Marshall Gambit

Marshall Gambit

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

e

timed out again

Moves
22 Jun 12

I have been hammered of late on the internet rapid circuit, so I have not had the chance to post a game. Here is me winning against a decent player for a change.

e

timed out again

Moves
23 Jun 12

J Polgar vs Adams

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
30 Jun 12

Originally posted by enrico20
I have been hammered of late on the internet rapid circuit, so I have not had the chance to post a game. Here is me winning against a decent player for a change.

[pgn][Event "Internet Game"] [Site "enrico"] [Date "2012.06.22"] [Round "-"] [White "?"] [Black "?"] [Result "1-0"] 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 a6 4. Ba4 Nf6 5. O-O Be7 6. Re1 b5 7. Bb3 O-O 8. c ...[text shortened]... d5+ 46. cxd5+ Kd7 47. Kf5 Bd8 48. Bf8 Ke8 49. Bh6 Kf7 50. Bxg5 {resigns} 1-0[/pgn]
I am just now studying the Ruy Lopez in earnest, and I don't know the depths of theory, but I like how 19. Bd1 seems to just let the air out of black's balloon. Nice game, especially the ending!

e

timed out again

Moves
30 Jun 12

Originally posted by Paul Leggett
I am just now studying the Ruy Lopez in earnest, and I don't know the depths of theory, but I like how 19. Bd1 seems to just let the air out of black's balloon. Nice game, especially the ending!
Having faced some nasty attacks from black players I was glad not to have been on the receiving end this time. I was reading the following words on the Marshall Gambit.

Ruy Lopez, Marshall Attack
In the year before his death in November 1944, Frank Marshall wrote these words regarding his famous gambit 8...d5 in the Ruy Lopez that he sprang on Capablanca a quarter of a century earlier: "I had been analyzing the variation for many years and came to the conclusion that the attack must be sound. I am still of the same opinion. By this I do not mean that Black necessarily wins; I merely claim that the attack gives Black many winning chances and should be good for at least a draw."

h
peacedog's keeper

Moves
30 Jun 12

Originally posted by enrico20
Having faced some nasty attacks from black players I was glad not to have been on the receiving end this time. I was reading the following words on the Marshall Gambit.

[b]Ruy Lopez, Marshall Attack
In the year before his death in November 1944, Frank Marshall wrote these words regarding his famous gambit 8...d5 in the Ruy Lopez that he sprang on Capabl ...[text shortened]... that the attack gives Black many winning chances and should be good for at least a draw."
[/b]
I thought Marshall's idea was refuted by Capa OTB? It was only later that it was refined into a playable opening.

e

timed out again

Moves
30 Jun 12

Originally posted by hedonist
I thought Marshall's idea was refuted by Capa OTB? It was only later that it was refined into a playable opening.
The Marshall gambit evolved over time, the reason I put that quote was to show those who may not be aware of where the idea came from. They can then do further digging/reading.

This is the beauty of chess.

H

Moves
30 Jun 12

Curious.

I clicked through at some speed and thought as you won you were probably black. Maybe like football it shows that territorial possession is only half the story.

e

timed out again

Moves
02 Jul 12

Originally posted by Habeascorp
Curious.

I clicked through at some speed and thought as you won you were probably black. Maybe like football it shows that territorial possession is only half the story.
lol that is not the best way to illustrate the Marshall Gambit to people who have never heard of it. I was actually white not black.

e4

Moves
03 Jul 12

Hi Enrico.

Good post and it has given me an idea for part of my blog. Cheers.

We have been here before with Frank Marshall (one of my heroes) and
his seven year wait to spring his opening idea on Capa in 1918.

The trieless Edward Winter reveals all in this fascinating piece.

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/marshallgambit.html

The gist being:
The gambit was first played in the 1890's.

Marshall had a few other opportunites to play against Capa rather than
wait seven years. (It appears he cooked it up or re-cooked it up about two
years before 1918.)

Marshall played it in a game in 1917.