1. London
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 15:54
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    congratulations. I hope I also will make it around that rating some day, but I want to keep my percentage high (above 90).

I have reached 6843 tries with 90.0 percentage and a 1363 rating. (highest is 1390). it really really gets me frustrated not being able to climb. it gets higher so slow I sometimes get the feeling if I don't compromise that percentage, I'll never see 1500s. but I'll try some more.
    I think the 90% success rate is quite some achievement by itself.
  2. Joined
    31 Oct '03
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 20:15
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    I think he was reffering to his number of tries..
    I can send you my files, what do I gain from lying? I have 2089 and 81 percent success rate. Do you want a screenshot?
  3. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 20:19
    Originally posted by kenan
    I can send you my files, what do I gain from lying? I have 2089 and 81 percent success rate. Do you want a screenshot?
    What files? how about just your handle? Although it occurs to me that you may be talking about CT-Art != CTS
    CTS = Chess Tactics Server = chess.emrald.net/
  4. Joined
    31 Oct '03
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 20:30
    Originally posted by zebano
    What files? how about just your handle? Although it occurs to me that you may be talking about CT-Art != CTS
    CTS = Chess Tactics Server = chess.emrald.net/
    http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg216/kenanrhp/?action=view&current=kenan1.jpg
  5. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 20:41
    http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg216/kenanrhp/?action=view&current=kenan1.jpg
    Yes,
    That is CT-ART, as I explained before, we are talking about a website which emphases solving problems quickly.
  6. Joined
    31 Oct '03
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 20:43
    Originally posted by zebano
    Yes,
    That is CT-ART, as I explained before, we are talking about a website which emphases solving problems quickly.
    WTF I know? I am Turkish, you have to explain things to me over and over.
  7. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 20:49
    WTF I know? I am Turkish, you have to explain things to me over and over.
    You should give it a try though ...

chess.emrald.net/
  8. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 21:45
    I didn't think you were lying !

I just thought there is some misunderstanding, since on chess.emrald.net is extremly difficult to break 2000, even for 2000 OTB players.

As now is obvious, it was misunderstanding 🙂

Anyway 2000+ is good rating in any case !
  9. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 21:51
    I hate that site, I like the one on chess.com (w. chessmentor) alot better.
  10. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 21:54
    Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
    I hate that site, I like the one on chess.com (w. chessmentor) alot better.
    You hate Chess tactics server ? Why ?
  11. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 23:13
    I didn't think you were lying !

I just thought there is some misunderstanding, since on chess.emrald.net is extremly difficult to break 2000, even for 2000 OTB players.

As now is obvious, it was misunderstanding 🙂

Anyway 2000+ is good rating in any case !
    and even that's an understatement. -hikaru nakamura managed 1850 on CTS as I remember, and with a lousy success rate at that. most GMs score around 1800-1950 there.

there doesn't seem to be a clear difference between FMs, IMs and GMs there, which is quite interesting. the average of these groups differs slightly, but the individual differences mask that.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 23:236 edits
    Originally posted by wormwood
    and even that's an understatement. -hikaru nakamura managed 1850 on CTS as I remember, and with a lousy success rate at that. most GMs score around 1800-1950 there.

there doesn't seem to be a clear difference between FMs, IMs and GMs there, which is quite interesting. the average of these groups differs slightly, but the individual differences mask that.
    wow... that's shocking to me. then what the hell makes these guys soooo much better than amateurs tactically otb?? nakamura is 1850 with a lousy success rate??? and he is especially renowned for his tactical abilities! Wasn't it supposed to be all about pattern recognition? What is going on here? really.
  13. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 23:31
    wow... that's shocking to me. then what the hell makes these guys soooo much better than amateurs tactically otb?? nakamura is 1850 with [b]a lousy success rate??? and he is especially renowned for his tactical abilities! Wasn't it supposed to be all about pattern recognition? What is going on here? really.[/b]
    There's a big emphasis on solving the problems quickly, maybe that's not as important as you might think in slow play chess.
  14. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 23:59
    wow... that's shocking to me. then what the hell makes these guys soooo much better than amateurs tactically otb?? nakamura is 1850 with [b]a lousy success rate??? and he is especially renowned for his tactical abilities! Wasn't it supposed to be all about pattern recognition? What is going on here? really.[/b]
    well my homebrewn 'theory' is that contrary to popular belief, tactics is not the most important thing in blitz. I believe understanding the type of positions you get into is more important. - most moves in blitz are not tactical, any more than in slow games. instead, most moves are in situations where you need to do a reasonably good, non-losing move, and do it fast. which means you need to understand the position, which is all about experience. the non-losing part is where tactics come in. it's the blunder check.

if you analyse any blitz game, you can see in seconds why the losing move was bad (or very dangerous). even in GM blitz. there are no subtle brilliancies in that speed (unless it's pre-analysed), and nobody can see all tactics in a blitz game. there simply isn't time.

I've watched the 100+ blitz games of GM henrik danielsen (http://www.videochess.net/) over and over again. and the thing that never seizes to amaze me, is how simple his moves & reasoning are. there are no long lines, no complicated combinations. you can understand every move very quickly. and yet, he keeps routinely winning against these 2200-2600 ICC guys.
  15. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    08 Mar '08 02:14
    You hate Chess tactics server ? Why ?
    its too fast, try http://www.chess.com/tactics/server.html

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree