How much would the King be worth?

How much would the King be worth?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
23 Apr 11

Originally posted by vivify
Let's suppose we were to rate the king based purely on it's ability to move, the same we judge the other pieces. How much would the King be worth? Would you say it would be worth more or less than the knight?

Based on nothing else but the King's ability to move, I'd say it's worth maybe 2.5 points.
Imagine it another way that keeps the king's absolute value and so retains that essential element of the game: How much will the queen be worth if her moves are the same as the king's -- but she is expendable, can give check directly, and can move into and/or remain en garde, none of which apply to the king (noting that she cannot castle)?

B

Moves
23 Apr 11
1 edit

Originally posted by vivify
Let's suppose we were to rate the king based purely on it's ability to move, the same we judge the other pieces. How much would the King be worth? Would you say it would be worth more or less than the knight?

Based on nothing else but the King's ability to move, I'd say it's worth maybe 2.5 points.
Stronger than a minor piece + 1 pawn. Only Slightly weaker than a rook.

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
23 Apr 11

Originally posted by Bahari
Stronger than a minor piece + 1 pawn. Only Slightly weaker than a rook.
ding ding ding ding...we have a winner! 4 it is.}

E

c6

Moves
23 Apr 11
1 edit

Originally posted by bill718
To be pedantic, 4 is not an element of (4,5)

p

Moves
23 Apr 11

infinite as you have to protect the king.
It's worth 4 pawns though if you look at it strictly from a material standpoint.

S

Dublin

Moves
23 Apr 11

Originally posted by davaniel
You can't force a pawn and queen mate either
This position can be forced easily enough.

I'm not sure if you can do it with a d or e pawn though.

g

Moves
23 Apr 11

Originally posted by bill718
The King is worth 4 points. I would not want to have a lone King vs 3 pawns.

BP

Moves
23 Apr 11

Interesting question. I always gave the K a value of 2.5 but must admit that's inadequate.

Though it may be only an acedemic exercise, compare 2 Kings v 1 King to King+Minor Piece v King in the ability to bully the opposing King around the board. It's far easier to manipulate the opposing King with 2 Kings.

A value of 4 seems reasonable, but I'd hate to go up against 4 pawns with only my King, even if the opposing King is off in a corner and out of play.

So I suggest his value is more than 3 but not quite 4 ?!

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
24 Apr 11

http://www.chess.com/article/view/chess-piece-value

I found this article interesting. 🙂

Moves
24 Apr 11

Originally posted by Schumi
I'm not sure if you can do it with a d or e pawn though.
You can't, AFAICT. That's why I noted that the pawn needs to be well-placed.
Of course, with the pawn on any file, you can use the queen to corral the king away from it and then promote the pawn, with an instant mate, but that wasn't really the point.

Richard

Moves
24 Apr 11

Originally posted by Blackeyed Pawn
A value of 4 seems reasonable, but I'd hate to go up against 4 pawns with only my King, even if the opposing King is off in a corner and out of play.
Connected pawns, or isolated? Back at row 7, or all the way down the board at rows 2-4? Four connected pawns at their opponent's half of the board are worth much, much more than four "pawns". Four isolated ones back on their own home squares, in the end game when the king is free to attack, are worth nearly diddly-squat.

Richard