Do you remember all the moves to your most recent completed game?

Do you remember all the moves to your most recent completed game?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PDI

Moves
18 Jul 13

If it is common for you to be able to play back a game in its entirety right after the game is finished without referring to notes, is it because you make a point of memorizing the game as it goes along? Or is it more of a subconscious thing such that even if you didn’t particularly want to remember every move, you still would?

For me, the answer would be “No, I cannot reconstruct the moves,” for any game that goes more than about eight moves. On the other hand, if ahead of the game I were offered a million dollars if I could play it back by memory, I am pretty sure I could make use of that incentive and succeed if the game did not go on for more than about 50 moves. But it would feel like an encumbrance on me, and I wouldn’t do it without the artificial incentive of a reward.

R

Moves
18 Jul 13

Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
If it is common for you to be able to play back a game in its entirety right after the game is finished without referring to notes, is it because you make a point of memorizing the game as it goes along? Or is it more of a subconscious thing such that even if you didn’t particularly want to remember every move, you still would?

For me, the answer wo ...[text shortened]... el like an encumbrance on me, and I wouldn’t do it without the artificial incentive of a reward.
I can play a whole game of blindfold chess if I want to show off to my school friends. I do have a photographic memory though so maybe it doesn't count.

E

Moves
18 Jul 13

If you have a photgraphic memory and you want to get better at chess, then memorize a bunch of GM games!

That's something I've read over and over. I don't have that gift, so I decided it wouldn't do me much good.

R

Moves
19 Jul 13

Originally posted by Eladar
If you have a photgraphic memory and you want to get better at chess, then memorize a bunch of GM games!

That's something I've read over and over. I don't have that gift, so I decided it wouldn't do me much good.
Ja perhaps I should.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
19 Jul 13
4 edits

Originally posted by Paul Dirac II

For me, the answer wo ...[text shortened]... el like an encumbrance on me, and I wouldn’t do it without the artificial incentive of a reward.
I can't do it unless it is a real short game like a scholars mate or fools mate.
Game 8125715
That is my first game on RHP and I can't remember how it goes even thought it was so short. But I probably could have remembered the moves for a short time immediately after I had finished it.

[Event "Challenge"]
[Site "http://www.redhotpawn.com"]
[Date "2011.01.24"]
[EndDate "2011.01.24"]
[Round "?"]
[White "RJHinds"]
[Black "Byanlor"]
[WhiteRating "2132"]
[BlackRating "1086"]
[WhiteElo "2132"]
[BlackElo "1086"]
[Result "1-0"]
[GameId "8125715"]

The instructor

Moves
19 Jul 13

If the game on the board was intense, exciting, involving me deeply, I surely can reproduce the moves immediately after the game.

DJ

Moves
19 Jul 13

I can do so immediately after the game, with my opponents help. I can remember my move if my opponent helps with his, and I can remember the opening, but that's all. Though it's a short term thing, I can't remember any of my games now. I think what I'm remembering is WHY I made the move, what I was responding too etc rather than the actual move, I just work it out the same again given the same information.

Isolated Pawn

Wisconsin USA

Moves
19 Jul 13

Can you memorize things you don't see/haven't seen? tyia

s

Moves
19 Jul 13

I used to be able to remember all the moves and most of my thoughts at the time fairly easily but not really needed to for quite a few years and probably couldn't now. Lack of practice, age, and alcohol are probably to blame !

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
20 Jul 13

Yes I remember the moves from my last game, they all sucked.😞

w
misanthrope

seclusion

Moves
20 Jul 13

I can replay most of my OTB games immediately after the game. It's not so much remembering the moves, but more the plan.

If I can't remember my plans, then I do have to rely on my photogenic mammaries.

M

Moves
20 Jul 13
1 edit

Like others, I can with my opponents help after the game. If I try to do so quickly enough, and can remember the plans and themes of the game, I find I can remember most of the moves, or used to be able to. I've thought about this again recently, as I may be playing some over the board chess soon enough again, and would like to remember my games so I can learn from them. A small notebook will definitely be in order, as well as feeding the games into some form of database for easier annotation and analysis.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
20 Jul 13

Originally posted by ketchuplover
Can you memorize things you don't see/haven't seen? tyia
As a kid, I used to be able to memorize songs like"Jesus loves me" that I heard sung in the church Sunday School. I don't know if I could now.

The Instructor