I'm Playing God

I'm Playing God

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a

Moves
24 Jan 08

I am not condemning anything here, but I would have to say that naming yourself as God or Jesus is incredibly vain and blasphemous.
(Before anyone points out, yes my name comes from a Greek god, but that doesn't count)
😛

MA

Moves
24 Jan 08

Game 1663180

Still "in progress" even though its last move (also its first) was played in December '05. I wonder how many of these "immortal" games there are and how much of the system's resources they waste. Somebody should bring this to Russ' attention and suggest an automatic delete after timeout+timebank in such cases.

a

Moves
24 Jan 08

Originally posted by Mark Adkins
Game 1663180

Still "in progress" even though its last move (also its first) was played in December '05. I wonder how many of these "immortal" games there are and how much of the system's resources they waste. Somebody should bring this to Russ' attention and suggest an automatic delete after timeout+timebank in such cases.
Good idea. After about a month, inactive games with no timeout/timebank should be deleted.

e8

Moves
24 Jan 08

Originally posted by Mahout
What makes you think you're playing God?
Playing at God or with God or against God; which do you mean?😀

z

Moves
24 Jan 08
1 edit

This site is run off of a database, so as long as neither player logs in, and other people don't search for those games, very little. It might impact indexing, but probably not significantly.

Note that this is based off of my experiences with databases (former IT developer, now in R&D on mobile devices) and what I know of the site.

Edit: This was in reply to Mark Adkins comment above about abandoned games and system resources.

MA

Moves
24 Jan 08
2 edits

Originally posted by zebano
This site is run off of a database, so as long as neither player logs in, and other people don't search for those games, very little. It might impact indexing, but probably not significantly.

Note that this is based off of my experiences with databases (former IT developer, now in R&D on mobile devices) and what I know of the site.

Edit: This was in reply to Mark Adkins comment above about abandoned games and system resources.
However, those indices are probably used to budget things like max games per player, since in most cases a game that exists *will* require other system resources as it is played. Also, it is seldom a good idea to permit system indices to grow without bound owing to a build-up of trash: the value of the index may have hidden, indirect effects, and also after passing some point could even result in buggy behavior. Who knows what kind of maximum value the assigned variable has, representationally, or what would happen if the system attempted to exceed it due to a build up of "immortal" inactive games; possibly some sort of carry-over resulting in a stack error affecting other parts of the system.

Pale Blue Dot

Moves
24 Jan 08

Originally posted by Mark Adkins
Game 1663180

Maybe every possible move entails imperfection. Or He's worried He'll be hoisted with the 1. e4 c5 1-0 petard.

a

Moves
24 Jan 08
3 edits

He's definitely a multiple account user. Or some are imposters.

User 393372
User 23854
User 63252

MA

Moves
24 Jan 08

Originally posted by Green Paladin
Maybe every possible move entails imperfection. Or He's worried He'll be hoisted with the 1. e4 c5 1-0 petard.
He probably started the game during a quiet moment -- you know, sitting around waiting for three days to elapse before somebody rolls away the rock. I imagine him on another planet, bringing the Word, sitting in a cave-tomb smoking Benson & Hedges and using Voyager 1 or something to relay the signals from his wireless palm pilot. Of course, he had to split as soon as he heard the rubes struggling to move the boulder, and wouldn't you know, the game has a three-day turn around.

a

Moves
24 Jan 08

Originally posted by Green Paladin
Ha! Very clever. I just read about this in the news, think the Bulgarian is a puffed-up popinjay- Short is one of the top players.

m

Moves
24 Jan 08

This guy can beat God

User 136553

JE

Moves
24 Jan 08

Originally posted by ares3
I am not condemning anything here, but I would have to say that naming yourself as God or Jesus is incredibly vain and blasphemous.
(Before anyone points out, yes my name comes from a Greek god, but that doesn't count)
😛
I don't think there is much difference to be honest...

d

1. e4!!

Moves
25 Jan 08

Didn't Frank Burns play god in a movie?

FB
Great Big Stees

In Check

Moves
25 Jan 08

Originally posted by ares3
😛
Lighten up Francis.

FB
Great Big Stees

In Check

Moves
25 Jan 08

Originally posted by excalibur 8
Playing at God or with God or against God; which do you mean?😀
Against. That doesn't make me the Anti-Christ does it?