how easy is to become a candidate master

how easy is to become a candidate master

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A

Moves
08 Dec 09

White mcoimbra
Black wormstar
Result 1-0
WhiteElo 1333
BlackElo 1441
ECO A02

WOW Big difference from your blitz and you CC eh?

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
08 Dec 09

Originally posted by AlexanderAlekhine
White mcoimbra
Black wormstar
Result 1-0
WhiteElo 1333
BlackElo 1441
ECO A02

yes. is there a point you want to make? 😴

A

Moves
08 Dec 09

I already did.

h

Moves
08 Dec 09

Originally posted by wormwood
yes. is there a point you want to make? 😴
Yeah,
your blitz sux

The single-pawn endgame was drawn all along, the white King was in front of it, no progress to be made... now you've learnt something of it 😉 and you played the 3 vs. 2 very unhandily. 52...g5, why let the pawns split up, very bad timing. You even lost the p on f5 in the exchanges but white missed 64. Rxf5.

h

Moves
08 Dec 09
1 edit

I already did.
Have you ever considered the variety of your various chess ratings? I think I have collected well over 30 different "chess ratings" in my chess career. None of them match 😛

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
08 Dec 09

Originally posted by heinzkat
Yeah, [hidden]your blitz sux[/hidden]

The single-pawn endgame was drawn all along, the white King was in front of it, no progress to be made... now you've learnt something of it 😉 and you played the 3 vs. 2 very unhandily. 52...g5, why let the pawns split up, very bad timing. You even lost the p on f5 in the exchanges but white missed 64. Rxf5.
and that was one of the better ones. 😛

n
Ronin

Hereford Boathouse

Moves
08 Dec 09

OTB is the more challenging format. It also gives the least disputed rating of one's chess strength.

CC can be a deep, highly interesting way to play chess, but when you factor beyond the visualization and memory components also the stress, emotions and fatigue issues of OTB chess - I dont think it's a fair comparison.

As far as ratings go, I beat a player in 23 moves rated 1600 who is rated 2240 in
USCf Correspondence Chess. I am guessing he would have beaten me in CC. I do think though OTB strength transfers more readily to CC than vice versa.

k

washington

Moves
08 Dec 09

Originally posted by wormwood
2200 with proper training and motivation seems like a reasonable lower limit for anyone without severe cognitive problems. svidler is probably right. the only problem is that most of us are lazy bastards who reach for any excuses instead of putting in the work.

he didn't say that it wouldn't require hard work or take time.
Really we're lazy? I have another idea that is more realistic. Becoming a chess master is obviously not an easy task, after all most clubs maybe have 1 or 2 masters if they are lucky and some 1900 who is a big fish in a small pond right?

People who surpass 2000 and higher have more than just hard work effort. They have passion. They don't just play the game, they analyze every game and every move after each tournament or played game. They eat sleep and breathe it.

Can anyone do it? No thats a load of bull! I think that surpassing 1900 takes more than just brute memorization, anyone who surpasses 1900 has a lot of talent and a damn good teacher or good books for the most part.

Is it worth it? Have you ever talked to someone who plays that much chess? Just like mastering everything else they are boring if thats all they do.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
08 Dec 09

Originally posted by kmac27
more than just hard work effort. They have passion.
I fail to see a difference. you won't work hard at anything unless you're motivated.

pp

Moves
08 Dec 09

White mcoimbra
Black wormstar
Result 1-0
WhiteElo 1333
BlackElo 1441
ECO A02

it happens. I'm even worse.

n
Ronin

Hereford Boathouse

Moves
09 Dec 09

Originally posted by kmac27
Really we're lazy? I have another idea that is more realistic. Becoming a chess master is obviously not an easy task, after all most clubs maybe have 1 or 2 masters if they are lucky and some 1900 who is a big fish in a small pond right?

People who surpass 2000 and higher have more than just hard work effort. They have passion. They don't just play the g ...[text shortened]... ays that much chess? Just like mastering everything else they are boring if thats all they do.
A master can walk into the room of a 100 randomly selected serious chess players and know that only 3-4 of them can beat him/her consistently.