Carlsen - Anand Game 9 (just started)

Carlsen - Anand Game 9 (just started)

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
21 Nov 13
2 edits

Originally posted by vishyanand
What a sad end!
The truth is, Anand has not won a single game in this WC match. MC's rating is now at 2873!

FL

Moves
21 Nov 13

Yes, there has often been talk of changing the rules so that the loser of a match can't go up in rating, and the winner go down in rating. Personally I don't think that matches should be rated at all.

This has definitely been the game of the match for me, though I wish Anand had played Bf1 and we'd gotten to an ending with Carlsen a pawn up.

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
21 Nov 13

Vishy blew it !

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
21 Nov 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Fat Lady
Yes, there has often been talk of changing the rules so that the loser of a match can't go up in rating, and the winner go down in rating. Personally I don't think that matches should be rated at all.

This has definitely been the game of the match for me, though I wish Anand had played Bf1 and we'd gotten to an ending with Carlsen a pawn up.
I know Bf1 would have been better, could MC defend against that? I see A's knight coming in after that.

So, on to the next game, if MC draws and gets to 6.5, will they play out game 12 or leave it at that?

Georgia, USA

Moves
21 Nov 13

Great game to the blunder.

Anand - what a gentleman!

FL

Moves
21 Nov 13
1 edit

Originally posted by sonhouse
So, on to the next game, if MC draws and gets to 6.5, will they play out game 12 or leave it at that?
As soon as one player can't tie or win the match by winning all the remaining games, the match is over (cf match play golf).

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
22 Nov 13

Originally posted by Fat Lady
As soon as one player can't tie or win the match by winning all the remaining games, the match is over (cf match play golf).
Seems like a short number of games to decide the WC though. I guess people got burned by the Karpov/Kas games, more than 100?

FL

Moves
22 Nov 13
1 edit

Originally posted by sonhouse
Seems like a short number of games to decide the WC though. I guess people got burned by the Karpov/Kas games, more than 100?
Yes, both extremes are bad. The 24 game format seemed to result in some classic matches and gave the player who was behind early on a fighting chance of making a comeback (Fischer, for example!). I for one would love a return to that sort of match. Once Carlsen is Champion, he will be calling the shots and the next match will be in whatever format he chooses. There's no way that he will allow FIDE to dictate things.