Is this gamesmanship?  Or a legitimate tactic?

Is this gamesmanship? Or a legitimate tactic?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i

Hull, UK

Moves
14 Apr 08

Originally posted by Pigface1
Maybe Russ could make a few "no vacation allowed" tournaments for those who despise it so... personally I dont care about people using their vacation, I had to when I moved and still do not have my own internet connection, I threw up some vacation time and still played when I could during this time via other peoples houses etc, I needed to still be on vacat ...[text shortened]... I dont think that this can be considered unfair although I am sure not everyone will agree 🙂
I'm in a very similar situation. I'm doing my dissertation and so can't guarantee when I'll be on, but it's nice to be able to move when I have a break. That may well disappear when the deadline is looming though, hence the need for a vacation flag. I think the advantages of the present system far out weigh the disadvantages.

P

Moves
14 Apr 08
1 edit

Originally posted by icantwrite
I'm in a very similar situation. I'm doing my dissertation and so can't guarantee when I'll be on, but it's nice to be able to move when I have a break. That may well disappear when the deadline is looming though, hence the need for a vacation flag. I think the advantages of the present system far out weigh the disadvantages.
Agreed,..

I can see why people think that people are using it unfairly, but then vacation time IS there to be used in however we see fit, once its gone its gone, so the people who are using it with the sole intention of dragging out some games cannot do so forever, just bide your time, then kill them when they run out of vacation 🙂

EDIt

As Wormwood stated, very very few players can be online 365 days a year (and shouldnt be imo!!) so vacation time is essential to a site of this nature I think.

Maybe "hardcore" tournaments should be exempt from using vacation, meaning a player can use vacation as normal but it will not protect any hardcore tournaments, only the other games, that would suit everyone, I am not sure how easy this would be to implement however but it seems to be meeting people half way and bringing back meaning to "hardcore"