Chess Quotes

Chess Quotes

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I
King of slow

Moves
14 Apr 09

"How does Tal win? He develops all his pieces in the centre and then sacrifices them somewhere." - Bronstein

p

Moves
14 Apr 09

Chess Quotes

There are some really funny ones here.

http://www.chessville.com/Quotes/misc_trivia_quotes_wit.htm

p

Moves
14 Apr 09

I don't know if this is on that page, but ...

"If Tal sacrifices a piece, take it. If Petrosian sacrifices a piece, don't take it." --- Mikhail Botvinnik

rc

Moves
14 Apr 09

Originally posted by diskamyl
yeah, all that crap and a sexist. all it takes to be a "gentleman."
oh whats wrong, did the bad ol putty cat not like what ol Bobby wrote, there there never mind, perhaps you can point out the correlation between what Fischer meant and your atrocious statements with regard to Nazism, for to be sure, as I was reflecting on it I cannot find the link myself, did the Nazis object to sneakers? did they also not allow women in their clubs?, you are entitled to your opinion, Fischer is also entitled to his, as for me, i got a zillion things better to do that trade insults with you so if you do not mind, well i got better things to do.

rc

Moves
14 Apr 09

Originally posted by diskamyl
yeah, all that crap and a sexist. all it takes to be a "gentleman."
it was intended to be humorous, my goodness you need to get a different outlet for your creative....creative, well, ummm, nevermind.

R

Moves
14 Apr 09

Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
I don't know if this is on that page, but ...

"If Tal sacrifices a piece, take it. If Petrosian sacrifices a piece, don't take it." --- Mikhail Botvinnik
I remember a similar botvinnik quote:
"When Tal sacrifices,accept.When I sacrifice,calculate the variations.When Kasparov sacrifices,resign!"

Good stuff 🙂

p

Moves
14 Apr 09

Here are my favorites:

Chess, like love, like music, has the power to make men happy. - Tarrasch

A chess game is divided into three stages: the first, when you hope you have the advantage, the second when you believe you have an advantage, and the third... when you know you're going to lose! - Tartakower

When you see a good move wait - look for a better one. - Emanuel Lasker

The Passed Pawn is a criminal, who should be kept under lock and key. Mild measures, such as police surveillance, are not sufficient. - Nimzovich

and of course...Ben Franklin:
"The Game of Chess is not merely an idle amusement several very valuable qualities of the mind, useful in the course of human life, are to be acquired and strenghtened by it, so as to become habits ready on all occasions for life is a kind of Chess, in which we have points to gain, and competition or adversaries to contend with, and in which there is a vast variety of good and ill events, that are, in some degree, the effect of prudence, or want of it. By playing at Chess then, we may learn:

First, Foresight...

Second, Circumspection...

Third, Caution...

And lastly, We learn by Chess the habit of not being discouraged by present bad appearances in the state of our affairs the habit of hoping for a favorable chance, and that of persevering in the secrets of resources."

m

Moves
15 Apr 09

Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
Chess Quotes

There are some really funny ones here.

http://www.chessville.com/Quotes/misc_trivia_quotes_wit.htm
Funny stuff indeed!

I liked this one:

"Messieurs Alekhine, do you prefer the queen on the board or on the bed?" – An interviewer
"It depends on the position." – Alexander Alekhine

k

washington

Moves
15 Apr 09

playing fischer is like playing a chess god he gives you all of his bad pieces and takes all of your good pieces. Something to the sort not 100%.

All I want to do ever, is play chess.

None other than fischer.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
15 Apr 09

The dogmatic blockade prolongs the fight and makes it necessary to still find some precise moves

Mihai Suba

K

Moves
15 Apr 09

Here's another site with more chess quotes:

http://www.chess-poster.com/english/notes_and_facts/chess_quotes.htm

I like this one:

“There are two types of sacrifices: correct ones and mine” (Mikhail Tal)

F

Moves
15 Apr 09

"Oh, no!"
- Fabian

rc

Moves
15 Apr 09

Originally posted by black beetle
The dogmatic blockade prolongs the fight and makes it necessary to still find some precise moves

Mihai Suba
Lol, i don't think this is a chess quote, but i think it should be

'it is better to suffer the winters wind, than the tigers breath!

Patzer

Canberra

Moves
15 Apr 09
1 edit

Tony Miles on Kasparov - "He is like a monster with a thousand eyes, who sees everything and misses nothing"

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
15 Apr 09

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Lol, i don't think this is a chess quote, but i think it should be

'it is better to suffer the winters wind, than the tigers breath!
😵