Game 12 of FIDE WCC: Anand vs. Topalov

Game 12 of FIDE WCC: Anand vs. Topalov

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

e

timed out again

Moves
11 May 10

Originally posted by arterioes
Game ends 0-1
What a game we've had. Could anyone have predicted this?
It was definitely the most exciting match because everyone expected a draw and then the play-offs. What was Topy thinking?

e

timed out again

Moves
11 May 10

Originally posted by atticus2
I'm genuinely surprised that Anand has won. I'd have expected Danailov to smash his face in at the first hint of defeat today. Maybe Danailov is growing soft. Still, Anand hasn't got out of the country yet
The comments by the playchess viewers were very funny, some guys said Danailov would sue everyone if Topalov lost.

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
11 May 10

Well, you have t say Anand was better over all. Well done 😀

H

Moves
11 May 10

My thanks to Pulern, enrico and the rest of you for keeping me updated on the games

JoL
Curb Your Enthusiasm

London

Moves
11 May 10

Originally posted by atticus2
'd have expected Danailov to smash his face in at the first hint of defeat today.
Still time ...

G

Moves
11 May 10

I think Anand was the better player this match (although the first game was a disaster) and Topalov just got way too scared of the tie-breaks. I am happy with the result though, my money is on either Kramnik or Carlsen as the new challenger!

a

Cyberspace

Moves
11 May 10

Let the jokes begin

Tomorrows headlines - Anand flushes Topalov

e4

Moves
11 May 10

I hope someone brings out one of these 'instant books'
the kind that were very common in the Karpov/Korchnoi era.
Though 12 games will fit very snugly inside CHESS and they
usually note up games quite well.

This WC match was fun.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
11 May 10

So what was Topy's worse error in the last game? The R-f2 thing or ruining his kingside pawn position?

G

Moves
11 May 10

Originally posted by sonhouse
So what was Topy's worse error in the last game? The R-f2 thing or ruining his kingside pawn position?
Nope, I think taking on f5 was bad but taking on e4 the move after that was just a tremendous blunder, that bishop becomes terribly strong and white is just lost after that.

Moves
11 May 10

Originally posted by Gatusso
I think Anand was the better player this match (although the first game was a disaster) and Topalov just got way too scared of the tie-breaks. I am happy with the result though, my money is on either Kramnik or Carlsen as the new challenger!
have to give praise to topalov for playing very aggressively.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
11 May 10

Originally posted by tonytiger41
have to give praise to topalov for playing very aggressively.
me too. although that probably ultimately cost him the win.

but for once the wc match was actually fun to watch. almost no boring games. and anand played more lively than usual as well. an anand-kramnik match would've been completely different, probably 12 early draws with nobody taking any risks.

JoL
Curb Your Enthusiasm

London

Moves
11 May 10

Originally posted by greenpawn34
I hope someone brings out one of these 'instant books' ...
when was the last time Ray Keene *didn't* write an instant book on the world championship match?

I think he's got an unbroken record going back to 1974 (not that the Karpov-Korchnoi match was a World Championship match really but it was the closest thing we had to one back then and RDK wrote a book about that one too)

e4

Moves
11 May 10

Did not know if they still did such things.

Not been really interested in any WC games since the Kasparov/Short match.
Think the Kasparov/Kramnik match about 10 years ago put me off.

a

Cyberspace

Moves
12 May 10

Originally posted by arterioes
Let the jokes begin

Tomorrows headlines - Anand flushes Topalov
Another one..
Topalov did not want the match to go to tie breaks. He wanted to finish off the match today itself. So......he went ahead and lost.
🙂