Help I have A Rating Plateau

Help I have A Rating Plateau

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mpj

Moves
05 Sep 10

Help!

My current USCF rating is at 1314. I study a lot, know my openings, do some tactics, look over chess games, but I just can't get any better. When I play stronger opponents, I end up losing positionally and cant pinpoint any place where I lost.

Here is a game I would like you all to see to get a sense of how I play (I am white against a 1644)

1. c4 e6
2. Nc3 f5
3. d3 Nf6
4. Nf3 Bb4
5. Bd2 b6
6. g3 Bb7
7. Bg2 0-0
8. a3 Bxc3
9. Bxc3 d6
10. 0-0 Qe8
11. Nd2 Bxg2
12. Kxg2 Qc6+
13. Kg1 e5
14. e3 Nbd7
15. f4 Ng4
16. Qf3 cxf3
17. Rf3 Rac8
18. h3 e4
19. de fe
20. Nxe4 Rxe4
21. hxg4 Rd1
22. Re4 g5
23. Ne5 Bxe5
24. fe Rxf3
25. ed cd
26. Rxd6 Rxg3+
27. Kf2 Rxg5
28. Rd8+ Kf1
29. Rd7+ Ke6
30. Rxa7 Kf6
31. Rc7 Re5
32. Kf3 Kf4
33. g4 Kf4
34. Rc6+ Re6
35. Rc5 Re5
36. Rc6+ Kf5
37. Rh6 g4+
38. Kg3 Rxe3+
39. Kh4 Rh3#

p

Moves
05 Sep 10
4 edits

You have a few problems with the game.

So far move 16 is Qxf3, I think, 17 Rxf3 Rae8?, and black's move 21 doesn't make sense either.

If you correct it, I will put it in game viewer mode and take a look at it.

K

Moves
05 Sep 10

Well I had to do some guessing to fill in the gaps but I think this is close.

o
Art is hard

Moves
05 Sep 10

After a quick glance at your game it seems to me you should be investing some time in learning and mastering concepts such as time, space, development and piece activity. I suggest you start by reading Seirawan's Winning Chess Strategy. You don't need to invest too much time in studying strategy, it sticks easily and makes quite some sense, but make sure you read with care and attention otherwise the knowledge might be wasted.

MR

Moves
05 Sep 10
1 edit

Originally posted by mr pops jr
Help!

My current USCF rating is at 1314. I study a lot, know my openings, do some tactics, look over chess games, but I just can't get any better. When I play stronger opponents, I end up losing positionally and cant pinpoint any place where I lost.
You have a higher rating than me, therefore I hate you. (joking)

The general idea is to find your weakest link in the "chess chain of knowledge". Go over your finished games preferably with a stronger player, or at least with an engine to spot your tactical blunders. (When you play in tournaments, do you ask your opponents for post-mortem analysis? If not, you should.)

You had a won ending here but blew it, walking into a mate-in-one. (The winning idea was to trade off the rooks and the pawn endgame is winning with the distant passed pawns. For example, 35.Rxe6) Were you in time trouble at the end? (What was the time control? ) If not, shame on you for playing hope chess!

V

Moves
05 Sep 10

Originally posted by Mad Rook
The general idea is to find your weakest link in the "chess chain of knowledge"
No! 🙂 The priority is to improve chess skill. And secondary, assist this skill with knowledge.

MR

Moves
05 Sep 10

Originally posted by Varenka
No! 🙂 The priority is to improve chess [b]skill. And secondary, assist this skill with knowledge.[/b]
OK, I stand corrected. 🙂

Isolated Pawn

Wisconsin USA

Moves
05 Sep 10

Originally posted by Mad Rook
You have a higher rating than me, therefore I hate you. (joking)

The general idea is to find your weakest link in the "chess chain of knowledge". Go over your finished games preferably with a stronger player, or at least with an engine to spot your tactical blunders. (When you play in tournaments, do you ask your opponents for post-mortem analysis? If no ...[text shortened]... trouble at the end? (What was the time control? ) If not, shame on you for playing hope chess!
Without hope chess some have no hope!

MR

Moves
05 Sep 10

Originally posted by ketchuplover
Without hope chess some have no hope!
True, but Heisman's term "hope chess" is perhaps a bit misleading. It really means that you are not looking at the moves your opponent can play in response to your candidate moves. Therefore, in hope chess, unforced mate-in-ones can happen.

n
Ronin

Hereford Boathouse

Moves
05 Sep 10

The only knowledge that improves your chess is that which helps you to come to accurate evaluations and find the strongest continuation in a position you are unfamiliar.

Everything else is books sales. 🙂

NMD

Moves
05 Sep 10
5 edits

3.d3 looks playable but not recommended if you wanna clobber thy opponent quickly.

3.d4 would be closer to the centre and would grant white a bit more space.

5.g4 looks like it may be good....If black captures with his knight 5...Nxg4 white can play into the centre with 6.e4 and notice that black just moved his knight away from the centre by taking on g4. If black captures with his pawn 5...fxg4 he once again is moving away from the centre and white can reply 6.Ng5 without fearing 6...h6 since that would simply boot the knight into the centre via 7.Ne4. It`s important to notice that booting the knight with 6...h6 doesn`t gain time since the move 6...h6 isn`t a developing move or a move that black would wanna play if it wasn`t attacking the knight.

5.Bd2 like you played is playable but I recommend striving to not attack your own pieces. Also notice that white need not be afraid of black doubling his pawns since he could recapture towards the centre.

6.g3 is a very normal move no doubt but once again you could play to g4.Another thing to notice is that if black takes with his knight white could put a rook on the g file.

11.e4 might be good since after 11...fxg4 12.Nmoves somewhere notice the e pawn is pinned.

I like 14.Nf3

mpj

Moves
05 Sep 10

Thanks a lot! Also, would a rook trade on move 35 have been fine?

NMD

Moves
05 Sep 10
1 edit

Yes.

I just saw a game that reminded me of this g4 idea.

e

Moves
06 Sep 10
1 edit

did you think you were winning after rxd6 and if so why?

Tennessee

Moves
06 Sep 10
1 edit

After a quick look one thing I noticed is white never really threatened at the beginning. White was reacting and matching black's moves. Then at the endgame you should have exchanged rooks. Black couldn't attack white's pawns that are spread out and protect his own pawns. Just a few observations from a mediocre player who probably should be quiet.