Good Manners and an opening greeting

Good Manners and an opening greeting

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
69d

Why don't people reply to a courtesy hello and good luck greeting.

I am amazed at the number of people here who don't bother to reply to a friendly greeting.

Sure, I don't like chit chat in a game as it can be distracting, but surely good manners are part of chess!!

(Yes, I am aware that language issues can be a problem; but most of the time I am talking about people flying English speaking nations flags)

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
69d

@martins said

I am amazed at the number of people here who don't bother to reply to a friendly greeting.

Sure, I don't like chit chat in a game as it can be distracting, but surely good manners are part of chess!!

(Yes, I am aware that language issues can be a problem; but most of the time I am talking about people flying English speaking nations flags)
I feel the same, but if someone wants to communicate nothing but the moves, I guess that's their privilege.

Moves
69d

@mchill said
I feel the same, but if someone wants to communicate nothing but the moves, I guess that's their privilege.
Fair comment; but I don't think it hurts to be polite and say 'hello'

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
69d

@martins said
Fair comment; but I don't think it hurts to be polite and say 'hello'
And most probably the players in question are not reading this thread...

Enjoy your stay!

Moves
69d

@Ponderable
Changing the subject

I notice under your name the word 'chemist' appears; how/what is that and how do you put a word there?

Über-Nerd

Moves
69d
1 edit

@martins said

Hello !

Go to my profile -> Update Profile -> Self Proclaimed Title.

Cheers,
moon (self-proclaimed Über-Nerd)

e4

Moves
68d

I've always said 'Good Luck' when making my first move with White or Black.
Most reply. the same or something similar, If they don't I'm OK with that.
To be honest I cannot say that I've noticed if they have or not. I'm usually more
interested in their first move.

c

Moves
67d

Say hello if not acknowledged they may have missed what was going on, I missed responding because the site had changed significantly since I was away.

Doesn't mean I'm rude etc just give the benefit of doubt.

rookorbycrook

Solihull

Moves
66d

@MartinS
if people are playing on the phone they wont see the intro message

king of vectors

center squares :p

Moves
65d

As a britisher by birth, I was raised w/ civility aka : manners and thus invariably include a salutation w/ 1st move. I note those that dont respond are also often, the same selfish (can you say trumpsters ) that quit, w/o notice, ... as soon as the tide turns against them & they're down a 3pt + pawn... wasting all that early & midgame effort.
See my profile for more on quitters : }
Paz / jg

Grand Duke

Somewhere else

Moves
64d

@elassasino said
As a britisher by birth
As a British person, you should know that the correct response to a greeting is to make a small grunt and stare at your feet!
Maybe they are doing this instead of typing a reply.

Moves
61d

@wyndavies said
As a British person, you should know that the correct response to a greeting is to make a small grunt and stare at your feet!
We need a 'laugh' reaction button like in Facebook. In the absence of this, I can just say (as a fellow British person) thanks for making me smile.

I normally say hello to people on the first move, sometimes people reply, sometimes they don't, either is fine.

Moves
61d

@wyndavies said
Sir

I disagree.

One acknowledges the greeting; it is good manners.

I cannot challenge you as you are at your limit; I challenge you Sir to pawns at dawn.

I will add you as a buddy so you can accept.

Grand Duke

Somewhere else

Moves
53d

@martins said
Sir

I disagree.

One acknowledges the greeting; it is good manners.

I cannot challenge you as you are at your limit; I challenge you Sir to pawns at dawn.

I will add you as a buddy so you can accept.
I finally!!! managed to work out how to turn buddy options on. So if you want to challenge me it should work now.
My rating is bouncing between 1500 and 1800.
I do well as long as my opponent doesn't use their horsies against me.
Horsies move funny and are scary and confusing.
(In all seriousness, I keep losing to knight forks)

Moves
53d

@wyndavies said
I finally!!! managed to work out how to turn buddy options on. So if you want to challenge me it should work now.
My rating is bouncing between 1500 and 1800.
I do well as long as my opponent doesn't use their horsies against me.
Horsies move funny and are scary and confusing.
(In all seriousness, I keep losing to knight forks)
Duly challenged.

I look forward to our game.

Regards