1. Joined
    31 Mar '20
    Moves
    04 Apr '20 14:19
    Well I have never seen a submarine that could fly like a plane and I have never seen a fighter jet go under water like a submarine so yes some soldiers have limitations just like chess pieces.

I wasn't comparing chess to war I was saying chess was a war training game intended to make officers have forethought and make them become planners.
    This was way back 2000 years ago when the original chess was invented.

Now it is a game and en passant sucks!
  2. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    04 Apr '20 14:38
    @flopwrist said
    Well I have never seen a submarine that could fly like a plane and I have never seen a fighter jet go under water like a submarine so yes some soldiers have limitations just like chess pieces.

I wasn't comparing chess to war I was saying chess was a war training game intended to make officers have forethought and make them become planners.

I disagree(as you'd expect!!)
    En passant is a tactic if you like.
    Your opponent must decide on his next move and his next move only whether or not to invoke the rule.
    Similar decisions would have had to be made by commanders in military conflicts.
    I'm not saying change should not happen but only if it improves the game.
    I can't agree where stopping en passant in chess would satisfy this.
    I don't know without looking if en passant is possible in our game, but if it is I'll try it just to wind you up!!(just joking)
  3. Joined
    31 Mar '20
    Moves
    04 Apr '20 14:45
    LoL 😉
  4. Joined
    04 Apr '20
    Moves
    10 Apr '20 19:131 edit
    If pawns can capture en passant, then pieces should be allowed to as well, just to be fair. Let's say a white pawn moves to g4, bypassing the g3 square that a black rook was attacking. The rook should then be allowed to capture it. The move could be notated "Rxg3 e.p."
  5. Joined
    09 Jan '20
    Moves
    11 Apr '20 13:23
    @ogb said
    Stalemate should be a win, not a draw..
    Agree.
    It's a win in checkers, why not chess?
    Also I'm on the fence about en passant , leaning towards abolishing it.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    13 Apr '20 22:56
    @flopwrist said
    I don't see you winning this argument. 😉
    He just did.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    13 Apr '20 23:08
    @flopwrist said

Chess has never been a war training game.
    "War games" have been used by military commanders for at least 2,500 years.

Chess dates back about 1500 years.(India)
    The modern game is about 500 years old. (Southern Europe)
  8. Joined
    31 Mar '20
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 17:09
    https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-32542306
  9. Joined
    31 Mar '20
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 17:461 edit
    In another article it says Napoleon had his generals play chess to get them to be better generals.

Just because it is ridiculous doesn't mean it didn't happen.
    In the past chess was used as a war training game.

Fact 😉
  10. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    01 May '20 18:00
    @ogb said
    Stalemate should be a win, not a draw..
    agreed 100%. Stalemate is scored a win

I also wouldn't mind seeing an en prise king captured.
  11. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    02 May '20 13:54
    @earl-of-trumps said
    agreed 100%. Stalemate is scored a win

I also wouldn't mind seeing an en prise king captured.
    The latter is the rule in blitz.
  12. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 May '20 18:44
    @flopwrist said
    In another article it says Napoleon had his generals play chess to get them to be better generals.

Just because it is ridiculous doesn't mean it didn't happen.
    True; both the Iraq war and the Yugoslav match happened. Still doesn't make chess a wargame.

By the way, Nappy was a famously enthusiastic, but also a notoriously useless chess player. He though himself moderately strong, but you or I could've beaten him without trying. Which us another contrast with real war, where he was so strong that he was kicking the Limeys' backsides into a wicker basket until the Jerries showed up and won the battle.
  13. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    07 Jun '20 00:27
    1) If castling is possible, why is uncastling not? If the king and rooks have not made any move that makes castling impossible then one ought to be able to castle kingside, uncastle and then castle queenside and back again to one's heart's content.

2) Why can't one not castle out of check, since one can move out of check I don't see a reason for it. Moving through or into check is a different matter as the king can't do that with normal king moves.

3) So, if one can't castle out of check why not replace the king with a frightened rabbit, which can't move out of check at all. So 1. e4 e5 2. Bc4 Bc5 3. Bxf7# would be one of the quickest games. The French Defence would be really popular under these rules.

4) Alternatively the rabbit doesn't have to be frightened and can capture to get out of check, but remain transfixed in the face of a long range check. In which case the shortest possible game would be 1. e4 e5 2. Bc4 Bc5 3. Bxf7 Kxf7 4. Qf3# or Qh5#.
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    07 Jun '20 01:20
    @flopwrist said
    https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-32542306
    Just read your link.
    It doesn't support your hypothesis at all.
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    07 Jun '20 01:24
    @deepthought said
    2) Why can't one not castle out of check, since one can move out of check I don't see a reason for it. Moving through or into check is a different matter as the king can't do that with normal king moves.
    The logic of that is a bit of a puzzle. Castling is a king move and forbidding
    a certain move of a piece in a certain circumstance seems arbitrary. I can
    only think that the rule is there to preserve any mating patterns prior to the
    introduction of castling. (The same thought process that introduced en passant)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree