Latvian Gambit help

Latvian Gambit help

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
02 Nov 08

Originally posted by Northern Lad
Yes, but white still has a considerable advantage after 10.Nc3. I think after 6.Be2, 6...Qd8 is black's only playable line. After 7.d5 Nf6 8.Nc3 Be7 9.Bh5+ g6 10.Be2 I think white has a definite and significant edge (even if black's position is not completely unplayable), whereas you think it's only a slight edge for white. We'll have to agree to disagree on that one and leave it for others to decide.
In my opinion position after 10.Nc3 Nd7 is playable. If 11.Nxe4 then 11...Bb4+

NL

Moves
02 Nov 08

Originally posted by Korch
In my opinion position after 10.Nc3 Nd7 is playable. If 11.Nxe4 then 11...Bb4+
Simply 11.0-0 (with Nxc4 and/or Qa4 to follow) gives white a massive positional superiority. As I said, only 6...Qd8 appears playable for black.

J

benching

Moves
02 Nov 08

Pardon me if I'm wrong but stockton1984 was asking for help on the Latvian gambit. Has he/she got the help they asked for? It seems pointless if the OP's question is not being answered but its a one-two between 1 or 2 individuals 10 pages or more.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
02 Nov 08

Originally posted by Jie
Pardon me if I'm wrong but stockton1984 was asking for help on the Latvian gambit. Has he/she got the help they asked for? It seems pointless if the OP's question is not being answered but its a one-two between 1 or 2 individuals 10 pages or more.
In his last post in this thread (page 7) stockton1984 says "I'm learning a lot about the latvian from this thread".

So he finds our discussion to be useful help for him.

P.S. If you are so stressed about helping stockton1984 then you could share with your opinion/knowledge about this opening.

NL

Moves
03 Nov 08

Originally posted by Korch
[b](ii) Korch says: "After 3...Qf6 4.d4 d6 5.Nc4 fxe4 6.Ne3 Nc6 7.d5 Ne5 8.Nc3 Qg6 9.Nb5 Qf7 10.Qd2 Nf6 I don`t see too serious problems for Black to solve." Well, how about simply 11.Qa5 b6 12.Qa4? Black's position is fairly horrible.

What`s so horrible after 12...Kd8! (with intention of a6-Bd7 and then maybe Kc8-b7) ?[/b]
That's probably black's best plan, but after 13.Nc3 (13.Nd4!? Nxd5 14.Nc6+) 13...a6 14.Qd4 I still much prefer white's position. Black has more weaknesses, white's king will be safer, and black's pawn on e4 is a longterm weakness.

t

Moves
03 Nov 08

Correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't most people prefer to be playing white after a perfectly played opening on both sides? That doesn't mean white is "clearly" better. Maybe for the benefit of clarity for all who are interested in this debate you could leave that little part out?

NL

Moves
03 Nov 08
1 edit

Originally posted by tomtom232
Correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't most people prefer to be playing white after a perfectly played opening on both sides? That doesn't mean white is "clearly" better. Maybe for the benefit of clarity for all who are interested in this debate you could leave that little part out?
Don't think you understand what I'm trying to say. In the position I'm referring to, I believe that white stands much better than the normal (very) slight pull white might expect from a perfectly played opening. And what 'little part' are you talking about? You may not agree with my assessments, but I don't think they lack 'clarity'.

t

Moves
03 Nov 08

Don't think you understand what I'm trying to say. In the position I'm referring to, I believe that white stands much better than the normal (very) slight pull white might expect from a perfectly played opening. And what 'little part' are you talking about? You may not agree with my assessments, but I don't think they lack 'clarity'.
I understand that but some may become confused when you say "I prefer white in this position" when talking about the opening. I don't agree or disagree with anything stated here so far.

NL

Moves
03 Nov 08

I understand that but some may become confused when you say "I prefer white in this position" when talking about the opening. I don't agree or disagree with anything stated here so far.
Re-read it and you'll see I wrote "I still much prefer white in this position" clearly implying that white has got much more out of the opening that he might normally expect.

t

Moves
03 Nov 08

Re-read it and you'll see I wrote "I still much prefer white in this position" clearly implying that white has got much more out of the opening that he might normally expect.
I noticed that but others aren't quite as observant as me. You also haven't said "much" in all your arguments and it makes it seem as if it is an opinion. I am not trying to get into a debate over something so small. I only made a small request because I thought it would make things clearer for people reading this thread.

NL

Moves
04 Nov 08

I noticed that but others aren't quite as observant as me. You also haven't said "much" in all your arguments and it makes it seem as if it is an opinion. I am not trying to get into a debate over something so small. I only made a small request because I thought it would make things clearer for people reading this thread.
Of course, the assessments I give are my opinion, which people can agree or disagree with as they prefer.

t

Moves
04 Nov 08

Of course, the assessments I give are my opinion, which people can agree or disagree with as they prefer.
I give up. I don't have the patience to deal with stubborn chess players. A simple yes I will do that or no I will not do that would have sufficed. Good day.

NL

Moves
04 Nov 08

I give up. I don't have the patience to deal with stubborn chess players. A simple yes I will do that or no I will not do that would have sufficed. Good day.
Good, because I don't have the patience to deal with pathetic nitpickers like yourself who obviously understand or care nothing about the contents of the thread but just join in at the end to make a petty little point that hardly anyone else could conceivably have been bothered about.

(For anyone wondering what the fuss is all about, tomtom232 seems to have taken umbrage when I wrote "I still much prefer white's position" after some analysis I posted; and not because he disagreed with my assessment but with my phraseology!)

t

Moves
04 Nov 08
1 edit

Good, because I don't have the patience to deal with pathetic nitpickers like yourself who obviously understand or care nothing about the contents of the thread but just join in at the end to make a petty little point that hardly anyone else could conceivably have been bothered about.

(For anyone wondering what the fuss is all about, tomtom232 seems analysis I posted; and not because he disagreed with my assessment but with my phraseology!)
I understand and care for the content of the thread just fine. It's arrogant pricks like you who I neither understand nor care for. People who decide to cast a bad light on others AFTER they have declared they will partake no longer in the discussion.

My point had no ill intent but you seemed to have taken it that way. It never ceases to amaze me how socially inept and arrogant people like you can take offence at even the simplest of requests. It wouldn't have been hard to fulfil it either rather easier since you would have had less to write.

I also most certainly did not take "umbrage" at that phrase nor even at that particular post. I, as I said before, made a simple measly request.

e
leperchaun messiah

thru a glass onion

Moves
05 Nov 08

(For anyone wondering what the fuss is all about, tomtom232 seems to have taken umbrage when I wrote "I still much prefer white's position" after some analysis I posted; and not because he disagreed with my assessment but with my phraseology!)
No doubt about it.