How to be really good in Endgames ??

How to be really good in Endgames ??

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D

Somewhere out there

Moves
03 Mar 08

Last week I had a game OTB that ended up in a rook-ending and when we had promoted the pawns and exchange the rook, there was a Queen-ending......I lost it.

Now I understand that I nead to study end-games carfully. I know the basics. I have some books at home. Can somebody give me a hint on how I can manage to be good in endgames untill July, this summer ???

i

Moves
03 Mar 08

Originally posted by DagamoStyle
Last week I had a game OTB that ended up in a rook-ending and when we had promoted the pawns and exchange the rook, there was a Queen-ending......I lost it.

Now I understand that I nead to study end-games carfully. I know the basics. I have some books at home. Can somebody give me a hint on how I can manage to be good in endgames untill July, this summer ???
join personal chess training.. its helped my endgames a huge amount and not much else has..

pm petrovitch or thgibbs

Moves
03 Mar 08

obtain book, open book, read book. you have 2/3 to go.

D

Somewhere out there

Moves
03 Mar 08

I have some books written by J. Averbach. Lehrbuch der Schachendspeile Band 1 und 2. It is dated back to 1974. So now I have around 800 pages to read :-P

i
SelfProclaimedTitler

Moves
03 Mar 08

Why not join PCT , look at the personal chess training thread. In addition, I just purchased silman complete endgame course. This book is unique because the lessons are divided by rating categories. Very good one ! In chessmaster 10th there is very very large endgame course, it is very good !

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
03 Mar 08

watch my endgames very closely, and then do exactly the opposite. 😳

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
03 Mar 08

Originally posted by wormwood
watch my endgames very closely, and then do exactly the opposite. 😳
I beg to differ. Watch MY endgames very closely and do exactly the opposite.

Moves
03 Mar 08

I have some books written by J. Averbach. Lehrbuch der Schachendspeile Band 1 und 2. It is dated back to 1974. So now I have around 800 pages to read :-P
suggest you read volume one first.

D

Somewhere out there

Moves
04 Mar 08

I am probably going to try PCT, when I have time. I also going to work with my books and maybe build up an own database with endgames.....Thanks for the help.

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
04 Mar 08

I am probably going to try PCT, when I have time. I also going to work with my books and maybe build up an own database with endgames.....Thanks for the help.
PCT is at your own rate so you make the time for it.

HM

São Paulo, Brazil

Moves
04 Mar 08

If you're looking for a book, I suggest "Practical Chess Endings", by Paul Keres.

p

Moves
04 Mar 08

Originally posted by Heroic Metool
If you're looking for a book, I suggest "Practical Chess Endings", by Paul Keres.
My favorite endgame book. Just wish it was republished in algebraic notation in English.

HM

São Paulo, Brazil

Moves
04 Mar 08

Yeah, that would be neat. I have it in Spanish with descriptive notation, but it's not that hard to follow.

i
SelfProclaimedTitler

Moves
04 Mar 08

Originally posted by petrovitch
My favorite endgame book. Just wish it was republished in algebraic notation in English.
What do you think about Silman's endgame course if you saw it ?

z

Moves
04 Mar 08

Originally posted by ivan2908
What do you think about Silman's endgame course if you saw it ?
I really like it. I thought the early information (Class D, C, B) was very easy but then offered a couple of the quizzes to the Mustang Clan in private forums with some very good players getting basic endgame material wrong.

This more than anything else has convinced me not to take the early draw and instead just keep grinding until one of us (myself or my opponent) actually spots a decisive mistake.