1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 07:576 edits
    Find the best move

The following postion is from a USCF rated OTB game against a boy, who is the current Middle School Chess Champion of South Carolina. He has a 1900+ USCF rating at present. The only other 1900+ rated player that I have played at the Chess Club was Paul Farb. I won with the white pieces in that game, but he has moved to Texas. I have played this young fellow in two other games, one quick rated G/25 and the other a regular rated G/90 and lost both times. He has white and has been pressing me the whole time so that I am able to only defend. I have been able to see his tactical traps and avoid them up to this point, which is move 33. I did not find the best move in this position and went on to blunder the game away on a later move. However I think I now see a move that should assure me of a drawing position.

What is my best move as Black?

P.S. By the way, this young fellows name is Benjamin Caiello.
  2. In attack
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 10:061 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Find the best move

The following postion is from a USCF rated OTB game against a boy, who is the current Middle School Chess Champion of South Carolina. He has a 1900+ USCF rating at present. The only other 1900+ rated player that I have played at the Chess Club was Paul Farb. I won with the white pieces in that game, but he has moved to Texas. I have ...[text shortened]... 2/PP2P1RQ/5KPP/8 b - - 33[/fen]

I'd do Qf7. The king needs a potential exit route, and the queen can still provide cover for the h7 pawn (and also now the f6 pawn). Either that or move the bishop out harm's way from the knight. A bit of a strange problem to set though, because I can't see any killer moves, nor subtle lurking threats from the other side. What did you do?

Edit: and cover for the g6 pawn too, of course...
  3. Wat?
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 11:20
    Of course it is Qf7. Why couldn't you see that in half a second, Ron? No analysis board available?

-m.
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 15:12
    Find the best move

The following postion is from a USCF rated OTB game against a boy, who is the current Middle School Chess Champion of South Carolina. He has a 1900+ USCF rating at present. The only other 1900+ rated player that I have played at the Chess Club was Paul Farb. I won with the white pieces in that game, but he has moved to Texas. I have ...[text shortened]... 2/PP2P1RQ/5KPP/8 b - - 33[/fen]

That's odd - my engine says there is no single 'best' move here. 🙂
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 15:592 edits
    Originally posted by morgski
    I'd do Qf7. The king needs a potential exit route, and the queen can still provide cover for the h7 pawn (and also now the f6 pawn). Either that or move the bishop out harm's way from the knight. A bit of a strange problem to set though, because I can't see any killer moves, nor subtle lurking threats from the other side. What did you do?

Edit: and cover for the g6 pawn too, of course...
    33...Qf7 may also hold. That move is only necessary if Ben plays 34. Qh4. But there is a move that I think is better than that.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 16:191 edit
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Of course it is Qf7. Why couldn't you see that in half a second, Ron? No analysis board available?

-m.
    I'm an old man and my old brain needs a nap at this point from the defensive pressure he had been putting on me. Yes, I saw 33...Qf7 and I saw is was not necessary until he played 34.Qh4. For some reason, I became worried that he might trade his knight for my bishop and decided to move 33...Bc8.
    Look again, and see if you don't see a better move than 33...Qf7. I think there is one move that is the best in this position.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 16:21
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    That's odd - my engine says there is no single 'best' move here. 🙂
    Well, don't use you "engine" and get out an analysis board then and you will find it.
  8. São Paulo, Brazil
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 16:34
    I became worried that he might trade his knight for my bishop and decided to move 33...Bc8.
    Look at his knight. Look at your bishop. Why would you worry about such a trade? His minor piece is clearly better than yours. Nxa6(?) solves most of black's problems. White should never play that unless there was a strong tactical reason for it.
  9. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 18:002 edits
    How about Re7?

stops the knight coming in on e6 and opens up defense a little better e.g. allows queen to defend g6

edit: actually no, bad move lol, that rook has to stay... i'll have another look

edit2: is g5 a possibility?
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 18:46
    Originally posted by danilop
    Look at his knight. Look at your bishop. Why would you worry about such a trade? His minor piece is clearly better than yours. Nxa6(?) solves most of black's problems. White should never play that unless there was a strong tactical reason for it.
    You are right. However, I was not thinking well at that time. It was about 10 PM and I was getting sleepy. That is my excuse for making another blunder later. An old tired brain is no match for a young energetic and alert one.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 18:531 edit
    Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
    How about Re7?

stops the knight coming in on e6 and opens up defense a little better e.g. allows queen to defend g6

edit: actually no, bad move lol, that rook has to stay... i'll have another look

edit2: is g5 a possibility?
    I believe that loses the f6 pawn. But, anyway, it is not the move I saw.
    P.S. There are not too many other possible moves, so I suspect somebody is going to see it soon.
  12. São Paulo, Brazil
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 19:28
    It would be interesting to see the entire game. White has an advantage, but his plan looks rather clumsy. Piling up the major pieces on the kingside and hoping for a blunder is not how you win in this kind of position.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 20:35
    Originally posted by danilop
    It would be interesting to see the entire game. White has an advantage, but his plan looks rather clumsy. Piling up the major pieces on the kingside and hoping for a blunder is not how you win in this kind of position.
    If I already had it in pgn I would post it. However as it is, I would have to type out 55 moves and this position is the most important to me. However, the opening is a Slav Defense to the Queen's gambit, if you are interested.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 21:04
    I have to go out and get some exercise by mowing the lawn now. When I finish and come back in I will post the correct answer.
  15. São Paulo, Brazil
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 22:201 edit
    If I already had it in pgn I would post it. However as it is, I would have to type out 55 moves and this position is the most important to me. However, the opening is a Slav Defense to the Queen's gambit, if you are interested.
    When/why did white play f4? How did your queenside pawns end up like that? I'm curious because if I were white I'd never have gone for an attack on the king there. Not without any pawn breaks and open files. Black is much more vulnerable in the other wing.

As for your "best" move, are you going to recommend a4 closing the queenside? Not sure if that would work (I don't like it after white plays b4) but there aren't many moves left.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree