Draw, Resign or Timeout ?

Draw, Resign or Timeout ?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B

Concrete Jungle

Moves
23 Apr 08

Help.

For rating purposes, is it better to Draw, Resign or just wait to Timeout?

Trying to keep from lowering, my already low rating. 🙁

S

Moves
23 Apr 08

Winning is the preferred option.

i

Moves
23 Apr 08

Originally posted by BTigress
Help.

For rating purposes, is it better to Draw, Resign or just wait to Timeout?

Trying to keep from lowering, my already low rating. 🙁
getting a draw out of a losing position is better than resigning (instant loss) or waiting for a timeout (also a loss just the same and can be seen as poor sportsmanship here) the problem is if youre really losing then the opponent wont want to draw..

C

Moves
23 Apr 08

Mathematically, if you have games that you are losing and games that you are winning, it is always better to take your losses _before_ your wins. (Your losses will be at a lower rating level, making the point losses less, and your winnings will be at a lower rating level, making your point gains more.)

B

Concrete Jungle

Moves
23 Apr 08

In other words, win is good, timeout is bad, and less is more.

A draw in this game is near impossible, and I don’t want to be a bad sportsman -- so another loss it will have to be. 🙁

Thanks for your input!

i

Moves
23 Apr 08

In other words, win is good, timeout is bad, and less is more.

A draw in this game is near impossible, and I don’t want to be a bad sportsman -- so another loss it will have to be. 🙁

Thanks for your input!
the main advice i would give is this- just play and enjoy the game.. dont try to edge a mathematical system, just try to beat the opponent and you will improve.. dont be afriad of the rating, youre just starting out..
only resign when you feel comfortable doing it, if you think there is a chance at a comeback or a draw keep going, lower rated players usually go longer for good reasons

EP6
Soul Taker

Tionesta

Moves
27 Apr 08

Many will disagree with me, but this you can take to the bank. Play for the draw. If you have a losing game it will take more work to get that draw than to win a game from an even start. It takes exceptional skill, p-l-a-n-n-i-n-g, andthe thickness of skin to look at yourself in a losing situation and someone enjoying your misery than most can take. But, in playing this loser out to the bitter end, you will learn a lot about the end game, and hopefully your blunders that got you in this position. I play nearly all my games to the bitter end. Its my dime.

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
27 Apr 08

Devil Pawn speaks the truth! Make your opponent demonstrate the win. The stalemate rule is there for a reason. I've never had an opponent get upset over my "play it to the bitter end" attitude. With your back to the wall, your attention becomes VERY focused and that is when you learn.

rb

Behind the computer.

Moves
28 Apr 08

The Golden Rule,

NEVER resign!

I've had multiple amazing-ly well played games, then completely failing in the end game with a rook or even a queen in material advante 🙁

If you play players like me, which you will, you'll find yourself winning a lost game.

S

Moves
28 Apr 08

Originally posted by range blasts
The Golden Rule,

NEVER resign!

I've had multiple amazing-ly well played games, then completely failing in the end game with a rook or even a queen in material advante 🙁

If you play players like me, which you will, you'll find yourself winning a lost game.
No dis-respect, but if you blunder against a much higher rated player then I think you have to hold your hands up & resign.
I agree inasmuch as games featuring players rated below intermediate (-1500) are often have several blunders by both, so you always have the chance to turn things around.
As you play tougher opponents, these chances become much less frequent & playing on in a clearly losing position just becomes deeply depressing & can affect other games where you're doing ok.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
28 Apr 08
1 edit

The Golden Rule,

NEVER resign!

Not resigning a clearly lost position that your opponent obviously knows how to win is, in my opinion, rude. It is also demoralising for the losing side playing it. There is nothing worse than coming back time and again to a clearly lost position so get rid of it and use the time saved to focus on some games you can win.

Rating wise it is obviously better to draw than to lose but it matters not how you lose a game as every type of loss scores the same rating point loss. Rating wise if you are playing 6 games, 2 are draws, 2 are lost and 2 are wins then provided your opponents ratings don't change it shouldn't make any difference which order the losses are taken. You may lose more rating points if you take your losses after the wins but you will get more rating points taking your wins after your losses so it balances out.

g

Moves
28 Apr 08

The Golden Rule,

NEVER resign!

I thought that the so called Golden Rule is "Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets."

F

Moves
28 Apr 08

Originally posted by Dragon Fire
Not resigning a clearly lost position that your opponent obviously knows how to win [b]is, in my opinion, rude.[/b]
I don't have any problems with opponents wanting to play the game to the mate. Why not? Let them. If I spend seconds of a game to show them how I mate them, what does it matter?

The difference would be if I only had 6 games to play with, then I'd treasure each one of them. Now I can start another game if I want new moves coming, I can start hundreds if I want to. I'm a subscriber.

I don't feel they are rude, not at all. I don't mind at all. Please, do, if you want to.

B

Concrete Jungle

Moves
01 May 08
2 edits

I am currently playing an opponent with a rating much higher than mine (+970).

Needless to say, I did not expect to win when I accepted the challenge; and if I wasn’t already intimidated by his rating, I sure was after the introduction to the “Kings Gambit”. I am too new and too poor at the game to have studied openings. (Perhaps there lies my problem.)

And whereas I clearly blundered within the first few moves, I pressed on, despite his offer to begin anew. I hope he didn’t think me to be rude. Now, 23 moves into the game, I think I’ve already learned some game, if only because I have survived (so far).

Game ID: 4932110.

I am confident that there are some higher rated players, that really do want to be instructive.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
01 May 08

I am currently playing an opponent with a rating much higher than mine (+970).

Needless to say, I did not expect to win when I accepted the challenge; and if I wasn’t already intimidated by his rating, I sure was after the introduction to the “Kings Gambit”. I am too new and too poor at the game to have studied openings. (Perhaps there lies my proble ...[text shortened]...
I am confident that there are some higher rated players, that really do want to be instructive.
I don't have any problem with this but what would be nice would be an in game message along the lines "I know you have me beaten and I should resign but I would really like to see how you win this as I am learning a lot so I hope you don't mind me playing on".