Mickey 1 Magnus 0

Mickey 1 Magnus 0

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

e4

Moves
27 Sep 10
3 edits

I've seen better Black openings but who am I to question a genius.

Like halfway through the battle Mickey sets up a bog standard Queen
and Bishop mating battery.

From this. (move 28)

to this (move 32)

I think Mickey's been reading the blog. 😉

M.Adams - M.Carlsen Chess Olmpiad 2010

D
Up a

gumtree

Moves
27 Sep 10
1 edit

That should serve as a warning to the young whippersnapper not to underestimate the old(er) guys. Mickey may have been reading the blog but it looks like Magnus has been looking at the games of Duncan Suttles without understanding what Suttles was up to.

PR

Moves
27 Sep 10

...carlson maybe the worlds number 1 but This goes to show he can not play any old rubbish against the worlds Best...A good win by a very nice bloke well done Mickey!

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
27 Sep 10

Originally posted by PAWN RIOT
...carlson maybe the worlds number 1 but This goes to show he can not play any old rubbish against the worlds Best...A good win by a very nice bloke well done Mickey!
For awhile there, I wasn't sure which Mickey we were talking about🙂 Mickey Mouse, Mickey Rourke....But I was Pretty sure Mickey Mouse didn't play chess🙂

g

Moves
27 Sep 10

What did mickey have in mind if 36....Nh5 hitting the white Q and also the Rook?

D
Up a

gumtree

Moves
27 Sep 10

Originally posted by greenerpawn
What did mickey have in mind if 36....Nh5 hitting the white Q and also the Rook?
37. Qf3 Rxg6 38. Bxf5 looks plausible.

SPS CLAN

Wales

Moves
27 Sep 10

mag played like a patzer he starting to think hes unbeatable a few losses is what he needs

e4

Moves
28 Sep 10

He must have had some kind of game plan in mind.

Maybe Mickey has faced this before and Magnus had something up his sleeve.

Or perhaps like all creative intutive players when the juices don't flow
they lose very badly.
Tal and Larsen have some grim games on their C.V's.

You do not suddenly become a bad player from one game and Mickey
had to play well to knock him over. Just a bad day. It happens.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
28 Sep 10

the olympiad games are not rated are they? there's been quite a few weird looking games there, like naka almost steamrolling kramnik, with black no less. perhaps they're not taking the games that seriously, but more like having a bit of fun hanging out with the guys and winging it a bit? even leko of all people is looking a bit wild there. I don't really know catalan, but his win against grischuk looked a bit wild to me? this one:

v

Moves
28 Sep 10

they are rated

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
28 Sep 10

Don't mess with Michael Adams! He's beaten all the Worlds elite in his time, not the kind of player you're going to catch out with a questionable opening. What's more, the chances Michael hasn't seen this opening considering Tony Miles has played it is very slim! Adams would have prepared for Miles a few times considering they've met for the British championships before.

Carlsen is usually so sound out of the opening, what's he playing at?? I can understand him wanting to avoid using his best weapons in an Olympiad with the Candidates tournament coming up (I feel for his opponents in their preparation, i think Carlsen must be a nightmare to prepare for, given he rarely seems to play anything twice!) but he could have simply prepared something like the pirc, or a Hedgehog defence for this tournament and reverted to his more favoured Nimzo when the Candidates starts...? They might not be considered the 'best' defences but with his class you'd expect him to play them perfectly. This sort of line is frankly beneath him.

G

Moves
28 Sep 10

It is no coincidence that dodgy line is called the Norwegian opening, he just paid tribute to his country by losing in a ridiculous opening.

Now all we can do is hope that Shirov plays the Latvian gambit, he has played the spanish for too long, time to go back to your roots 😛

g

Moves
28 Sep 10

Originally posted by greenpawn34
He must have had some kind of game plan in mind.

Maybe Mickey has faced this before and Magnus had something up his sleeve.

Or perhaps like all creative intutive players when the juices don't flow
they lose very badly.
Tal and Larsen have some grim games on their C.V's.

You do not suddenly become a bad player from one game and Mickey
had to play well to knock him over. Just a bad day. It happens.
i suspect he expected adams to accept on h5 and prepared for that.

does magnus enjoy picking openings that are aptly named? he went for the english against howell last year. north sea vs adams...

n
Ronin

Hereford Boathouse

Moves
28 Sep 10

Magnus is trying to win games without showing too much of his actual repertoire. I think he found out the hard way that you can't play any old bunk against a positional player like GM Adams.

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
28 Sep 10
1 edit

Originally posted by greenpawn34
I've seen better Black openings but who am I to question a genius.

Like halfway through the battle Mickey sets up a bog standard Queen
and Bishop mating battery.

From this. (move 28)

[fen]r2q2r1/1pp2pnk/p2p1b1p/3P4/2P1NP2/1P5P/P3Q1BK/5RR1 w - - 0 28[/fen]

to this (move 32)

[fen]r2q2rk/2p2pn1/p2p3p/3P4/2P1NP1b/3Q3P/P1B4K/5RR1 b - - 0 32[/ . Qg5+ Kh7 40. Qh4+ Nh5 41. Bxh5 Qe7 42. Bg6+ Kg7 43. Bxe8+ Kf8 44. Rxg8+ Kxg8 45. Qxe7[/pgn]
No my line is rubbish, ignore!