d4 or e4

d4 or e4

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

h
Endgamer

Wisconsin

Moves
18 Jul 07

Originally posted by RahimK
Do not misquote me, or else!
I wasn't. I'm just trying to add my two cents to the conversation.

1...c5!

Your Kingside

Moves
18 Jul 07

Why don't you take all the games from people rated over 2700 in the last 5 years and see what they think? This is a silly question. 1 move in to the game, how could you determine which one is better. If you really wanna blow up your computer, take Chessbase and do an opening report on 1. e4 or 1. d4, and see which one scores better, but even that means very little.

G

Stockholm, Sweden

Moves
18 Jul 07

The truth is that 1. e4 is the best and you should always play it.

z

Moves
18 Jul 07

Originally posted by Golub
????

MMM

Moves
18 Jul 07

I disagree

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
18 Jul 07
1 edit

Originally posted by kmac27
what is better? it seems one side says e4 is better because white is able to quickly get to safety by castling. so what is the best move? i've heard from several players who were rated up near the highest say e4 is the best for white and the best reply is e5. hmm just something to argue about and i'd like to see some good comments to get a better footing on what i play.
whichever feels better for you is the correct answer. you'll always play better in the type of position you feel comfortable with. and don't be fooled by the old nonsense about e4 being aggressive and d4 passive either. I'm an aggressive player, and that's actually what got me playing d4, because I get the pressure on from move one.

I get a lot of timid players playing e4 against me, people who will settle for a draw. I suppose it's because they think playing e4 will make them aggressive. which of course it doesn't.

and I very much doubt anyone on our level has anything reasonable to say about any opening. I certainly don't. any opening can be made to work below master level, and possibly even on it.

1.Nf3

The Hague

Moves
18 Jul 07

I disagree, I've been playing 1. Nf3 a lot lately in my games with white, especially against the higher rated opponents, and got some very nice and agressive position out of it. 1. d4 and 1. e4 aren't the only good possibilities...

b
Best Loser

Traxler is Sound!

Moves
18 Jul 07

You know... a lot of chess 'scientists', if you like, say that is the truth... on the other hand, the imbalances of other openings are often just as good and e4 has about 19 different legitimate rivals at our level.

G

Stockholm, Sweden

Moves
18 Jul 07

(Please mind the irony)

C

EDMONTON ALBERTA

Moves
18 Jul 07
1 edit

Originally posted by wittywonka
1. c4 is by far the strongest... 😉
I wouldn't say its the strongest... but it definitley has been pretty good to me. 🙂

J

back in business

Moves
18 Jul 07

e4 is better than d4, but statistically speaking a4 might take the cake.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
18 Jul 07
2 edits

Actually it does not matters which opening to choose if you can get from opening playable position which you like to play and which you understand at least no worse than your opponent. - So its your individual choice.

h

Moves
18 Jul 07

After over 2 hours of analysis, strong chess programs like Fritz 10 or Rybka 1.3 suggests 1.d4, but thats just computer programs. I read this on some international master's website

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
18 Jul 07

Originally posted by kmac27
wasn't quoting. we are all small fish in a big pond.
I wasn't talking about you.

The pond is small.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
18 Jul 07

Originally posted by hammster21
I wasn't. I'm just trying to add my two cents to the conversation.
Originally posted by RahimK
Cough, definately not RahimK

Misquoted:

Cough, definately not in this joint.