Is it considered bad form...

Is it considered bad form...

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

Moves
05 Apr 07

...to deny a takeback request on FICS when it is obviously the worst possible move - missed mate and lost Queen in one go?

RS

Under ur ChessBoard!

Moves
05 Apr 07

Originally posted by st00p1dfac3
...to deny a takeback request on FICS when it is obviously the worst possible move - missed mate and lost Queen in one go?
I never trust anyone who allows takebacks (unless maybe the game froze em on and the obviously didn't move the piece all the way)

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
05 Apr 07

"set notakeback 1"

S

Moves
05 Apr 07

I accept them, if its unrated, or, if they were going to lose anyway (despite the new move)

but unless those circumstances apply, or some other compelling reason, I dont acept them.

M

Earth

Moves
05 Apr 07

Originally posted by st00p1dfac3
No it is not bad form.
Just as with over the board chess, once you let go of the piece, that is your move, and that is it.
A player has to click on the piece, click on its destination, and then click on submit to play a move. It cannot be done by accident.
Therefore the fact that your opponent then looks at the position and thinks 'oh no, I want to take that back' indicates only that they failed to analyse the position correctly in the first place.
Not only should you not feel bad, you should feel nothing! This has been the rule for generations, and your opponent should feel bad (if anyone has to) for asking the question and trying to emotionally blackmail you into reversing the rules of chess.
Sleep easy mate 🙂

s

Moves
05 Apr 07

Originally posted by Policestate
No it is not bad form.
Just as with over the board chess, once you let go of the piece, that is your move, and that is it.
A player has to click on the piece, click on its destination, and then click on submit to play a move. It cannot be done by accident.
Therefore the fact that your opponent then looks at the position and thinks 'oh no, I want to ta ...[text shortened]... nd trying to emotionally blackmail you into reversing the rules of chess.
Sleep easy mate 🙂
Well, I wasn't losing sleep over it - It's just that a few people have tried it now and I was starting to get curious if it's a FICS "thing." I have slipped up (using a poxy touchpad thingy instead of a mouse) but I don't even know how to request that I be allowed to take back a move and I won't bother finding out. Curiosity really... Thanks.

Also, the reason I asked here, and not there is that I haven't figured out that crazy chat stuff the youngsters are so worked up about these days...

😀

o

Moves
05 Apr 07

I consider requesting takebacks bad form.

T

Moves
05 Apr 07

Should only be used if you are teaching in an unrated game and how new to chess your opponnet is. Else it is a teaching tool itself.

FL

over there

Moves
05 Apr 07

Never let your opponent undo. You can't take back a move in a tournament, why should you anytime else?

S

Dublin

Moves
05 Apr 07

I allowed a takeback once. It was obvious that his mouse had slipped and dropped the queen on the wrong square. That would be the only situation in which I would.