Davy Jones Chess Challenge

Davy Jones Chess Challenge

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I

Moves
17 Oct 07

Although some will say that this is a "point-of-view" type of a question, there is an answer that is universally considered correct by most chess experts. (including myself teehee:>😉

Ok, here we go:

Who was (no longer alive) the greatest player never to win the World Championship?

Who will win Davy Jones chess Challenge part 1!?

DD
Stealer of Souls

Waiting for You

Moves
17 Oct 07

Originally posted by IDAVID
Although some will say that this is a "point-of-view" type of a question, there is an answer that is universally considered correct by most chess experts. (including myself teehee:>😉

Ok, here we go:

Who was (no longer alive) the greatest player never to win the World Championship?

Dutch Defense

b
Best Loser

Traxler is Sound!

Moves
17 Oct 07

Mikhail Tal!!!

oh wait ... ah forget it he's best anyways 😛

t

Moves
17 Oct 07

Originally posted by ih8sens
Mikhail Tal!!!

oh wait ... ah forget it he's best anyways 😛
I beg to differ! 😏

g

Moves
17 Oct 07

Paul Keres.

t

Moves
17 Oct 07
1 edit

Originally posted by gaychessplayer
Paul Keres.
I beg to differ! 😏

Moves
17 Oct 07

Ok, here we go:

Akiba Rubenstein

Moves
17 Oct 07
1 edit

Uh, problem is that Tal was champion. Keres too I think.

t

Moves
17 Oct 07

Originally posted by Kunsoo
Akiba Rubenstein
I beg to differ! 😏

FL

Moves
17 Oct 07

Originally posted by Kunsoo
Uh, problem is that Tal was champion. Keres too I think.
Paul Keres never won the World Championship and is a good candidate for best player never to have done so.

t

Moves
17 Oct 07
1 edit

Three spring to mind: Rubinstein, Keres and Bronstein.
I'd probably go for Bronstein.

K
Demon Duck

of Doom!

Moves
17 Oct 07

Ok, here we go:

Richard Reti

FL

Moves
17 Oct 07

Originally posted by Kepler
Richard Reti
That's an interesting choice, I never really thought of him as being a possible World Championship candidate, Capablanca, Alekhine and Lasker were much better than him for just about his entire career and I'd rate Rubinstein as a better player as well.

How about Harry Pillsbury, he doesn't seem to get talked about much nowadays (maybe it's different in America), but I reckon he would have been World Champion for years if it wasn't for Lasker.

London

Moves
17 Oct 07

Would our Nigel Short be a candidate as a possible champion if it weren't for Kasparov keeping him away.

FL

Moves
17 Oct 07

Originally posted by Mahout
Would our Nigel Short be a candidate as a possible champion if it weren't for Kasparov keeping him away.
No. He was never in Kasparov or Karpov's league (although he managed to beat the latter in a short, so to speak, match). Ivanchuck was probably better than Short at that time as well and maybe even Anand (though he was still nowhere near his peak).