Favourite chess book?

Favourite chess book?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

Moves
13 Nov 07

Thought I'd start a thread to see which chess book people like the most, either because they got the most out of it or just really enjoyed it.

For me its probably The Art of Checkmate. I got a lot out of it, but also really enjoyed it and it changed my game for the better after I read it.

z

Moves
13 Nov 07

Best Lessons of a Chess Coach - Sunil Weeramantry.

L

Moves
13 Nov 07

Its a toss up between Art of Attack by Vukovic or How To Reasses Your Chess 3rd ed by Silman. I think I got the most out of Silman's book

e

Rural Ontario

Moves
13 Nov 07

Amateur's mind

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
13 Nov 07

Understanding Chess Tactics by Martin Weteschnik followed closely by Reassess your Chess by Silman.

D

g

Moves
13 Nov 07

Probably the only chess book that I would consider a "must read", is Irving Chernev's, "Logical Chess: Move by Move." I give it an A+ for quality of writing, and an A+ for content.

CNJ

Moves
13 Nov 07

How to Become a Deadly Chess Tactician - David Lemoir

t

Moves
13 Nov 07

The Guide to Good Chess and On the Endgame both by C.J.S. Purdy.

F
Love thy bobblehead

Moves
14 Nov 07

From a learning perspective: How to Reassess Your Chess- 3rd Edition by Silman

From a simply entertaining perspective- Garry Kasparov's My Great Predecessors Volume 5- Korchnoi & Karpov

I

Moves
14 Nov 07

I also like Logical Chess:move by move. Very good primer. I also like Chess:5,334 Problems, combinations, and games by Polgar. With those two books somebody can get a pretty good start.

dsR

Big D

Moves
14 Nov 07

"Capablanca's Best Chess Endings," by Chernev.

PC

Moves
14 Nov 07

Chess - Middlegame.Plan ~ Peter Arsenievich Romanovsky

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
14 Nov 07

My System

W
Angler

River City

Moves
15 Nov 07

Originally posted by gaychessplayer
Probably the only chess book that I would consider a "must read", is Irving Chernev's, "Logical Chess: Move by Move." I give it an A+ for quality of writing, and an A+ for content.
An A should never carry a +

As for the books, I find it extremely difficult to settle on one best. The most dramatic improvement in my quality of play came after I began to read Chernev's 1000 Best Short Games of Chess. which I found in the Cannon AFB library in 1975. Over the next several years, Horowitz, Chess Openings: Theory and Practice became a Bible, while several tournament books were my steady fare--San Antonio 1972, Soviet Championship 1972 (alas I got rid of these two books), and Wijk aan Zee 1975 (which I have still). Add to these Gligoric's Best Games, 1945-1970 and Karpov's Collected Games, 1961-1974 and we've completed the bulk of a teenager's library forming the foundation for lifelong chess study.

In recent years, two books have been enormously significant. Renaud and Kahn, The Art of the Checkmate taught me much about what I thought I already knew (and didn't), and has an enormous effect on how I teach chess.

Jeremy Silman's The Amateur's Mind and How to Reassess Your Chess--one book in two parts--has taught me how to listen to the pieces.

MR

Moves
15 Nov 07

Originally posted by Wulebgr
An A should never carry a +

As for the books, I find it extremely difficult to settle on one best. The most dramatic improvement in my quality of play came after I began to read Chernev's 1000 Best Short Games of Chess. which I found in the Cannon AFB library in 1975. Over the next several years, Horowitz, Chess Openings: Theory and Pra ...[text shortened]... assess Your Chess--one book in two parts--has taught me how to listen to the pieces.
"...while several tournament books were my steady fare--San Antonio 1972..."

The Church's Fried Chicken tournament! That's one of the most humorous tournament sponsor names I've heard of. 🙂

"Renaud and Kahn, The Art of the Checkmate taught me much about what I thought I already knew (and didn't), and has an enormous effect on how I teach chess."

I've heard others recommend this book, but now I just HAVE to get it!

"Jeremy Silman's The Amateur's Mind and How to Reassess Your Chess--one book in two parts--has taught me how to listen to the pieces."

The pieces don't say diddly squat to me. I guess I still have a long way to go... (sigh)