Is This Appropriate?

Is This Appropriate?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Slappy slap slap

Under your bed...

Moves
04 Jan 07

Originally posted by dmnelson84
On occasion, I'll see a move that my opponent should have made but overlooked. Is it appropriate to tell them "Hey, you missed X opportunity."? Do I need to wait until the game is over to make such a remark?
If my opponent makes a really bad or questionable move, I send them "???".

M
me, not you

CaNaDa

Moves
04 Jan 07

Originally posted by slappy115
If my opponent makes a really bad or questionable move, I send them "???".
i hate getting that, with the little 'captured queen' pic lol

D

Moves
04 Jan 07

Yeah, some much higher players give me pointers. If the lower rated player you are playing asks for advice and have already said, "Yeah, feel free to point out x mistake." then go for it. Otherwise you're just being a prick.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
04 Jan 07

Originally posted by DoctorDara
Yeah, some much higher players give me pointers. If the lower rated player you are playing asks for advice and have already said, "Yeah, feel free to point out x mistake." then go for it. Otherwise you're just being a prick.
I don't think you should talk about moves during a game. Personally I don't think my rating would be high enough to give anyone pointers...I leave that to the experts, and higher. Even then , they will argue among themselves what was the better move...lol....

s
Rooney 8

LA

Moves
04 Jan 07

Originally posted by Dies Irae
I wondered the same thing and have been tempted to do likewise.

However, I'd wait for the end for a bunch of reasons. Firstly, though the immediate danger may have passed, you might give him ideas for the future. Secondly, if I missed a sweet move, and then you told me, I would look over my moves 2 or 3 extra times so it never happened again. Thirdl ...[text shortened]... Fourth, I might think you were trying to be condescending or prickish.

So I'd say wait.
And Five, its possible you may end up looking like a fool because what you thought was a mistake turns out to be a Greek Gift!

Moves
04 Jan 07
1 edit

Id never point out a missed move in a correspondence game no more than I would point it out OTB. Analysis after the game is fine but during the game while its still in progress any comment or analysis could swing the game, maybe they didnt noticed they missed a winning move and after you pointed it out feel more depressed etc about that game from there on.

DI
I Love U

LaLa Land

Moves
04 Jan 07

Originally posted by spud2048
And Five, its possible you may end up looking like a fool because what you thought was a mistake turns out to be a Greek Gift!
Yeah, or you are just plain wrong and a line you thought was inevitable was actually just a chimera. And then you look like a self-absorbed idiot.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
04 Jan 07

Originally posted by Bedlam
Id never point out a missed move in a correspondence game no more than I would point it out OTB. Analysis after the game is fine but during the game while its still in progress any comment or analysis could swing the game, maybe they didnt noticed they missed a winning move and after you pointed it out feel more depressed etc about that game from there on.
I once missed a move and my opponent did also.

Thankful I PM'd him. I can't believe we both missed X, Y & Z and made my move, where upon he did X, Y & Z and my "won" game became exceedingly more difficult.

dsR

Big D

Moves
04 Jan 07

Pointing out your opponent's weak play during anything other than a skittles game would be considered highly inappropriate. After the game, though, feel free to point out the shortcomings in your opponent's play.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
04 Jan 07

Originally posted by Bedlam
[....] Analysis after the game is fine but during the game while its still in progress any comment or analysis could swing the game, maybe they didnt noticed they missed a winning move and after you pointed it out feel more depressed etc about that game from there on.
Thats right