1. Joined
    24 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 22:08
    I got a move reminder the other day from my opponent when I had over two weeks left to move and 21 days timebank in reserve (a 21/21 game).

I know the site offers you the opportunity to send a reminder after a few days even when the opponent has loads of time left, but I found this a bit pushy (although it may have been an accident). I guess I feel that if you choose to enter a tournament with these time controls you should be patient if the game proceeds slowly.

What do others think?
  2. Richmond Hill
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 22:321 edit
    That seems fair to me, personally I wouldn't remind the person unless their timebank was wasting away.
    EDIT: When I say 'that seems fair' I mean that it's fair to expect someone will wait for you to move if the time controls are gigantic.
  3. Standard memberMrJohn
    A Chess Friend :-)
    Texas :-)
    Moves
    06 Apr '07 01:50
    Originally posted by d36366
    I got a move reminder the other day from my opponent when I had over two weeks left to move and 21 days timebank in reserve (a 21/21 game).

I know the site offers you the opportunity to send a reminder after a few days even when the opponent has loads of time left, but I found this a bit pushy (although it may have been an accident).
    Yeah, same thing happened to me in my first game with a stranger, here. RHP gives you an option of turning off move reminders from others. I took the option and turned 'em off.

I figure that if a fellow signs up to play me in a 21/21 game, he oughta be prepared to wait patiently for 21 days if for some reason I feel that I need it. I can't see any reason to put up with "reminders" if I have the option to turn 'em off.

:-)
  4. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    06 Apr '07 04:27
    I never send move reminders these days, but occasionally I click them by mistake. When I first joined I sent reminders just to clear them from the damned screen and I wish there was some way to get rid of them.

If anyone sends me a reminder more than once, I'll PM them to ask them not to.
  5. Joined
    05 Feb '06
    Moves
    06 Apr '07 10:19
    I know the site offers you the opportunity to send a reminder after a few days even when the opponent has loads of time left, but I found this a bit pushy (although it may have been an accident). I guess I feel that if you choose to enter a tournament with these time controls you should be patient if the game proceeds slowly.

What do others think?[/b]
    If your opponent is interested in playing, he/she should not need a reminder, so don't feel guilty if they run out of time; it's their problem not yours.
  6. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    06 Apr '07 10:29
    the reminders are completely useless and annoying. there's a check box for disabling them in the 'my email settings', but it only prevents your opponent from sending them to you. you'll still see those envelopes in 'my games'.
  7. Standard memberDutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Apr '07 10:31
    Move reminders are messed up yo. 😛
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Apr '07 10:50
    I never read them. They don't bother me.

But it is good to know when my opponents are low in time. The reminder icon give me a hint. When the skull shows up, it's not a surprise.
  9. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    06 Apr '07 11:41
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I never read them. They don't bother me.

But it is good to know when my opponents are low in time. The reminder icon give me a hint. When the skull shows up, it's not a surprise.
    You should use Firefox, and there is a countdown on the games page, telling you how long of Timeout/Timebank is left.

D
  10. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    06 Apr '07 16:27
    I guess my approach is different. Whether it’s postal or e-mail if I have an opponent who has been moving fairly quickly then I don’t hear from them in awhile I’ll send a note labeled as a “friendly repeat.” I also note that I’m aware they have plenty of time left but because they’ve been moving quickly maybe our game got overlooked. Most opponents appreciate it and I’ve only had one opponent cuss me out and remind me of the time limit rules but he was losing anyway. If they are a chronic slow mover there’s not much you can do except wait. I also advise my opponents that if they don’t hear from me in a couple days send a repeat. Unless you are hoping to win on time, I find this approach works well. In all my years of CC chess I’ve registered two official time complaints and have never claimed a forfeit win in e-mail. Strangely I’ve found that the higher rated your opponent is the less likely time is to be an issue. Wonder why that is.
  11. USA
    Moves
    06 Apr '07 16:30
    Most people seem to ignore them anyway

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree