1. Fågelsången
    Moves
    24 Dec '07 18:01
    I suppose this is well described in some FAQ but still.....

Is it OK to use engines in unrated games? Me and a friend are going to study some openings and it might be usefull to ask, say, Mr Fritz for advice.
  2. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    24 Dec '07 18:10
    Originally posted by sydsad

Is it OK to use engines in unrated games? Me and a friend are going to study some openings and it might be usefull to ask, say, Mr Fritz for advice.
    Russ says, "no engines period"
  3. Fågelsången
    Moves
    24 Dec '07 18:14
    That is OK! Thank you for the info.
  4. Standard memberbosintang
    perpetualEditMonkey
    Nova Scotia
    Moves
    24 Dec '07 18:21
    In an *UNRATED* training game against your friend, I don't see any reason why you couldn't use engines to help you. The game does not affect your statistics in any way. "No engines at all" in rated games, but in unrated games, who cares?
  5. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    24 Dec '07 18:22

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    24 Dec '07 18:30
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    ...and Russ is boss
  7. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    24 Dec '07 18:32
    Originally posted by sydsad

It depends how you use the engines. If you use them to help you prepare for an opening that is OK. Say you and your friend decide to play a certain book line so you put that line into Fritz before your start the game and use Fritz to suggest improvements / the best line or what to do when the book ends saying "white stands better" and keep details of this analysis that that is perfectly acceptable and legitimate preparation. Retain this information and add to it as time goes by. I do this regularly on lines I have found don't go too well for me following the book, retain the info in a DB and annotate my book. Using this information in a subsequent game is OK.

What you must not do is use Fritz to analyse a current position in a current game regardless of whether it is rated or not.

So rules are rules and thats what it says but if you and your friend agree that you want to play unrated games and both use engines to assist it would be a hard man who banned you for infringing the rules but it could happen and if it does don't blame me.
  8. Standard memberbosintang
    perpetualEditMonkey
    Nova Scotia
    Moves
    24 Dec '07 18:45
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Well maybe he does. I don't see why. If I was the OP, I'd just send a message and ask him. If you're playing an UNRATED game against your friend, who's going to report you?
  9. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    24 Dec '07 18:57
    Originally posted by bosintang
    Well maybe he does. I don't see why. If I was the OP, I'd just send a message and ask him. If you're playing an UNRATED game against your friend, who's going to report you?
    There was a thread about this before...and Russ clearly stated that there is no engine use allowed period!
  10. Fågelsången
    Moves
    24 Dec '07 19:07
    Maybe it is a language thing but I do not quite see the thin line sir Dragon is drawing.

Anyhow, if Russ says "No". That is the rule and I will follow it.

Than you all for interesting input!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree