http://www.chessok.com/broadcast/?key=sofia2010_02.pgn&game=0
    http://live.chessdom.com/anand-topalov-2010-g2.html
    http://www.anand-topalov.com/en/live.htm

Round 1 result:
    Topalov (1) vs. Anand (0)
  2. ...who does not know
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 13:13
    15. Qa3....... Do the queens come off here? Would either side benefit?
  3. ...who does not know
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 13:15
    Originally posted by Eric LeFavour
    15. Qa3....... Do the queens come off here? Would either side benefit?
    Apparently Topolov thinks it's a good idea. LOL 😏
  4. Joined
    13 Aug '07
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 13:19
    Originally posted by Eric LeFavour
    Apparently Topolov thinks it's a good idea. LOL 😏
    Well, taking the queen was forced for Topalov, since all other moves are inferior. I really wonder what Vishy has in mind, this endgame looks really comfortable for black...
  5. ...who does not know
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 13:28
    Originally posted by Gatusso
    Well, taking the queen was forced for Topalov, since all other moves are inferior. I really wonder what Vishy has in mind, this endgame looks really comfortable for black...
    I agree, the move to N7f6 looks like Topalov is about to throw the kitchen sink at Anand. That's just my opinion. I'm no great chess player by any stretch of the imagination. It is fun to watch these guys though. Once in a while, I see what they see. LOL 🙂
  6. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 13:29
    Nigel Short, commentating, has just said:

"I am speechless. 15. Qa3 is a shockingly bad move. White has no winning chances whatsoever after this. Black wasn't threatening anything, so why exchange off the queens, ruin your pawn formation and make things easy for Black all at one go? And this dubious decision has come VERY early in the game"
  7. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 13:52
    Originally posted by atticus2

"I am speechless. 15. Qa3 is a shockingly bad move. White has no winning chances whatsoever after this. Black wasn't threatening anything, so why exchange off the queens, ruin your pawn formation and make things easy for Black all at one go? And this dubious decision has come VERY early in the game"
    I can't really disagree with that. but. short is the king of bad moves. every time I watch him play he seems to do something that's horrible even to my patzer eye. then every single time he tries to fix the problem with duplicating the famous king walk, which never works. 🙂

at this point I'm still quite certain anand's point will materialize soon. I mean what are the odds that anand, an order of magnitude better player than short, swaps black's cramped queen, a pawn down, gets ugly pawns, and all this after yesterday's catastrophe? slim to none.
  8. ...who does not know
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 13:55

Anand isn't really the "pull it out of your hat" type either is he? I mean, we aren't missing some Morphy-like strategory are we? I just didn't think that was Anand's style. I really don't know? This is just my perception? I thought Anand was a more conservative player though? Not likely to have some Morphy-like "duck-dodge-mate".
  9. Joined
    13 Aug '07
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 14:29
    Anand is actually quite comfortable now, maybe he can torture Topalov a bit 😀
  10. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 15:02
    Seems Anand's strategy may pay off, though only after some less than perfect play by Topalov.

Draw still seems likely, but all the engines on those sites seem to think white has the upper hand.
  11. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 15:161 edit
    Nigel Short changes his tune after 30 moves: I would go so far as to say that Topalov is objectively busted
  12. ...who does not know
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 15:17
    Fantastic game so far. I hope it ends in a mate somewhere and not a draw. Anand seems to have things in order. I thought early on Topalov really had him in trouble.
  13. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 15:24
    Nigel Short continues to row swiftly backwards: 😀

"This impetuosity - premature what-not - is a characteristic of Topalov's. When attacking it is usally a great strength because he plays with great dynamism. However there are occasions, like today, when one needs to be more cautious, so psychologically Anand has done well here, even though I have been less than impressed with the exact implementation of this strategy"
  14. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 15:24
    Nigel Short changes his tune after 30 moves: I would go so far as to say that Topalov is objectively busted
    mr short's first quote was likely impulsive.
    this is a catalan, so long term queenside pressure is thematic.
  15. Joined
    23 Sep '08
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 15:34
    I think nigel short will make a championship appearance before 65, gonna have a fiver on it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree