Castles are for wimps.

Castles are for wimps.

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C

EDMONTON ALBERTA

Moves
26 Oct 06

I agree that castling is necessary in certain situations... but if you can get away without it then castling is a waste of a tempo... right? So I take it back that castling is for wimps, it was a gung-ho remark.

l
Man of Steel

rushing to and fro

Moves
26 Oct 06

Originally posted by ChessJester
I want to see games where the victor never cowers in the corners! Thanks! 😀 😉
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1032529

C

EDMONTON ALBERTA

Moves
26 Oct 06

Originally posted by leisurelysloth
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1032529
Sweet, that was a dandy! 🙂 thanks!

NS
blunderer of pawns

Rhode (not an)Island

Moves
27 Oct 06

I agree that castling is necessary in certain situations... but if you can get away without it then castling is a waste of a tempo... right? So I take it back that castling is for wimps, it was a gung-ho remark.
In my mind, no move that activates one of your rooks is ever a waste of a tempo.

E

Moves
27 Oct 06

There are many players out there who seem to think that castling early is a good idea. This idea even seems to controll their opening choices. Have you ever won a game where your opponent castled but you did not?

Post your games! I want to see games where the victor never cowers in the corners! Thanks! 😀 😉

Here is one I recently finished. Ruy lop ...[text shortened]... weakness in my white squares on the queenside because white traded his white-squared bishop! 😛
youre a rat.

Y

Moves
27 Oct 06
3 edits

but if you can get away without it then castling is a waste of a tempo...
castling allows your rooks to connect and get into the game, and in some cases, castling queenside can actually gain quite a tempo if the d file is open by both bringing your king to safety and attacking the center at the same time.

eg.

white to move: 1. Qxd8+ Kxd8 2. O-O-O+

don't ask how the position would come about or mention possible better moves because it's just an example i bsed in a minute

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
27 Oct 06

Originally posted by YUG0slav
castling allows your rooks to connect and get into the game, and in some cases, castling queenside can actually gain quite a tempo if the d file is open by both bringing your king to safety and attacking the center at the same time.
or even a mate:

[Event "Prague"]
[Site "Prague"]
[Date "1875.??.??"]
[EventDate "?"]
[Round "?"]
[Result "1-0"]
[White "Antonin Kvicala"]
[Black "NN"]
[ECO "B20"]
[WhiteElo "?"]
[BlackElo "?"]