Confession of a sore loser.

Confession of a sore loser.

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EL
The guy

...who does not know

Moves
13 Dec 09

I have to admit, I HATE to lose. I love this game and I love to play. I really don't even mind losing in games that are well fought, against players with ratings near my own. I have to admit though, and maybe it makes me a jerk. If so, I'm sorry, I'll try to be better. When I am just getting handled by someone with a lower rating, only to discover that their 5 year or 3 year highest rating is nearly 1900. It really chaps my .................. Is this wrong of me? I mean, it is just a silly game. 🙂 Yes, maybe I should have read their profile sooner. I have a lot to learn about this game and am trying to improve. I am studying games, reading books, and practicing tactics. My rating is slowly improving, but again, I have to admit. I HATE to lose. LOL Does anybody else have this problem, or am I a little off in the noggin'? It's ok to be honest. I wouldn't post this if I was not able to handle the responses. 🙂 Just FYI, in this case, my opponent seems very nice. I don't have any individually hard feelings. I'm more embarrassed at my oversight. My opponent is whipping me like a little schoolgirl. LOL So forgive me for acting like one. LOL 😛
Eric

h

Moves
13 Dec 09

loser

A

Moves
13 Dec 09

Originally posted by Eric LeFavour
I have to admit, I HATE to lose. I love this game and I love to play. I really don't even mind losing in games that are well fought, against players with ratings near my own. I have to admit though, and maybe it makes me a jerk. If so, I'm sorry, I'll try to be better. When I am just getting handled by someone with a lower rating, only to discover ...[text shortened]... ping me like a little schoolgirl. LOL So forgive me for acting like one. LOL 😛
Eric
Look at the bright side.
You have at least one of the prerequisites to be a champion 🙂

Moves
13 Dec 09

I have to admit, I HATE to lose. I love this game and I love to play. I really don't even mind losing in games that are well fought, against players with ratings near my own. I have to admit though, and maybe it makes me a jerk. If so, I'm sorry, I'll try to be better. When I am just getting handled by someone with a lower rating, only to discover ...[text shortened]... ping me like a little schoolgirl. LOL So forgive me for acting like one. LOL 😛
Eric
Hey why not send me a game over( unrated and long timeout)
Ill try and talk you through it and maybe you can pick up some pointers. You should easily be able to add a couple of hundred points to your rating with a little application.
And chill out! Losing is a huge part of the learning curve.

EL
The guy

...who does not know

Moves
13 Dec 09

Originally posted by heinzkat
loser
Thanks heinz. LOL 😛

h

Moves
13 Dec 09

Originally posted by Talisman
You should easily be able to add a couple of hundred points to your rating with a little application.
Crafty is pretty small indeed 😕

EL
The guy

...who does not know

Moves
14 Dec 09

Originally posted by heinzkat
Crafty is pretty small indeed 😕
Are you referring to the chess software Crafty. My uncle analyzes our games through Crafty frequently. It is usually helpful.
Eric

c
Grammar Nazi

Auschwitz

Moves
14 Dec 09

I mean, it is just a silly game. 🙂
😠😠😠

rc

Moves
14 Dec 09

Eric
all chess players hate to lose, do not let them tell you anything to the contrary, the way to accept defeat, is to view it as a learning experience, and accept it. i usually comfort myself with the delusion that it had nothing to do with my opponents brilliant play, but simply with my own mistakes! 😉

h

Moves
14 Dec 09
2 edits

I have to admit that when I lose to someone and don't take it well (which is fairly rare), I just assume they may have cheated using software. lol. Often I will play blitz when I am tired just because I am addicted to blitz. And when I blunder and lose as a result I feel like telling my opponent that if I was rested he might not have won. But I don't tell him that as I don't care for "excuse-itis" much. Wimps have to excuse their play. I do find it funny when someone blunders against me and says they are sorry to cover up their embarrassment. And I admire people I beat who message me "gg" at the end of the game when they lose. I try to message "gg" to my opponents when I lose a good chess battle but it is hard sometimes due to ego damage. The important thing is not to feel like chess is a test of how smart or worthy you are.

It's...umm..."just a game."

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
14 Dec 09

Eric
I don't really see anything wrong here. You can't improve without taking yourself to task for losing games on silly mistakes.

Just don't try and take the frustration out on your opponent - it will only make his win sweeter when he hears it.

EL
The guy

...who does not know

Moves
14 Dec 09

Originally posted by SwissGambit
I don't really see anything wrong here. You can't improve without taking yourself to task for losing games on silly mistakes.

Just don't try and take the frustration out on your opponent - it will only make his win sweeter when he hears it.
My opponent in this case is a very nice individual. I really don't get angry with my opponent. My point is just that I HATE to lose. LOL I think we all do. This particular game, or pair of games, were frustrating the crap out of me. I should have looked at my opponents profile sooner. It's my own undoing, as usual. LOL I had worked my way to almost 1400, but have since fallen off the ladder. I was fighting to keep over 1200 when this pair of games came up. I felt good because my opponent was rated almost 100 points below me and I know I had been falling. So I took the rating a bit for granted and maybe was a little "try something new" early on. My opponent just took it to me. Once I pulled out my last hair I took a peek at his profile. DUH! Should have done that sooner. He is admittedly a 1900 USCF player whose 5 year best here is about 1850. Clearly a superior player. My own fault for not looking. I was not mislead by him or cheated by him. I just, in my head, could not believe what this seemingly lower rated player was doing to me. He blasted me apart. I was shocked as my rating continued to fall. It's an ego thing. I admit it. I will admit this also, I HATE to lose more than I LOVE to win. 🙂
Eric

e4

Moves
15 Dec 09

On the very rare occasions I lost OTB, ( 😉 ) I use to console with the thought
that chess would be very boring if I won every game.

B
King-Flicker

Leeds, UK.

Moves
19 Dec 09

I played the stupidest game of my life at a match on Wednesday - I’d won a piece (possibly 2) against an ECF:140 which is pretty good for me! He made a cheap threat of mate, all I had to do was kick his Bishop with my pawn then win a Knight. I though fine, went out for a smoke and got a pint in, came back and took the Knight straight off the board - Check and Mate 😳

I shook his hand, said well played, walked downstairs to the bar and got absolutely wrecked on cider, I couldn’t see straight at work the next day.

I’m still gritting my teeth when I think about it 3 days later, it was awful.

EL
The guy

...who does not know

Moves
19 Dec 09

Originally posted by Borgov
I played the stupidest game of my life at a match on Wednesday - I’d won a piece (possibly 2) against an ECF:140 which is pretty good for me! He made a cheap threat of mate, all I had to do was kick his Bishop with my pawn then win a Knight. I though fine, went out for a smoke and got a pint in, came back and took the Knight straight off the board - Check and ...[text shortened]... the next day.

I’m still gritting my teeth when I think about it 3 days later, it was awful.
It's good to know I am not alone. LOL 🙂 At least as far as hating to lose is concerned. We may deal with it in different manners, but we still twist on it for days after the loss. 😏