Chess Improvement

Chess Improvement

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FL

over there

Moves
18 Nov 06

The CTS is very addicting. I usually end up doing around 150-200 problems each session. The only drawback is the rating system. If you do a lot of tactics there then your rating won't go up and down as much, which isn't good because if I'm not mistaken, the higher your rating, the more challenging the problems. I suppose you can always just play as a guest sometimes.

FL

over there

Moves
25 Nov 06

Originally posted by wormwood
you've just hit the level you're on. now the real work begins. 🙂

1470 is okay, many 1800's here do about the same. but 60% correct is really bad. it's almost pure guessing, and you've gotta really work those gray little brain cells to improve. raising the % to around 80 will set you back about 200-150 points, but you'll improve far more given time than ...[text shortened]... for me, but some do even 93-95%. to me it looks like they don't improve as fast though...
So it's not really helping to improve my chess much?

c

Moves
25 Nov 06

Originally posted by Falco Lombardi
What does your rating say?

FL

over there

Moves
26 Nov 06

Originally posted by cmsMaster
What does your rating say?
Well, my bullet rating went up a load. My blitz went up just a little, but possibly only because I was playing good. I haven't seen a big improvement in slow chess.

PR

Moves
26 Nov 06

Why do people think that people who play chess r geeks or neards?

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
26 Nov 06

well, you'll have to be the judge of that yourself, as we all respond a bit differently to training. - but guessing doesn't strain those brain cells responsible for processing the tactical position, meaning it's likely you won't improve that much. a lot less than you could at least.

with high solving percentage you need to work out the variations lightning fast, consciously battling with the natural tendency to laziness, the tendency to cut corners and simply guess. it takes dicipline, but the rewards are far greater than with not putting your full effort into it. every time you get a problem wrong, you enforce the wrong pattern recognition/processing process in your brain.

you need rest too, though, so don't overdo it.

FL

over there

Moves
26 Nov 06

well, you'll have to be the judge of that yourself, as we all respond a bit differently to training. - but guessing doesn't strain those brain cells responsible for processing the tactical position, meaning it's likely you won't improve that much. a lot less than you could at least.

with high solving percentage you need to work out the variations ...[text shortened]... gnition/processing process in your brain.

you need rest too, though, so don't overdo it.
Well I'm starting to try harder. I am taking more time this way, but I am solving more problems correctly. My rating hardly goes up or down this way, since I barely gain or lose anything unless I input the wrong solution.

Also, when I get one wrong, is it good to look at the solution? I have been doing this for every problem I have failed to solve.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
26 Nov 06
1 edit

Well I'm starting to try harder. I am taking more time this way, but I am solving more problems correctly. My rating hardly goes up or down this way, since I barely gain or lose anything unless I input the wrong solution.

Also, when I get one wrong, is it good to look at the solution? I have been doing this for every problem I have failed to solve.
If I get problems wrong, I try it again unrated, taking all the time I need. if I still can't get it after a couple of tries, I check out the answer and make sure why it's the correct one. then, after I finish my session, maybe 100 problems or so at a time, I open session history and redo all the problems I failed. I might even go twice through them if I'm not feeling too lazy.

FL

over there

Moves
26 Nov 06

If I get problems wrong, I try it again unrated, taking all the time I need. if I still can't get it after a couple of tries, I check out the answer and make sure why it's the correct one. then, after I finish my session, maybe 100 problems or so at a time, I open session history and redo all the problems I failed. I might even go twice through them if I'm not feeling too lazy.
Oh, I forgot that you could try problems again unrated. I will try that method. Thx

New Orleans, LA

Moves
26 Nov 06

I love chess, and desperately want to be at the very least good at it. But behold my rating! I just can't get out of a sort of trap type of thinking. My mind does not go beyond the immediate. Not to mention the fact that I need a plan.

Here is one of my games (on Chessmaster) for your enjoyment.

[Event ""]
[Site ""]
[Date "2006.11.17"]
[Round ""]
[White "OOC92"]
[Black "Jonesie"]
[TimeControl "300+3"]
[Result "0-1"]
[ECO "oft "]

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.Nc3 Nc6 4.Bc4 g6 5.O-O a5 6.g4 b5 7.Bxb5 Qb6 8.Bd3 c4 9.Bxc4 Qb8 10.d4 Nd8 11.d5 Qb4 12.b3 Qxc3 13.Bf4 g5
14.Bxg5 Bg7 15.Qe2 Qxc4 16.bxc4 f6 17.Rae1 Bb7 18.e5 d6 19.exd6 fxg5 20.Qe5 Bxe5 21.Rxe5 Bxd5 22.Rfe1 Kf8 23.Rf5+ exf5 24.Ne5
Kg7 25.d7 Ra7 26.Rd1 Bb7 27.Rd6 Ba8 28.Kf1 Be4 29.Ke1 Ne7 30.gxf5 Bxf5 31.Ke2 Ra8 32.f3 h5 33.Nc6 Bh7 34.Nxe7 Kf7 35.Re6 Nxe6 36.d8=Q Rhxd8 37.Nc6 Nf4+ 38.Kf2 Rd1 39.Ne5+ Kg8 40.c5 Re8 41.c6 Rxe5 42.c7 Re2+ 43.Kg3 Rg2# 0-1

Thanks

Oskar

N

The sky

Moves
26 Nov 06

Originally posted by OOC92
I love chess, and desperately want to be at the very least good at it. But behold my rating! I just can't get out of a sort of trap type of thinking. My mind does not go beyond the immediate. Not to mention the fact that I need a plan.
Seeing that you use Chessmaster, have you gone through Waitzkin's Chess Academy there? I found it immensely helpful.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
26 Nov 06

tactics, tactics, tactics! lack of tactical skill is obviously your worst problem by far. you need to drill them a lot. and don't move the pawns from the castle unless it's absolutely necessary.

go here for tactics, and start doing them regularly. preferably a little everyday if possible. it's free and fun.
http://chess.emrald.net/

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
27 Nov 06

ooc92, you should probably also read this through
http://www.chesstactics.org/

then keep on doing the tactics on CTS. you'll get the hang of it soon enough.

New Orleans, LA

Moves
01 Dec 06

My games continue to plummet, I find that I see mistakes only AFTER they have happened. Rather frustrated. Is there any cure? If anyone would like to review them, I would be obliged. My hilarious favorite in this is the following:

(I am playing black)

1. e4 e5 2. Qd1h5 g6 3. Qh5xe5 Ng8e7 4. Qe5xh8 Nb8c6 5. Qh8xh7 d6 *

Now this is a game that is currently happening, so no insider trading but, can anyone tell me what I need to study?

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
01 Dec 06

My games continue to plummet, I find that I see mistakes only AFTER they have happened. Rather frustrated. Is there any cure? If anyone would like to review them, I would be obliged. My hilarious favorite in this is the following:

(I am playing black)

1. e4 e5 2. Qd1h5 g6 3. Qh5xe5 Ng8e7 4. Qe5xh8 Nb8c6 5. Qh8xh7 d6 *

Now this is a game that is currently happening, so no insider trading but, can anyone tell me what I need to study?
basic opening priciples:

1) fast development. get all your pieces out as fast as possible, preferably with a threat if possible.

2) occupy center.

3) castle early.

4) do NOT move queen out early (even if it worked for white here, it usually doesn't)

but it's very clear that tactics is what you should use most of your time for now. you should've seen that rook dropping. do tactical problems every day, and you'll stop dropping those pieces that easily.