drawn after 1 move

drawn after 1 move

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TA
I'm 1/4 Ninja

Moves
28 Jan 10

Originally posted by meanmicro
yes thats the one ,and it means technically they have a bye in the first round .
now if we all did that the second round would become the first, if you are not going to play fairly in a torny why bother at all???
Yes, it looks like poor sportsmanship to me.

h

Moves
28 Jan 10

In chess you're looking for a way to at least not lose

If your opponent is generous enough to give you that draw immediately, why not take it

M

Moves
28 Jan 10

After e4 c6, it's a forced draw.

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
28 Jan 10

In an OTB tourney, the director could require them to continue to play, yes?

o
Art is hard

Moves
28 Jan 10

Originally posted by Maxacre42
After e4 c6, it's a forced draw.
has 1.e4 been busted?

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
28 Jan 10

Originally posted by meanmicro
is it not wrong for 2 players to agree a draw in both games in a torny after only 1 move?????
Of course it's wrong. Everyone knows you're supposed to play 12-15 lackluster moves and only then agree to the draw.

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
28 Jan 10

Originally posted by SwissGambit
...you're supposed to play 12-15 lackluster moves and only then agree to the draw.
My exact strategy for most of my games. But when I offer the draw at that point, my opponents laugh and point out I'm a knight and pawn down. 😳 :'(

e4

Moves
28 Jan 10

I recall a thread about this on here ages ago.

Two players (2nd and 3rd graded) in a big tourney took a quick draw to
save themselves.

Anyone remenber it, I wonder how they got on?

h

Moves
28 Jan 10

Originally posted by MontyMoose
My exact strategy for most of my games. But when I offer the draw at that point, my opponents laugh and point out I'm a knight and pawn down. 😳 :'(
🙂

d
happy

home

Moves
29 Jan 10

Originally posted by greenpawn34
I recall a thread about this on here ages ago.

Two players (2nd and 3rd graded) in a big tourney took a quick draw to
save themselves.

Anyone remenber it, I wonder how they got on?
Thread 103409, page 2 ff.
Tournament 5854, group 13.

both went through

T

Moves
29 Jan 10

I agree, its unsportsmanlike. We have a precedent in real life: Miles vs Reuben

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Miles

"Once, in the last round of a tournament (Luton, UK, 1975), with Miles needing a draw for first place, and his opponent, Stewart Reuben wanting a draw for a high placing, he agreed a draw without playing any moves. The arbiter decided to give both players no points for this non-game; the players claimed this "game" had been played often, when players pre-arranged a draw - this was the only time it had been scored correctly, rather than playing out some anodyne non-moves. This sparked a hefty amount of correspondence in British chess journals."

However, its not uncommon in real life since there are no black and white pieces. Just grey outcomes

c

USA

Moves
30 Jan 10

I've only had one pre-arranged draw, when my opponent and I moved our knights in and out, thus repeating the starting position three times. In another tournament, my opponent (who was rated 400 points higher than me) offered a draw after 3 moves (which I accepted), but in that case it was not pre-arranged.