Look Son, There are Tactics!

Look Son, There are Tactics!

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
13 Jun 08

Originally posted by greenpawn34
Hi Robbie (can I call you Bob?)

The ! after 2.Nf6 is just to show that 2.d4 is not forced.

It wrong foots the opponent. It's just to draw attention to it.
!? is probably the correct sysmbol. Black can play 2...c5 with
a Sicilian.

I've played that 2.Nf3 line with a great deal of success.

Had a real smashing hand to hand battle with a GM
w ...[text shortened]... ted this thread with a Bird ([b]3...Nd4
).
Can we close it now. It's been hijacked![/b]
lol, to bed to bed said sleepy head, tarry a while says slow, put on the pan says greedy robbie, we shall sup before we go.

'call me anything you like i will never deny it', (Farewell Angelina), sure Bob is cool.

hijackers smijakers, its the nature of the beast, i want to show you a positional problem from a French game but i don't know how to put those little chess board diagrams in, anyone help?

rc

Moves
13 Jun 08

dude look at the games of Weyerstrass, he is as far as i know unbeaten on this site, and as black he generally tries to get his opponent into French defence style positions, even if they open d4 or c4, quite instructional really.

g

Moves
13 Jun 08

Originally posted by wormwood
interesting. I was born 74, so you've been playing longer than I've lived, and probably even some time before that, right? 🙂 that's probably an awful amount of positions you've fed your brain during all those years.

I would guess 10 years of tournament play could train your board vision a lot like like heavy tactical training would. I realize it's been ...[text shortened]... to hear how you do on CTS now. and how you think your current performance relates to 85.
I leaned how to play chess I think in December of 1967 when I was ten years old. My older brother had just received a chess set for Christmas.

I didn't really start studing tactics until the past few years. Now I tend to play highly aggressive openings, and seldom play stodgy stuff anymore.

My chess understanding is vastly greater now than it was when I made expert in 1986. However, my rating is only 1825 now! (I seldom play in tournaments, and the psychotropic medications that I take probably doesn't help my chess much.) 🙂

Playing a lot of blitz helped all facets of my game.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
13 Jun 08
2 edits

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
i don't know how to put those little chess board diagrams in, anyone help?
Use FEN tags to insert a diagram.

Start at a8. List the pieces by initial [r, n, b, k, q, p] from left to right. Once you get to a patch of empty squares, put down the number of consecutive empty squares. Add a slash at the end of the rank. Use lowercase letters for the Black pieces and uppercase for White's pieces.

Example:
[ fen ]rnbqkbnr/pppppppp/8/8/8/8/PPPPPPPP/RNBQKBNR[ /fen ]

This is the starting position [remove spaces near the brackets].

[ fen ]rnb1kbnr/pppp1ppp/8/4p3/6Pq/5P2/PPPPP2P/RNBQKBNR[ /fen ]

This is the fool's mate.

Also, RHP limits you to one diagram per post [and one in the 'quoted post' section].

The easiest way to make FEN tags is to use software, like WinBoard or ChessBase, to produce the FEN string for you.

rc

Moves
13 Jun 08
2 edits

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Use FEN tags to insert a diagram.

Start at a8. List the pieces by initial [r, n, b, k, q, p] from left to right. Once you get to a patch of empty squares, put down the number of consecutive empty squares. Add a slash at the end of the rank. Use lowercase letters for the Black pieces and uppercase for White's pieces.

Example:
[ fen ]rnbqkbnr/pppppp FEN tags is to use software, like WinBoard or ChessBase, to produce the FEN string for you.
thanks i have chessbase light, i will try to suss out how to get it to create the FEN tags that are needed, it would save some time and perhaps cut down on mistakes also, it would be novel and quite instructive to have some types of positional problems to solve, there is a plethora of tactical ones but very few, if any positional type problems, traps etc , all my opponents are like taking forever to move and my time could perhaps be better employd this way, thanks so much Swiss gambit dude- kind regards Robbie.

MR

Moves
14 Jun 08

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
thanks i have chessbase light, i will try to suss out how to get it to create the FEN tags that are needed, it would save some time and perhaps cut down on mistakes also, it would be novel and quite instructive to have some types of positional problems to solve, there is a plethora of tactical ones but very few, if any positional type problems, traps ...[text shortened]... ould perhaps be better employd this way, thanks so much Swiss gambit dude- kind regards Robbie.
I'm not familiar with Chessbase Light, but I'd be surprised if it can't handle FENs. But if you can't figure it out using CB Light, as SG said, there is other software that can do the job. Two free ones that I know of besides Winboard are Arena 1.1 and Chesspad. Chesspad is really simple to use.

http://www.playwitharena.com/

http://www.wmlsoftware.com/chesspad.html

As far as positional problems to solve, you're right - I haven't seen too many of those types. A couple of ideas come to mind, though.

There's a fairly new book out by Ray Cheng titled "Practical Chess Exercises". It's 600 problems ranging from tactics to strategy and everything else in-between. But the kicker is that all you get to start the problem is a position and which side is to move. No other clues at all. Here's a review:
http://www.chesscafe.com/text/review595.pdf

My second idea may be a little old fashioned, but it might just work for you. Just find a number of well-annotated GM games and go through them one move at a time. (The more positional the GM, the better.) But before looking at the annotations for any move, first spend time trying to figure out the best move. Only after you've tried to guess the best move should you look at the move that was played and the corresponding annotations. This is a time-honored method of getting GM help on the cheap.

o

Moves
14 Jun 08

Daniel King uses that method. I forget the name of his books but just look up Daniel King in a site like Amazon and those kind of predict the best move books should come up under his name.

MR

Moves
14 Jun 08
3 edits

Originally posted by Mad Rook
I'm not familiar with Chessbase Light, but I'd be surprised if it can't handle FENs. But if you can't figure it out using CB Light, as SG said, there is other software that can do the job. Two free ones that I know of besides Winboard are Arena 1.1 and Chesspad. Chesspad is really simple to use.

http://www.playwitharena.com/

http://www.wmlsoftware.com/chesspad.html
Ah, I see that Arena 1.1 has one minor advantage over Chesspad. Arena 1.1 doesn't require that you put kings on the board to generate a FEN, but Chesspad does require kings. (Of course, Arena will crash if you try to run an engine without kings on the board, but you can generate FENs.)

So if you wanted to post a position in a RHP thread that only had a portion of a board's position (without the kings), you wouldn't be able to do it with Chesspad, unless you manually removed the kings from the FEN after generating the FEN using Chesspad.

Edit - I'm not sure if RHP can accept a FEN without kings, though. Maybe we could do an op test. 😀

Yes! It worked!

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
14 Jun 08
2 edits

Originally posted by Mad Rook
Ah, I see that Arena 1.1 has one minor advantage over Chesspad. Arena 1.1 doesn't require that you put kings on the board to generate a FEN, but Chesspad does require kings. (Of course, Arena will crash if you try to run an engine without kings on the board, but you can generate FENs.)
not crashing without kings is pretty useful in an engine. for example when you want to train elementary pawn structure things. just plug in the pawns and play, see what's possible without the king's help and what's not.

MR

Moves
14 Jun 08

Originally posted by wormwood
not crashing without kings is pretty useful in an engine. for example when you want to train elementary pawn structure things. just plug in the pawns and play, see what's possible without the king's help and what's not.
Yep, you're right, I wasn't thinking. It wasn't Arena causing the crash, it was the engine I was using. I tried other engines, some worked, some didn't.