How to Reasses your Chess by Jeremy Silman

How to Reasses your Chess by Jeremy Silman

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i
SelfProclaimedTitler

Moves
15 Jan 07

It was a joke! I learnt opposition, I have to learn outflanking, so then I'll be able to solve it

W
Angler

River City

Moves
15 Jan 07

Originally posted by ivan2908
It was a joke! I learnt opposition, I have to learn outflanking, so then I'll be able to solve it
Then, your critical position looks something like:

white to move

S

Canukistan

Moves
15 Jan 07

Originally posted by masscat
...He knew how to proceed; all he had to do was work out the particulars of that position. Silman’s method will help guide you in that area.
That says it. I think a lot of poor reviews from readers come from those who are weaker in the "working out the particulars" department. On the other hand there are a good number of people who need just what this book offers and who as a result tend to oversell it's benefits. I think the story is similar for most books that tend to get mixed reviews from the readership.

Y

Moves
15 Jan 07

those who give it bad reviews are the ones who are too lazy to take the time and decipher the lessons in the book.

and yea, Silman recommends going over LOTS of games to see how imbalances play a role, identify reoccuring positions, etc.
for books to buy (for a beginner who just started chess)
1. Play Winning Chess
2. Winning Chess Tactics + Silman's Complete Endgame Course (just start with it)
3. Reassess your Chess (+ Amateur's Mind optional)
4. Alekhine, Tal, Kasparov game collection (pick 1)

c

Moves
15 Jan 07

Originally posted by YUG0slav
those who give it bad reviews are the ones who are too lazy to take the time and decipher the lessons in the book.

and yea, Silman recommends going over LOTS of games to see how imbalances play a role, identify reoccuring positions, etc.
for books to buy (for a beginner who just started chess)
1. Play Winning Chess
2. Winning Chess Tactics + Silma ...[text shortened]... ss your Chess (+ Amateur's Mind optional)
4. Alekhine, Tal, Kasparov game collection (pick 1)
4 should probably just read "Master game collection." It just depends on whose style you'd most like to emulate. Having said that "The Life and Games of Mikhail Tal" is excellent both for entertainment (Both his games, and his stories) and for learning.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
15 Jan 07

Outflanking - put a file between your king and your opponents. Give up the opposition, but retake it at the right time.

Remember that the side to move HAS opposition if the number of squares between the two kings is even.

From the first position, the g file should be reached first as it is the optimal one (between the two target squares)

D

Y

Moves
15 Jan 07

Originally posted by cmsMaster
4 should probably just read "Master game collection." It just depends on whose style you'd most like to emulate. Having said that "The Life and Games of Mikhail Tal" is excellent both for entertainment (Both his games, and his stories) and for learning.
I have My Best Games of Chess 1908-1937 by Alekhine instead

I referred those 3 GMs because they are the ones that Silman suggested in Reassess

A

Along the River

Moves
16 Jan 07

I started reading the book a few months ago. I got only till half of it so far but I think it really helped me. I look at the games differently, it helps planning.

t

Garner, NC

Moves
16 Jan 07

So, will you solve that for us?
Seems like black can stay on a8,a7 and/or b8 and not be driven off.

Am I missing something?

W
Angler

River City

Moves
16 Jan 07

Originally posted by techsouth
Am I missing something?
yep

i
SelfProclaimedTitler

Moves
16 Jan 07

Originally posted by Wulebgr
yep
Yesterday I went through that lesson in Jeremy's book, so now understand that principle. Probably is different and more difficult for do it when there are pawns involved ?

W
Angler

River City

Moves
16 Jan 07
1 edit

Yesterday I went through that lesson in Jeremy's book, so now understand that principle. Probably is different and more difficult for do it when there are pawns involved ?
I'll admit that this one from Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual gave me some trouble. Once I understood that it is simply a matter of opposition and outflanking (as well as as a couple potential pawn races), I was able to work it out.

White on move to win

i
SelfProclaimedTitler

Moves
16 Jan 07

Originally posted by Wulebgr
I'll admit that this one from Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual gave me some trouble. Once I understood that it is simply a matter of opposition and outflanking (as well as as a couple potential pawn races), I was able to work it out.

White on move to win

[fen]8/8/8/1p4k1/1P3p2/5K2/6P1/8 w - - 0 1[/fen]
Does the race begin after 1. g4 then black en passant capture, and 2. Kxg3 ?

W
Angler

River City

Moves
16 Jan 07

Does the race begin after 1. g4 then black en passant capture, and 2. Kxg3 ?
Nope. That draws.

i
SelfProclaimedTitler

Moves
16 Jan 07

Yes, I thought so ... I find it quite different, despite knowing the principles of opposition and outflanking. But I'll try to find it out