Four knights defense.

Four knights defense.

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D
Rusty Veteran

My happy place

Moves
17 May 07

That was my prefered opening for a while before I quit playing. I still bring the knights forward like I'm working that opening, but I forgot how it goes after I place the two knights.

Does anyone know how it's supposed to go? Is it popular for anyone else?

I like it because the knights can guard multiple pawns easily, and are pretty mobile.

z

Moves
17 May 07

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Knights_Game

D
Rusty Veteran

My happy place

Moves
17 May 07
1 edit

Okey Dokey Dukey. What's your opinion of it? According to Wiki, it's pretty popular.

z

Moves
17 May 07

I don't have time to go through your games but you could do with few set of chess books on :-

- the opening (there are more openings than 2/4 knights)
- the middlegame
- the endgame

See Thread 67041

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
17 May 07

Originally posted by Daphnes
That was my prefered opening for a while before I quit playing. I still bring the knights forward like I'm working that opening, but I forgot how it goes after I place the two knights.

I like it because the knights can guard multiple pawns easily, and are pretty mobile.
This is the 4 Knights Game 2868884.

It is a particular defense not any old game where the 4 Knights are bought out. It is solid and reliable but in my opinion rather boring and drawish so best avoided by white.

i

Moves
17 May 07

isnt this the morras gambit???

D
Rusty Veteran

My happy place

Moves
17 May 07

Why did black resign? The king could have moved towards the white square bishop. Not that it really matters now.

d

Moves
17 May 07

Yawn.

That's my considered opinion.

d

Moves
17 May 07

Why did black resign? The king could have moved towards the white square bishop. Not that it really matters now.
The king is in check, if the knight is captured he gets mated; if he doesn't capture the knight he loses the queen.

D
Rusty Veteran

My happy place

Moves
17 May 07

Alright. I had a guy resign on me because I grabbed his queen soon into the game.

FKD may not be the most exciting opening for you, and that's fine. I'm not big on memorizing moves and stuff, so I have little opinion on moves in general.

Y

Moves
17 May 07

I use the 4. g3 Four Knights against e5. It's not as open and tactical as some other double king's pawn games and is sort of similar to the Closed Sicilian in its plans.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
18 May 07

Originally posted by jvanhine
isnt this the morras gambit???
I am getting careless. That was a Morra Gambit.

This is the 4 Knights Game 3250671

Moves
18 May 07
1 edit

Talking about the four nights defence (I assume you don't mean the four nights in the english...). A year ago I was experimenting some with the petroff (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nf6) I found it to be extremely common among lower rated players to stear the game into the four nights by playing 3.Nc3 Nc6

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
18 May 07

Originally posted by bikingviking
Talking about the four nights defence (I assume you don't mean the four nights in the english...). A year ago I was experimenting some with the petroff (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nf6) I found it to be extremely common among lower rated players to stear the game into the four nights by playing 3.Nc3 Nc6
English, 4 Knights is a different defense.

Thats the point I was trying to make which is why I posted a 4 Knights game (well got the reference wrong and posted a Morra gambit actually) - lots of people seem to assume the 4 Knights is any game where the 4 Knights are bought out which, of course, is not the case.

I assume we are talking about the 4 Knights solely.

Moves
18 May 07

So now we are talking about things like the scotsh four nights, the spannish four nights and the four nights rubinstein variation wich is the main line. (Pretty boring in cc but works fine in blitz...😛).