Isolated QP

Isolated QP

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
28 May 07

We're taught as beginners to avoid isolating our pawns, and most of us have run into head-aches when we've had to defend isolated pawns. So why are there so many openings in which top players routinely isolate their queen pawn without batting an eye?

k

washington

Moves
28 May 07

they use that pawn as an outpost for knights and a battering ram in others. its for attacking purposes if you get sent into a passive position concider yourself screwed.

i

Sydney

Moves
28 May 07

http://www.kenilworthchessclub.org/articles/opening/isolani/isolani-best-A.htm

An interesting lecture on just this topic

Enjoy!

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
28 May 07

Originally posted by Kunsoo
We're taught as beginners to avoid isolating our pawns, and most of us have run into head-aches when we've had to defend isolated pawns. So why are there so many openings in which top players routinely isolate their queen pawn without batting an eye?
You need to make use of the open c and e files with your rooks.

D

c

Moves
28 May 07

The IQP is an endgame disadvantage, but it can be a middle game advantage. It gives you two open files to attack down, and a space advantage which well help you attack. Here is an entire book on the IQP position http://www.amazon.com/Winning-Pawn-Structures-Alexander-Baburin/dp/0713480092

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
28 May 07

The d-pawn can be used as a weapon! The general plan associated with this isolona is to prepare it's advance. If the side with the isolated pawn succeeds in building up superior pressure on the square in front of the pawn then then they end up with a centralised piece in the center once the exchanges finish. Alexander Baburin has written a whole book on handling this pawn as the position can be reached via numerous openings. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the most common middle game position as it can be reached from both 1.e4 and 1.d4 (so that includes the French, QG, Nimzo to name but a few...) I have this book and now try to transpose into this position whenever possible. I recommend it but it's fairly advanced. It wasn't beyond me but I wasn't convinced my time would be well spent reading the whole thing as this position doesn't come up often enough for me to really get heavy into the theory...

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
28 May 07

Originally posted by Marinkatomb
The d-pawn can be used as a weapon! The general plan associated with this isolona is to prepare it's advance. If the side with the isolated pawn succeeds in building up superior pressure on the square in front of the pawn then then they end up with a centralised piece in the center once the exchanges finish. Alexander Baburin has written a whole book on ...[text shortened]... s this position doesn't come up often enough for me to really get heavy into the theory...
baburin's book was the reason I switched from 1.e4 to 1.d4.

t

Moves
28 May 07

Very usefull site !
thanks

STS

Moves
28 May 07

Originally posted by Kunsoo
Nimzowich called the isolated QP the "isolani',wrote a book about it, it can be a good or bad thing.

Moves
28 May 07

Thanx to all of you. I'll check out those materials.