English opening.

English opening.

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

r

Moves
29 Aug 08

Hi All,

I am not well versed with all the openings, but even with my limited knowledge I have a feeling that the English opening for White is quite potent. Its give a very good defense also a lots of attacking options. Also its quite flexible and we can transpose to some other opening if required.

Based on my notions about the English opening, is it fair to say that the English opening is the best for White? If not then can someone point out the reasons and prehaps even let me now, which is the best opening for White(even from the stats point of view).

If English opening is indeed the best, can someone please let me know the best book for it.

Any pointers would be highly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Raphael.

N
10. O-O

Kalispell, MT

Moves
29 Aug 08

Originally posted by raphael78
Hi All,

I am not well versed with all the openings, but even with my limited knowledge I have a feeling that the English opening for White is quite potent. Its give a very good defense also a lots of attacking options. Also its quite flexible and we can transpose to some other opening if required.

Based on my notions about the English opening, is i ...[text shortened]... e know the best book for it.

Any pointers would be highly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Raphael.
the "Best" opening, is impossible to say... it'd be hard to try and say that the Kings Pawn is not the best, as it opens the most lines immediately.

The English is definitely a strong opening, its playable in Reti systems, Queen's Gambit (which has alot of theory of its own) and
English Symmetrical, furthermore its theory is not too heavy.

Good book on the English is "Playing The Dynamic English"
and as far as "Master Games" to look at, a very strong player that you can check on this site is the Player Tables #2 "Weyerstrass" as he uses the English with g3 (as suggested in the dynamic english) almost exclusively.

hope that helps.

-GIN

Radio Gnome

Planet Gong

Moves
29 Aug 08

the 'best' opening is the one that leads to positions that you are comfortable in.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
29 Aug 08
1 edit

Originally posted by mbakunin
the 'best' opening is the one that leads to positions that you are comfortable in.
Rec`ed

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
29 Aug 08

The old saying goes that there are 4 perfect openings for White: e4/d4/c4/N-f3, that is any of these moves will get you off to a good start. With move 2 is where I start my downfall. 😠 😳 :'( 😞

W
Angler

River City

Moves
29 Aug 08

Anatoly Karpov, How to Play the English Opening (2007). Get it. 'Nuff said.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
29 Aug 08

Originally posted by mbakunin
in which you are comfortable

Never use a preposition to end a sentence with.

c
Grammar Nazi

Auschwitz

Moves
29 Aug 08
1 edit

Well, as others have already stated, their is no "Perfect" opening.

I guess the English is fine, you just have to be somewhat familiar with it. It can also often transpose into the same setup as with 1.d4.

I personally like to play against it, usually with 1...f5, attacking the center, or with Nf6, going for a KID.

I think the main lines you have to be prepared for are:
1...Nf6
1...c5
1...e5
1...f5
1...e6
1...b6
1...g6

mg

Moves
29 Aug 08

Originally posted by Wulebgr

Ha!

p
High Priest

The Volcano

Moves
29 Aug 08

Originally posted by Wulebgr

Oh where is Winston Churchill when we need him?

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
29 Aug 08

Originally posted by paultopia
Oh where is Winston Churchill when we need him?
Well yes, he was English wasn't he?

L
Stick your hands up

Your bum

Moves
29 Aug 08

I play the English exclusively now. Who's to say 'best'? If it suits you, then yes. When I first played it, it felt like coming home. There's certainly no fundamental flaw in it. Plenty of chances to transpose into other openings, develop your pieces, catalan, get a rook on an open c-file, take control of the centre etc. I keep promising myself I'll try the Bird but as soon as I see a new board my clicky finger strays to that c pawn.

Oh God, I'm getting all emotional.

r

Moves
29 Aug 08

Thanks for all the responses, which I got till now. I really appreciate it.

One of the main reason, why I like the English opening is because the way it opens up the game for white and also the number of other openings it can transpose to. I am prehaps not aware of all the other openings and I feel, if I learn English opening I may get a rub of other openings also. Thats the reason, I feel its better to put the time and effort in this one rather than any other opening.

As far as a book for the English opening book is concerned, I had came across the following:--

Chess Explained: The English Openingby S. Evan Kreider
Tony Kosten’s The Dynamic English
Neil McDonald’s Starting Out: The English

In this thread, Nowakowski also pointed out to "The Dynamic English" and Lukerik pointed to "Anatoly Karpov, How to Play the English Opening (2007)". I am not naive player, I always consider myself to be an above average player 🙂 . Considering this, I would like to know from the experts in the site, which book I should pick and what I can expect from it.

Thanks,
Raphael.

L
Stick your hands up

Your bum

Moves
29 Aug 08

Actually you have Wulebgr to thank for that, as do I. I've seen that book recommended before and could probably do with it. I've had to muddle through learning from a few superior players here, and a bit of research.

I heard a quote once by a famous player that the Sicilian was dreadful as it was full of holes and I often think the same about the English. However I think that as long as you fill those developing spaces with your own pieces then you can't go far wrong.

You can get everything from a d4 with an open c file, to the 4 pawns attack- if some idiot tries a King's Indian or the Hippo.

HM

São Paulo, Brazil

Moves
29 Aug 08

I'd like to know more about the "Dynamic English" book, too. I'm really sick of playing the London System, and I think the English would be a good way to try for an advantage as white without memorizing lots of theory.