Here's a cool long mate from a bad opening

Here's a cool long mate from a bad opening

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E
Anansi

Woodshed

Moves
23 Jul 12

From this position - black to play and mate in 7 - every move is a check, but you have to find the right ones...

Solution below

e4

Moves
23 Jul 12

Super stuff . You can mate with the a-pawn. I was doing it my head
and thought for some reason it took one move longer, but no,
apparently I can't count and think at the same time , it's still mate in 10.

Moves
23 Jul 12

Originally posted by greenpawn34
Super stuff . You can mate with the a-pawn. I was doing it my head
and thought for some reason it took one move longer, but no,
apparently I can't count and think at the same time , it's still mate in 10.

[pgn]1. f3 e5 2. e4 Nf6 3. g4 Nxe4 4. Bc4 Qh4+ 5. Ke2 Qf2+ 6. Kd3 Nc5+ 7. Kc3 Qd4+ 8. Kb4 a5+ 9. Ka3 Nb3+ {I like this. The Knight stops b4.}10. Kxb3 a4[/pgn]
Black can scotch that, though, by going to a4 on move 10 or to b5 on move 9. It's still mate in 10, but not by the a pawn.

Richard

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
24 Jul 12

Originally posted by Exuma
From this position - black to play and mate in 7 - every move is a check, but you have to find the right ones...

[fen]rnbqkb1r/pppp1ppp/8/4p3/2B1n1P1/5P2/PPPP3P/RNBQK1NR b KQkq - 0 4 [/fen]

Solution below

[pgn]
1.f3 e5 2.e4 Nf6 3.g4 Nxe4 4.Bc4 Qh4+ 5.Ke2 Qf2+ 6.Kd3 Nc5+ 7.Kc3 Qd4+
8.Kb4 Na4+ 9.Kxa4 Qxc4+ 10.b4 Qxb4# [/pgn]
That is a cool mate for Black. But I seriously doubt anyone will play those 4 opening moves as White?

h

Moves
24 Jul 12

This is a magnificent blending of the e4 and Barnes (f3) and Grob (g4) openings. The white king is not hemmed in as it is in many openings and so can be developed earlier in the game. I also like the death grip of the white e and g pawns on the critical f5 square.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
24 Jul 12
2 edits

Originally posted by homedepotov
This is a magnificent blending of the e4 and Barnes (f3) and Grob (g4) openings. The white king is not hemmed in as it is in many openings and so can be developed earlier in the game. I also like the death grip of the white e and g pawns on the critical f5 square.
Do you mean the king can get develped to get attacked earlier and easily?

h

Moves
24 Jul 12
1 edit

Originally posted by RJHinds
Do you mean the king can get develped to get attacked earlier and easily?
No. Yes. Maybe. It encourages quick and unsound attacks as the black player might easily wreck his position due to his eagerness to punish such apparently unsound pawn moves as quickly as possible, to get in a brilliant Tal-like mating attack and checkmate white in 25 moves or less and then show his friends how brilliant he is.

This is great psychological strategy.

E

Moves
24 Jul 12
1 edit

No. Yes. Maybe. It encourages quick and unsound attacks as the black player might easily wreck his position due to his eagerness to punish such apparently unsound pawn moves as quickly as possible, to get in a brilliant Tal-like mating attack and checkmate white in 25 moves or less and then show his friends how brilliant he is.

So you play into a sucidal position by playing f3 and g4 as two of your first moves so that you can get into your opponent's mind?

This would mean that you have absolutely no respect for your opponent and are very arrogant.

E
Anansi

Woodshed

Moves
24 Jul 12

Yes! Brilliant. Some of us get it ;-)

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
24 Jul 12

Originally posted by Exuma
Yes! Brilliant. Some of us get it ;-)
Okay, but even this is strong for Black: