How to Resign with honor

How to Resign with honor

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A

Frostbyte Falls

Moves
08 Jan 07

I am not sure many newcomers or novices know how to resign a game. Now I know it's nice to play it out to the end sometimes, but when all is totally lost come on already resign and get on to a new game.
Be a gentleman congratulate your opponent and gracefully resign. Its easy just type a message like: Great game enjoy it, congrats.
and then press the resign button.
Its always nice to start a new game and forget the old one you just lost. More on as they say. LOL

l

Moves
08 Jan 07

i too dislike people who don't resign when they should do it. i have played with intermediate players (1400-1600) who insist on playing on with a rock or 3 pawns behind. quite boring imho, but it's their right.

anyway, to clear some misconceptions (i have really heard those questions from friends of mine):
- it dosn't matter if you ressign or get matted on table. score is still 0-1.
- it doesn't matter for rating if you loose a game in 4 movs or in 100 moves or resign, it is still a loss (see faq on how rating is computed).

A

Frostbyte Falls

Moves
08 Jan 07

It's not disliking them, its the sportmanship of Chess. As in all contests there just are certain ethics to follow and as always the honor of being a respectful player to your opponents. Thats all just simple ethics or should we same "table manners." LOL😀

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
08 Jan 07

if I had an euro for every thread a newcomer starts about people not resigning when he'd like them to...

DI
I Love U

LaLa Land

Moves
08 Jan 07

Originally posted by wormwood
if I had an euro for every thread a newcomer starts about people not resigning when he'd like them to...
I've been on these forums for 4 weeks and I've seen 8 of these threads so far.

There is no such thing as manners on the internet. And resignation is a choice. If he wants to keep fighting, he can do what he wants.

m

Moves
08 Jan 07

U.S. Senior Master Dr. Eliot Hearst once defined resignation as "a way of terminating a game, unkown to weak players." That was in 1962. Some things never change.

A

Frostbyte Falls

Moves
08 Jan 07
1 edit

Yea I notice that in todays world, do as you wish the heck with others.
Everything goes, if it feels good do it.
So as in chess as in the world. Oh p.s. hey if I had a nickel for every minute I waited be it here or OTB or any where I be Bill Gates runner up.
Do you play chess with your elbows on the table?🙄🙂😀

A

Frostbyte Falls

Moves
08 Jan 07

Originally posted by masscat
U.S. Senior Master Dr. Eliot Hearst once defined resignation as "a way of terminating a game, unkown to weak players." That was in 1962. Some things never change.
Way to go see theres still hope in the world. 😉

b
perpetualEditMonkey

Nova Scotia

Moves
08 Jan 07
2 edits

Originally posted by wormwood
Hehe, I was just thinking the same. Has it been a week already? Sigh...

I don't enjoy playing games that I'm losing. If I'm in a losing position and think that I could flip the board around and mate Fritz 10 or Kasparov, or I just don't want to play the game anymore, I'll resign. If I I lack faith in my oppnent's endgame skills, have play left, have drawing chances, or have something left to learn, I probably will not resign unless I have too many games on the go. The only provable axiom is that nobody ever won a game by resigning.

Here's the thing, I resign because resigning is good for *me*, not because it's good for *my opponent*. As a winner, their prize for playing is winning the game. As a loser, my prize is deciding whether I want to end the game before checkmate or not.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
08 Jan 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Armagoden
Oh p.s. hey if I had a nickel for every minute I waited be it here or OTB or any where I be Bill Gates runner up.
it's correspondence chess we play here, you're not supposed to be in a hurry.

I understand your frustration, but the thing is, we get 1-2 of these threads every week, and none of them makes any difference. ever.

it would be stupid for a beginner to trust his opponent saying a game is lost and resignable. the only way he's gonna learn it, is by playing these games out. just mate the guy as fast as possible, and he'll learn his lesson eventually. we all did.

FL

over there

Moves
08 Jan 07

I consider it rude if my opponent doesn't resign a lost game. Whether you resign, or get mated, you still lose. You still lose the same amount of points.

R
The Rams

Moves
08 Jan 07
1 edit

the only "unacceptable" resignation is to do so the move before an inevitable checkmate.

You can ALWAYS comeback. Eventually, I am going to post my greatest comeback on my profile, if I complete it successfully: I want to show just why you should not resign...I was down by 9 points (a queen)

z

Moves
08 Jan 07

but sometimes we dont lose the game .... Game 2954323 🙂

k

Moves
08 Jan 07

I really truly hate resigning.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
08 Jan 07

Originally posted by Armagoden
I am not sure many newcomers or novices know how to resign a game. Now I know it's nice to play it out to the end sometimes, but when all is totally lost come on already resign and get on to a new game.
Be a gentleman congratulate your opponent and gracefully resign. Its easy just type a message like: Great game enjoy it, congrats.
and then press the ...[text shortened]... always nice to start a new game and forget the old one you just lost. More on as they say. LOL
It's easy to say "resign when all is totally lost", but not so easy to define what 'totally lost' is.