I Adjust

I Adjust

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alekhine's Gun

🤔 Bolton

Moves
26 Jul 20

Looking through an old book, there is a rule about announcing "I adjust" to be able to straight ones 'piece' during OTB. Does anyone here play along that old rule?

Comment's welcome.

s
The Mighty Messenger

The Wood of N'Kai

Moves
27 Jul 20
1 edit

Yes, on an OTB event it's a rule. And you adjust only when it's your turn to move.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
27 Jul 20

@sundown316 said
Yes, on an OTB event it's a rule. And you adjust only when it's your turn to move.
In German we use the French term "J'adoube"

Alekhine's Gun

🤔 Bolton

Moves
27 Jul 20

@sundown316
I'm reminded of a dispute on the North West U.K. Open events about opponents getting up for a stroll (as many do😒) & by adjusting without sight caused a big row.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
27 Jul 20

@hells-caretaker said
Looking through an old book, there is a rule about announcing "I adjust" to be able to straight ones 'piece' during OTB. Does anyone here play along that old rule?

Comment's welcome.
Sometimes I just do it on the fly.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
28 Jul 20

@hells-caretaker said

Comment's welcome.
You must say something before adjusting a piece on the board.
Commonplace in English speaking countries is j'adoube as ponderable
has pointed out. As far as I am aware it is nonsensical in French!

What do the French say?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
28 Jul 20

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milan_Matulovi%C4%87 for abuse of this rule.

Moves
28 Jul 20
1 edit

@hells-caretaker said

Comment's welcome.
I think that goes along with another old rule that says if you touch a piece, then that's the piece you must move (unless you announce in advance that you are adjusting it).

I suppose a really abusive application would be to say "j'adoube" then switch all your pieces around so that you end up playing with some kind of 960 vs classical setup.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
28 Jul 20

@wolfgang59 said

What do the French say?
"adouber" is adjusting. So I think it makes sense in French (bt I am not a native Speaker. The wikipedia Claims that "J'adoube" is used in France (https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adouber_(%C3%A9checs) the gibberish (%C3%A9) is "é"

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
28 Jul 20

@ponderable said
"adouber" is adjusting. So I think it makes sense in French (bt I am not a native Speaker. The wikipedia Claims that "J'adoube" is used in France (https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adouber_(%C3%A9checs) the gibberish (%C3%A9) is "é"
Google translate gives the verb adouber as "to dub" (ie knight someone).
The verb to adjust is régler.

Any native French speakers here?

Moves
28 Jul 20

@wolfgang59

From "Le Petit Robert" - the authoritative French dictionary

Adouber - originally [around 1080] referred to the process of knighting someone by tapping them on the shoulder. It now means:

[1] The process of arming a knight by adoubement
[2] By extension [1752] related to 'to equip' or 'to arrange' : In chess to replace a piece moved by accident. When touching a piece without intending to play, "J'adoube".

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
29 Jul 20

@wolfgang59 said

What do the French say?
I can't remember what happened in the London League. Based on watching footage of grandmasters they make their move and adjustment of pieces happens just after the move, typically their opponent joins in and adjusts theirs and as long as no one attempts to shift a piece from its starting square there isn't an argument. I don't think either of them ever says "j'aboube" or anything else.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
29 Jul 20

@deepthought said
I can't remember what happened in the London League. Based on watching footage of grandmasters they make their move and adjustment of pieces happens just after the move, typically their opponent joins in and adjusts theirs and as long as no one attempts to shift a piece from its starting square there isn't an argument. I don't think either of them ever says "j'aboube" or anything else.
I played in the London Commercial League and it was always "j'adoube".
Played a few games for Barnet in the Herts League and I'm sure it would
have been the same there too.

I'd be miffed if someone touched a piece without saying anything.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
29 Jul 20

@aquatabby said
@wolfgang59

From "Le Petit Robert" - the authoritative French dictionary

Adouber - originally [around 1080] referred to the process of knighting someone by tapping them on the shoulder. It now means:

[1] The process of arming a knight by adoubement
[2] By extension [1752] related to 'to equip' or 'to arrange' : In chess to replace a piece moved by accident. When touching a piece without intending to play, "J'adoube".
Thanks for that.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
29 Jul 20

@wolfgang59 said
I played in the London Commercial League and it was always "j'adoube".
Played a few games for Barnet in the Herts League and I'm sure it would
have been the same there too.

I'd be miffed if someone touched a piece without saying anything.
How many professionals, in other words IMs and GMs were playing? What it is is that the behaviour among amateurs is different from the behaviour amongst Grandmasters, especially with regard to draw offers and resignations. In games between Grandmasters both players know it's a theoretical draw and the one on move makes a move that maintains the draw and sticks out his hand, they don't verbally offer draws - at least this is what Ben Finegold was saying in one of his videos on the Atlanta Chess Club YouTube site. You don't get players carrying on for 50 moves in a K + N + N v K + B ending - white can win this, but it requires that black goof up monstrously. So I'm wondering if this is the same regarding the centering of pieces.