K + N + B vs K

K + N + B vs K

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
13 Oct 10
1 edit

Originally posted by Paul Leggett
Usually they agree to draw or one person resigns before they actually get there, because both players see it coming.
that probably applies to a lot of amateur endings with a piece (or two) down as well. people simply resign after losing a piece.

one of the most shocking initial endgame study revelations to me, was how non-trivial winning them a piece up really is. like learning rook endings and running into 'a forced win' with queening a pawn against a rook, over and over again, then suddenly realizing: "wait, I can't mate with Q vs R?!?" (-then I of course went and taught myself just that)

n
Ronin

Hereford Boathouse

Moves
13 Oct 10

I think the endgame imbalances are highly indicative of the opening you choose. I have often gotten R+B v R and never had KBN v K -.
Outside maybe 1 or 2 blitz games I have never gotten KBB v K

The only interesting ending I have recently is Q+ pawn v RB where we both had 2 pawns on the otherside of the board allowing me to break the fortress.

The only caveat to that is that in OTB I wont hesitate to sac a minor piece to have a won pawn endame-