Is this cheating?

Is this cheating?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G

Moves
05 Apr 07

What if I played a game against someone and then put the game up on the boards for analysis?

Nothing, right? What if me and the same person had a second game in progress that was progressing exactly like the game that was up for analysis?

Is that a violation of any rule?

I almost did this but then I noticed the second game was going like the first and figured that might be considered trying to cheat or something. Even if it isn't cheating it seems wrong.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
05 Apr 07

If a second game goes exactly as the first it is nt cheating to use things learned in the first to do in the second (but at this point things will become different, won't they?)

Moves
05 Apr 07

It's not out and out cheating but borderline - as long as players are as honest as you then it isn't a problem!

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
05 Apr 07
2 edits

Originally posted by TheGambit
It's not out and out cheating but borderline - as long as players are as honest as you then it isn't a problem!
Huh?

If you are in a position in an existing game, and a finished game... and you start asking questions about the finished game, while the position still matches the game in progress.... you have definitely cheated.

Just because you have a finished game that matches a game in progress doesn't mean you have the green light to ask about the finished game... because it still matches a game in progress.

If you have a game in progress you can't ask about any of those positions from the game. It is cheating and a matching finished game is not an excuse to get help on your positions.

Edit The analysis should have been done BEFORE this line was followed again. Now that the game is in progress, there will be 2 games that can be analyzed once they are finished.

P-

Moves
05 Apr 07

And this is written in the rules is it?

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
05 Apr 07
1 edit

And this is written in the rules is it?
Yes. This game is in progress, the position is a current game.

Phlabibit (RHP Game Mod)

I added another edit to my original.

Moves
05 Apr 07
1 edit

No it's not, he would be asking about a finished game - which just happens to match a current game.

edit: all I'm saying is that the rules don't explicitly state this as cheating.

c

Moves
05 Apr 07

No it's not, he would be asking about a finished game - which just happens to match a current game.
Gambit, out of curiousity - what's your repertoire?

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
05 Apr 07
1 edit

Someone is going to notice you have a game in the same position (happens all the time) and call someone a cheat. Try and deny you are cheating since you did ask about the position.

It will be very hard to defend yourself since this position is in an existing game.

The analysis should have been done before the line was followed again.

Edit Let's say you have 100 games, why did you pick that game to analyze now? Because you are IN THAT POSITION in another game. You are trying to go around a rule to get advice in an existing game.

P-

Moves
05 Apr 07

I agree with what you're saying Phlab, just I can see some people getting away with it.

CMS - repertoire? Openings?

r
Ginger Scum

Paranoia

Moves
05 Apr 07

If you have to ask, it's probably cheating.

c

Moves
05 Apr 07

I agree with what you're saying Phlab, just I can see some people getting away with it.

Yeah, sorry, opening rep.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
05 Apr 07

Yes, but since someone is asking an honest question wanted to give an honest answer.

P-

G

Moves
05 Apr 07

What if I posted the game for review and then started another game with the person and they did the same opening sequence of moves?

That obviously couldn't be called cheating.

It doesn't matter really, I did something different in the second game and I am going to win. I just thought the question was interesting.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
05 Apr 07

Originally posted by Gortron
What if I posted the game for review and then started another game with the person and they did the same opening sequence of moves?

That obviously couldn't be called cheating.

It doesn't matter really, I did something different in the second game and I am going to win. I just thought the question was interesting.
There would only be a problem if the game was still being analyzed as you got up to those moves. If someone posts move 21 today, and you make move 21 tomorrow... now there is a problem. If the analysis was completed, there is no problems following that line.

Also, chances are the guy you are playing is going to make a different move than your line from the thread... unless they had been reading the same thread and wanted to try a line.

P-