Is there any joy in playing positional chess?

Is there any joy in playing positional chess?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
20 Feb 13

Originally posted by Pudgy Ninja
I think that the whole premise of this question is flawed. Dividing up players into the categories of "positional" and "combinatorial/tactical" is a false dichotomy. So called positional players are still looking for tactical opportunities as they improve their positions and tactical players improve their positional to create tactical opportunities. T ...[text shortened]... shop in that spot, it kind of looks like I did because it's exactly where it needs to be.
This is what I should have said.

R

Moves
20 Feb 13

Originally posted by RJHinds
I guess the joy only comes when one has positioned his/her pieces so that a tactical brilliancy can be delivered. 😏
The opposite is also truth.There is great joy when a tactical brilliancy leads to a positionally won game.

K
Demon Duck

of Doom!

Moves
20 Feb 13

Originally posted by RJHinds
I guess the joy only comes when one has positioned his/her pieces so that a tactical brilliancy can be delivered. 😏
Sometimes the joy is somewhat muted because the opponent realises the mess he is in and resigns so the tactical brilliancy is stillborn. OTB i'll take the tactical brilliance but in serious corrspondence play I'll take the win however it arrives.

t

Moves
21 Feb 13

Originally posted by Roper300
The opposite is also truth.There is great joy when a tactical brilliancy leads to a positionally won game.
Well, when the enemy king is checkmated I would think that is a positionally won game.

I think the greatest joy for me comes when I outplay the opponent from an equal position and it builds into a won ending... Of course a tactical brilliance, like a queen sac, is better for sharing.