Important Question

Important Question

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

n
The Ever Living

Third Earth

Moves
30 Jan 08

Is it aginst the rules for me to use a book on how to help me mate with a bishop and knight?

I can't remember how to do it 🙁

RS

Under ur ChessBoard!

Moves
30 Jan 08

Originally posted by najdorfslayer
Is it aginst the rules for me to use a book on how to help me mate with a bishop and knight?

-.- very funny

z

Moves
31 Jan 08
1 edit

I believe that all books are allowed...

That said, I reworded out how to do it recently without to much effort. There is literally one difficult piece

G
Mr. Shield

Moves
31 Jan 08

I think it's only opening books. I think Dragon Fire had a thread about something like this not too long ago. Wondering whether it was OK to read up on strategy that was currently happening in one of his games (hypothetically, I believe).

Interesting question, unclear answer.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
31 Jan 08
1 edit

yep, you can:

3.(b) While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines, chess computers or be assisted by a third party. Endgame tablebases may not be consulted during play but you may reference books, databases consisting of previously played games between human players, and other pre-existing research materials.

but I just realized that might exclude training against a KNB-bot while the game is going on. I mean, that's clearly engine assistance of some kind.

Kk

Moves
31 Jan 08

Im sure a player of your caliber can work it out without a book.

B

Moves
31 Jan 08

Originally posted by Kiwi kid
Im sure a player of your caliber can work it out without a book.
winning that is very hard

e8

Moves
31 Jan 08

Whatever you do, don't get caught.😛

TC

Moves
31 Jan 08

There are more than one 'system' on how to accomplish this.

I, personally, like the way it's taught on Pandolfini's endgame book.

F

Moves
31 Jan 08

Book is okay, engine is not okay.

But as I see it, when the game is over, then you can use an engine to learn how a mate K+N+B vs K is done.
Not very hard, btw, just move consuming.

anybody seen my

underpants??

Moves
31 Jan 08

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Book is okay, engine is not okay.

But as I see it, when the game is over, then you can use an engine to learn how a mate K+N+B vs K is done.
Not very hard, btw, just move consuming.
I believe the idea is to drive the king into a corner square that is the same color as your bishop, can take 30 moves to accomplish

F

Moves
31 Jan 08

Originally posted by duecer
I believe the idea is to drive the king into a corner square that is the same color as your bishop, can take 30 moves to accomplish
... and not making too many mistakes, or the 50-move rule can apply.

London

Moves
31 Jan 08
1 edit

Curiously it's not too difficult to learn to do this against best play...there is a bot on ICC that I used to kill for breakfast with this ending. There is a pattern and quite a satisfying one too.

But with a human player who plays a less good move that requires you to play an unfamiliar pattern...now that could well be tricky. The problem is if you make a slip you often go back from say mate in 12 to mate in 26...so as the poster above mentioned...it's easy to draw under the 50 move rule.

BTW it's hard to find a human OTB player - strong enough to try to put up resistance - but still willing to sit there and shuffle the king around for half an hour while you practice this.

Also there are a few players, Silman included, who think it a waste of time to learn this on account of the ending being so rare.

anybody seen my

underpants??

Moves
31 Jan 08

Originally posted by Mahout
Curiously it's not too difficult to learn to do this against best play...there is a bot on ICC that I used to kill for breakfast with this ending. There is a pattern and quite a satisfying one too.

But with a human player who plays a less good move that requires you to play an unfamiliar pattern...now that could well be tricky. The problem is if you ma ...[text shortened]... included, who think it a waste of time to learn this on account of the ending being so rare.
I would disagree. Learning endings like that teach you how to think and see the patterns on the board; being able to do it is a valuble tool you can transpose to different aspects of your game

F

Moves
31 Jan 08

A few times I have came up with the KBN vs K.

Once when I sat there with a lne king just watching my opponent not knowing how to mate me. Draw.

Once when I had the KBN and my opponent gave up knowing he was lost. What he didn't know was that I didn't, at the time, know how to ate him. Now I do.