1. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 12:50
    Just remember that if your rating doesn't go up as high as you think it should, you shouldn't get disapointed. It wouldn't be unrealistic for a young kid like you to jump up fast, but keep in mind that I started taking it seriously in HS, and was fairly obsessed, and my rating after my first big USCF tournament was around 1700. And now I am going to be a senior in College, and my rating is 1880. Although I have to say I am playing OTB at around 2000 strength right now, I just don't have the time to play enough tournaments to quickly get my rating there. So just think, it's been about 5-6 years and I am just now becoming an expert strength player, and I play and study something nearly every day. Although my freshman year of college I quit for the first semester, and a bit of the second. Chess is a really hard game.
  2. Standard memberIchibanov
    King of slow
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 13:08
    Live the dream ih8sens! Very few can make a living off chess, but maybe you're one of those few.

Still, I don't think you should pursue the game with the idea of profit. Sort of like the watched kettle thing. Just practice, study and love the game. Don't worry so much about your rating. Immerse yourself in chess and if you've got it, you'll find out by the time you're done college.

And if, by chance, you're not the next great Canadian GM or IM, that's OK too. There are lot's of ways to make money, but very few things in life that bring you joy. You're already way ahead of most people in that you've found something you can enjoy for the rest of your life.
  3. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 13:47
    making a career chocie is hard enough for an adult, and so much more so for a teenager. your first task should be to interview strong chess players at a big chess tournament or at a strong chess club. there is no value in getting thoughts of causal chess players---you should ask strong chess players in the 20s, 30s, and 40s.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 14:36
    Originally posted by robscullion
    Live the dream ih8sens! Very few can make a living off chess, but maybe you're one of those few.

Still, I don't think you should pursue the game with the idea of profit. Sort of like the watched kettle thing. Just practice, study and love the game. Don't worry so much about your rating. Immerse yourself in chess and if you've got it, you'll find out b ...[text shortened]... f most people in that you've found something you can enjoy for the rest of your life.
    Yah you're right.. that's kinda the attitude I'm adopting.
  5. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 16:381 edit
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    At the same time... I'm 15 and fairly obsessed.. my plateaus will be of much shorter duration than most. Either way I see what you mean.. I will have a hard time getting to and holding 1600 in 3 weeks (my current goal).
    I'm doing the same thing just look at my profile. Except I'm slightly ahead of you😛 my next goal is to get to 1650 in 2 weeks which shouldn't be too hard cause I have a lot of "won" games in progress🙂
  6. washington
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 19:12
    i've talked to many poker and chess players who have made a living doing so. most say its so stressful because if you don't win you don't get paid. it is really stressful. but on the other hand they do enjoy what they do. i'd have a sideline plan set up just in case. maybe finish college then persue your goal of making a ilving at chess.
  7. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 22:45
    Originally posted by kmac27
    i've talked to many poker and chess players who have made a living doing so. most say its so stressful because if you don't win you don't get paid. it is really stressful. but on the other hand they do enjoy what they do. i'd have a sideline plan set up just in case. maybe finish college then persue your goal of making a ilving at chess.
    you could sell a certain chess set or equipment at events..
  8. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 15:57
    Originally posted by kmac27
    one big problem is that these "professional" poker and chess wanna-bes are so unpleasant to be around. idotic banner by poker players, social misfits---such an unappealing aspect to this career choice.
  9. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 16:12
    What’s your idea of a decent living? The kids at McDonalds probably make more than most pro chess players…and eat better. I’m not sure you can compare poker and chess tmts. I’ve heard a lot of those poker tmts. require entry fees that exceed first prize in major chess tmts.
  10. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 16:471 edit
    Originally posted by masscat
    What’s your idea of a decent living? The kids at McDonalds probably make more than most pro chess players…and eat better. I’m not sure you can compare poker and chess tmts. I’ve heard a lot of those poker tmts. require entry fees that exceed first prize in major chess tmts.
    decent living is a good family life, good friends, and good health. poor working environment is seedy characters, unintelligent, and social misfits, money is clearly not part of the equation for decent living if one wanted to just pursue money, then mindless lucurative jobs as intermediaries (real estate salesman, stock broker) is a choice for those with without loftier goals.
  11. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 17:031 edit
    Originally posted by tonytiger41
    decent living is a good family life, good friends, and good health. poor working environment is seedy characters, unintelligent, and social misfits, money is clearly not part of the equation.
    I'll agree. I'd rather have a good family life, good friends and good health. They are far more important than money. However, I'm also blessed to have a job that I enjoy, work with good people and make a decent living. However, I would not deliberately take a job where my family had to suffer financially just to work at something because I enjoyed it, that's all.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 18:10

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 07:141 edit
    I'm 22 right now, started studying chess two years ago, and I made real fast jump from 1100 to 1300s, and was very hopeful for being a serious professional chess player some 5-10 years later. but now I can pretty much say I'm improving very slowly. I don't work as hard as I want to, but still, I'm dissapointed for the rate of my improvement. I'm sorry about this, but I made a rational decision and gave up my serious plans about chess. but if I were you ih8sens, being fifteen and playing at that level, I'd be a more enthusiastic about the idea. however, the important thing is, you really shouldn't leave chess as the only option for making money. I'm telling you, you really can't know at what rate you'll improve after 1800. some people get stuck at 1800 for a lifetime -or improve very, very slowly. the wise thing to do would be planning a successful college life, having an occupation other than chess, and work on your chess seriously at the same time. if you see a chance of improving that fast, I mean, getting to be a master in OTB in 5-10 years, (which is really harder than it seems at the 1600s level) then you can plan to make new adjustments. there are so many of this examples in chess history, countless GMs who has another occupation.
  14. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 07:30
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    Very interesting. In fact, a little bit inspiring. I'm 15 and I wrote my final grade 12 final exam on Friday so I'm done school. It's about time I start doing something and I figured I may as well see what the odds of me making it in a game I truly enjoy were. I've been developing very quickly too so I'm thinking it's just possible I hit a rating near 20 ...[text shortened]... nd that improvement slows the better one gets at chess). Thanks for the input !~TONY~!.
    You need to be very good to make a living out of this game. Don't put your eggs in one basket, there are literally millions of people out there who would love to do the same thing. I believe Fide have just started doing qualifications in chess training/coaching. To become a trainer you need an 1800 grade (official Fide grade that is) and to become a coach i believe it is 2000 (again, Only Fide grades apply). I know they have run one course already, whether there is another in the pipeline i'm not sure but you'll need to achieve at least an 1800 grade first so you'd better get reading/competing... 😉
  15. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 07:303 edits
    no way, you are not young enough and not strong enough. There are many allmost FM level at your age...and...anyway, doesn't worth it.

as I lived in a comunist country,
    I know someone who did the same and peaked about less than 2200 OTB (he is poor and he has to have another poor job now, with no studies)...
    I know another one who got peaked about 2450(IM) and he has a pretty poor life but let's say he can make a leaving out of chess (chess lessons mainly, but sometimes also tournaments)
    I know also someone who is about 2750 OTB now and he is very rich(for my standards) ONLY from tournaments...

So...I am not saying you can not have success, but, you see, for that single 2750 to be there as a success there are about 1000 half failures with less than 2500 and maybe 10 000 players less than 2200.
    If you do not get 2500+ you can't really say you can make a healthy living out of chess.
    So...you will take a lot of risks, and maybe you have 1 chance in 10 000...
    On the other side...I know someone who was 2200+ when he was 12-13 and now he is about 2350 and he never planed to make a living out of chess...so...you decide

Edit: now means when is is about 20+ years old

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree