Chess Etiquette

Chess Etiquette

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
24 May 12

Originally posted by Bull McCabe
I would think this is quite an easy win for white. The only way black can stop him promoting is to sacrifice the pieces and then white's rook cleans up. This is not the point. I have argued that it is up to the player when he resigns. I myself will resign as soon as I feel the game is losing. I do not expect the same from my opponent
Exactly. When I'm a piece down, it's up to me to choose to resign or defend, and if you don't like my choice, tough. We play by the rules, not by your rules. When I'm a piece up, it's up to you to decide whether to resign or hang on, and if I don't like your choice, tough. It's your job to defend your position and my job to keep my cool and convert the win. And if you run out of time, tough. That's the clock's job.

I've been on both sides of the situation often enough, and lost and won both sides, that I know that in many cases, both choices are defendable, and neither is "unfair" or "bad etiquette".

Richard

e4

Moves
24 May 12

There is a third possibility. Other people telling you NOT to resign.

I the 70's I took part in a simul v Adjorjan. One lad lost a piece early doors and
whilst Adjoran was on the other side the room this lad got up to leave.

A few of the players near me asked him to play one as it would slow Adjorjan down.

The lad played on for a few more uncomfortable moves and then pulled the plug.

Adjorjan pasted everyone except a girl who he gave a draw too.
Adorjan left and the experts showed the girl how easily Adjorjan could have won
instead of giving her a polite draw.
Why they felt the need to do that I don't know.

Duckfinder General

223b Baker Street

Moves
24 May 12
1 edit

I did not say they should carry on. I defended their right to do so if they so wished
This is a game. It has rules not rights. It is within the rules to carry on. When you stated this "When you resign a game is to do with the rules and not etiquette" which rule were you referring to ?

BM

Moves
24 May 12

Originally posted by thaughbaer
This is a game. It has rules not rights. It is within the rules to carry on. When you stated this "When you resign a game is to do with the rules and not etiquette" which rule were you referring to ?
There are rules about how the result of a game is decided. One of them is by the resignation of one of the players.

M

Moves
24 May 12

When the game has been reduced to mere formalities, it is time to resign. That is, all opportunities to achieve a favorable result have been exhausted or they are too remote.

M

Moves
24 May 12

How do you guys feel about asking your opponent to resign?

Ro

Moves
24 May 12

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
Exactly. When I'm a piece down, it's up to me to choose to resign or defend, and if you don't like my choice, tough. We play by the rules, not by your rules. When I'm a piece up, it's up to you to decide whether to resign or hang on, and if I don't like your choice, tough. It's your job to defend your position and my job to keep my cool and conve ...[text shortened]... oth choices are defendable, and neither is "unfair" or "bad etiquette".

Richard
Agreed. But those are not the situations which I suggested would be bad etiquette. And I can't see how anyone could suggest that they are.

Ro

Moves
24 May 12

Originally posted by greenpawn34
We are swinging from 'I had my skull crushed' to when players should resign.

There are players here who think resigning is bad manners.
They continue in all good faith and actually think resigning a game
before getting mated is a form of sulking.

Live and let live.
That may be true. But that is why people should pass on what is generally regarded as good etiquette.

And, yes, we should all learn not to judge too quickly. The Spirituality Forum has cornered that market and now owns the copyright. 🙂

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
25 May 12
1 edit

Originally posted by MoneyManMike
How do you guys feel about asking your opponent to resign?
"The best way to get resignation is by force."- E. M. Stoddard

Duckfinder General

223b Baker Street

Moves
25 May 12
2 edits

There are rules about how the result of a game is decided. One of them is by the resignation of one of the players.
But this thread isn't about the rules. It is about etiquette and good/poor conduct and by your own admission you make no distinction between the two.

"How can playing by the rules be poor conduct."

On RHP it's actually impossible to break the rules unless the software itself is defective. Therefore by your logic it is impossible to exhibit poor conduct on RHP. Except in the forums of course where my excessive bickering could be regarded as poor conduct.

Here is a prime example of what happens when you stick to the rules.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underarm_bowling_incident_of_1981

Presumably you would not regard this as poor conduct as it was within the rules. Even his own brother disagreed.

e4

Moves
25 May 12

I know off the under arm incident so I did not follow the link.
It is now illegal to bowl in this way.

I say again that some players (and the vast majority here are home and
casual players) think resigning is bad manners and that it robs their opponent
of the pleasure of delivering checkmate.

What some may think is being impolite may infact be the reverse.
You just have to get on with the game.

Regarding telling an opponent that you may have to stop halfway through
the game and please don't time me out.
There was no need for the abusive replies but if the lad has a load of games
on the go and a skull appears he may have clicked it forgetting who he was playing.
If he was a non-sub then he has one game tied up so took the skull to get
in another game.

Duckfinder General

223b Baker Street

Moves
25 May 12
1 edit

Originally posted by greenpawn34

I say again that some players (and the vast majority here are home and
casual players) think resigning is bad manners and that it robs their opponent
of the pleasure of delivering checkmate.
But in the context of the OP why would you play on to give your opponent the pleasure of a checkmate then click the skull when she's one move away ? Poor Hannah. First her music career takes a dive.. now this.

e4

Moves
25 May 12
1 edit

I think 99% of us would take the skull if we were facing mate in one.
I would. 🙂

It's also another reason to play onto to the mate.
There was some guy on Chessbase a few months advocating that all
games should go the distance and ban resignations.
This would have been a fun idea.
Players wishing to resign would have to contruct Self-Mates.

Perhaps get Russ to remove the resigns option then ALL games on RHP
must go to a grisly end and this discussion about playing on would be no more.

BM

Moves
25 May 12
1 edit

Originally posted by thaughbaer
But this thread isn't about the rules. It is about etiquette and good/poor conduct and by your own admission you make no distinction between the two.

"How can playing by the rules be poor conduct."

On RHP it's actually impossible to break the rules unless the software itself is defective. Therefore by your logic it is impossible to exhibit poor cond ...[text shortened]... not regard this as poor conduct as it was within the rules. Even his own brother disagreed.
Now I think it about time you went back and checked what I actually have said in this thread. A question was asked if it was poor conduct not to resign in a lost position.I expressed the opinion that it was not. I backed this up by saying it was not against the rules. I quessing you disagree with this, as do many others. There are many views on this; Greenpawn has correctly pointed out that there are people who think it is bad manners to resign a game before mate. We disagree on this matter, but that life.
By the way if you opinion is the correct one, it would be possible to commit bad conduct on this site

Duckfinder General

223b Baker Street

Moves
25 May 12
2 edits

Now I think it about time you went back and checked what I actually have said in this thread. A question was asked if it was poor conduct not to resign in a lost position.I expressed the opinion that it was not. I backed this up by saying it was not against the rules.

I quessing you disagree with this, as do many others. There are many views on th ...[text shortened]... e way if you opinion is the correct one, it would be possible to commit bad conduct on this site[/b]
I don't need to go back and check it I simply quote it. GP said there were people who thought it was bad manners. You didn't. This is the first time you've mentioned it so it's poor etiquette :-) to use it as the basis for your argument.

I have no issue with someone who drags out a game for any reason or clicks skulls. You won't find a thread where I complain about either happening to me. This is a discussion about what is good and poor etiqutte or good and poor conduct. You have argued that anything within the rules cannot be poor conduct and that players should ( or have a right to ) carry on because they are of equal strength. To refresh your memory:

"No. How can playing by the rules be poor conduct. You cannot know why your opponent played on."

You can know why your opponent played on if he tells you.

"My point exactely. When you resign a game is to do with the rules and not etiquette"

You don't believe there is any etiquette around when a player should resign. By this reasoning a player cannot play on because he believes it is bad manners to resign because that would be an example of good etiqutte.

"Yes; in the case of players of fairly equal strengh I disagree"

And in the case of players of not fairly equal strength you agree ? What about their right to carry on ?

"I did not say they should carry on. I defended their right to do so if they so wished"

Were you wearing your underpants on the outside when you said this ?

"Greg Chappell is my hero. I love him dearly and want his babies."

OK... you never said that one... I just made it up.