Does the new junior girls World champ become a GM?

Does the new junior girls World champ become a GM?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
27 Nov 17

I know that the boys champion becomes a GM automatically if they win the title (assuming they aren't already one), but I wonder if anyone knows whether the girls champ also gains this title? Perhaps they become a WGM instead??

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
27 Nov 17

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Junior_Chess_Championship#World_Girls_U-20_Championship

Ah, she becomes a WGM. Interestingly, the second and third placed finishers get IM and WIM titles depending on sex. I didn't know that..

mlb62

Moves
27 Nov 17

Hou Yifan is the highest rated female, at 2680..ahead of Nigel Short and Gata Kamsky. That's number 66 in the world..Yifan disdains women only tournaments, and rightly so. The Womens titles should be abolished...

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
27 Nov 17

Originally posted by @ogb
Hou Yifan is the highest rated female, at 2680..ahead of Nigel Short and Gata Kamsky. That's number 66 in the world..Yifan disdains women only tournaments, and rightly so. The Womens titles should be abolished...
I don't really have an issue with womens titles tbh. It is a bit strange that we have them, especially seeing that so many woman have achieved the IM and GM titles in the mens category. I don't see the harm in them though.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
28 Nov 17

Women get the gm title if they win the adult women's world championship but not the junior girls world championship, but the kid looks like she will probably become a gm someday.