Long Way Around

Long Way Around

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K

Moves
28 Oct 10
1 edit

7q/b1p5/1p1Npkb1/pPP2ppP/P1P5/3B2P1/5P1R/K3R3 w - - 0 1
White to move and win
(If you thought switching on chess engines can help you solve studies, think again 😀 )
Published in Euxinus Pontus no.13 (July-September 2010) as number E4.

M

Moves
28 Oct 10

This is a tough one. I would be very surprised (but I am used to surprises, lol) if anyone could solve this without the help of a machine, let alone compose this without the help of machine(s). Only, you have to use the engine to calculate the outcome of your your ideas, not to let them find them.

1.Nb7 Ke7+ 2.Ka2 Qc3 3.Rd1 Bh7 4.f4 looks like a critical line. White hopes to double rooks on the g-file, but has to cope with checks and find ways to deal with it.

K

Moves
29 Oct 10
1 edit

Originally posted by Mephisto2
This is a tough one. I would be very surprised (but I am used to surprises, lol) if anyone could solve this without the help of a machine, let alone compose this without the help of machine(s). Only, you have to use the engine to calculate the outcome of your your ideas, not to let them find them.
Actually, not using engines is the way to solve it, because engine evaluations are either completely wrong or completely useless 🙂
Therefore, you may use engines at will, because they cannot spoil the fun of solving.

By the way, the study has been solved in CSS forum...

Hint: 1.Nb7 is a draw

M

Moves
29 Oct 10
2 edits

Originally posted by Kornrade
Actually, not using engines is the way to solve it, because engine evaluations are either completely wrong or completely useless 🙂
Therefore, you may use engines at will, because they cannot spoil the fun of solving.

By the way, the study has been solved in CSS forum...^
Forgive me my ignorance, but what is CSS forum?

ps. I can easily accept that my attempt was not the right one, although I would be confident to win with it in an actual game. Not good enough for calling it 'solved' , I know 😕

K

Moves
29 Oct 10

Originally posted by Mephisto2
Forgive me my ignorance, but what is CSS forum?
CSS is Computer Schach und Spiele, with forum http://forum.computerschach.de/ , in German.

No need to feel embarrassed, I also learnt about this site only after one of my studies (http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=127618&page=1) was discussed there.