Corus Chess 2009 .....

Corus Chess 2009 .....

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
17 Jan 09
1 edit

Welcome to Corus Chess 2009

The 71st Corus Chess tournament will be held from 16 January - 1 February 2009 in Wijk aan Zee, the Netherlands.

http://www.coruschess.com/

DAILY REPORT: A Stunning Start!

The lots have been drawn, the festival has been declared open, the gong was struck, and so the Corus 2009 is on in full swing!

Normally the first round of big events is typical of hesitation and ‘all games drawn’ while the opponents feel the water. Not so today! Blood was drawn, and it was no less than a sensation when last seed Jan Smeets toppled top ranked Vassily Ivanchuk with the black pieces... (read more)

January 17 2009 - Corus Chess Press

http://www.coruschess.com/report.php?year=2009&report=1

Check it out !

Moves
18 Jan 09

good to see henrique mecking in limelight again.

e

Jerusalem

Moves
18 Jan 09

It will be interesting to see Morozevich in this tournament. Usually he plays very "tasty" chess. Yesterday he lost his first game, so i expect him to fight today

N

The sky

Moves
18 Jan 09

Originally posted by elady
It will be interesting to see Morozevich in this tournament. Usually he plays very "tasty" chess. Yesterday he lost his first game, so i expect him to fight today
And he won today! So did Ivanchuk. In Group B, Hou Yifan (2571) won against top seed Krishnan Sasikiran (2711). Go, Hou, go!

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
18 Jan 09

Originally posted by Nordlys
And he won today! So did Ivanchuk. In Group B, Hou Yifan (2571) won against top seed Krishnan Sasikiran (2711). Go, Hou, go!
Sexist. 😛

N

The sky

Moves
18 Jan 09

Originally posted by Palynka
Sexist. 😛
Hey, she would be the youngest person in the Top 20 Juniors list if FIDE hadn't left her out for some strange reason, and she's the youngest player in the B Group. That would get my attention no matter what gender she is. So you can call me ageist instead of sexist. 😛

N

The sky

Moves
19 Jan 09

Jan Smeets explaining how to win a game despite your position being worse throughout the game: http://www.chessvibes.com/reports/corus-r1-press-conference/#more-7192

e

Jerusalem

Moves
19 Jan 09

It seems like Chuki & Moro forgot the meaning of the word "draw".
Ivanchuck played very strong against Rajabov but blitzed at the end of the game and made a couple of bad moves. Morozevich was sure that he much better than Kamsky, played too risky and just lost too fast.

N

The sky

Moves
19 Jan 09

Originally posted by elady
It seems like Chuki & Moro forgot the meaning of the word "draw".
Ivanchuck played very strong against Rajabov but blitzed at the end of the game and made a couple of bad moves. Morozevich was sure that he much better than Kamsky, played too risky and just lost too fast.
Carlsen, on the other hand, forgot the meaning of the word "win".

N

The sky

Moves
25 Jan 09

Originally posted by Nordlys
Carlsen, on the other hand, forgot the meaning of the word "win".
He just took his 8th draw in a row...

W
Angler

River City

Moves
25 Jan 09

Sergei Movsesian!

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
25 Jan 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Wulebgr
Sergei Movsesian!
I hope he`ll be in top 3. He`s one of my favorite modern GM`s.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
25 Jan 09

Originally posted by Korch
I hope he`ll be in top 3. He`s one of my favorite modern GM`s.
Five rounds left and he has the lead by 1/2 point. If he keeps playing well, he should be near the top.

G

Moves
26 Jan 09

Morozevich is playing really bad chess, that sacrifice against Domingeuz was just laughable. I don't know if he plays weird sub-systems simply to be original but I think that if someone would just slap him in the face and force him to play main lines he would get much better results.

Sometimes it seems like he picks this weird sideline the day before the game and just gets surprised at move 9 or something (his Grunfeld against Wang Yeu).

e

Jerusalem

Moves
27 Jan 09

Originally posted by Garnoth
Morozevich is playing really bad chess, that sacrifice against Domingeuz was just laughable. I don't know if he plays weird sub-systems simply to be original but I think that if someone would just slap him in the face and force him to play main lines he would get much better results.

Sometimes it seems like he picks this weird sideline the day before the game and just gets surprised at move 9 or something (his Grunfeld against Wang Yeu).
He usually tries to run away from theory and to fight in the middlegame. I can't remember good novelties of him. His strategy works good against 2400-2700 players, but badly works against 2700+ GM's