, it's hard to value what less skilled players see.
I see that a lot when less experienced players post their games. Most of the comments are straight bashing and do ...[text shortened]... ing to build up the other guy's chess. This wasn't the case now but it does happens a lot.
You're right. A move is only a mistake if the other side does something about it...so you did a good job there.

m

Richmond Hill

Moves
28 Mar 07

Thanks for the reply.

Ps: I meant to say "I've hanged my knight"
hung

c

Moves
28 Mar 07

Originally posted by mrjonesvich321
hung
Nah, the knight committed a capital crime, thus deserving a capital punishment.

s
Slappy slap slap

Under your bed...

Moves
28 Mar 07

Originally posted by mrjonesvich321
hung
Cups are hung up. People are hanged. Horses are hung though...πŸ˜›

s
Slappy slap slap

Under your bed...

Moves
28 Mar 07

I know we can't comment on games that are in progress, but this is my real first combination and I'm kinda proud of myself.

I've just wanted to know if it was any good and had some real soundness in it.

And of course I'm ready to wait for the dust to settle to hear your voices.

Game 3347405

Edit: I know my opening moves were really crappy, but I seem to not have a grip on 1.d4 😞
Here's a reason why you shouldn't open up your castle position early in the game.

I sacrifice my knight to put him in check with my queen. When he moves his queen, it lets me bring in my other knight which leaves him with very few options. I like this win.

Game 2953897

k

washington

Moves
28 Mar 07

why didn't u take his e pawn when he first moved it?

L
5. f3

Moves
28 Mar 07

Here also Game 2919938 move number 20.

Also here Game 3059024 move 21.

I like this, there others but example and i happy from them. πŸ™‚

M

Moves
28 Mar 07

A combination is a sequence of attacking moves on the opponents king that usually involves a sacrifice, or leaves them down in material.
do you know how to play chess? if so, do you know what you are talking about when you talk about chess?

S

Moves
28 Mar 07
5 edits

Originally posted by MarsNCaissa
do you know how to play chess? if so, do you know what you are talking about when you talk about chess?
Huh?
Please define "combination" to me, rather than just criticisingπŸ™„

My definition was just done off-the-cuff, put in simple terms that I understand.
Let's see what Wiki says:

"A combination is a relatively long sequence of moves, often initiated by a sacrifice, which leaves the opponent few options and results in tangible gain.
At most points in a chess game, each player has several reasonable options from which to choose, which makes it difficult to plan ahead except in strategic terms.
Combinations, in contrast to the norm, are sufficiently forcing that one can calculate exactly how advantage will be achieved against any defense. Indeed, it is usually necessary to see several moves ahead in exact detail before launching a combination, or else the initial sacrifice would not be undertaken."

So, since the initial sacrifice or sequence of moves frequently involves an attack on the king - ie check/fork etc, all the elements from my definition remain accurate.

Plank.

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
28 Mar 07

Originally posted by kmac27
why didn't u take his e pawn when he first moved it?
Because i wanted to develop some of my other pieces too, and I didn't want to go for his gambit!