Capitalizing on Queens Gambit Accepted

Capitalizing on Queens Gambit Accepted

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

London

Moves
03 May 07

Originally posted by Leaadas
Yes but 17. .... Qxf7 seems to win that piece.
17...Qxf7
18. QxQ...Nxf7
19. Bxf6...bxf6
20. b4 and the Bishop is trapped and the pawn structure weakened

s

Moves
03 May 07
2 edits

Originally posted by Ari Brenin Cymru
In certain QGA games I end up in a situation like this:

1. d4 d5 2. c4 dxc4 3. Nc3 .

When black tries to hold on to the pawn by advancing a6 and b5 I cannot seem to capitalize on this, I've read that trying to keep hold of the pawn creates big problems for black. What should I play to gain an advantage in these type of situations?
I think that there has been some misunderstanding of the aims of the QGA in some of the discussion. In any of the main lines (3.Nf3, 2.e4, 3.e3) it is bad for black to try to hold the pawn. However, by playing 3.Nc3 (a very rare move) you are playing a move that allows black to hold the pawn with ...a6 and ...b5. If White plays a4 to prevent this, he only allows an annoying pin on his knight and weakens his queenside. Anyone who plays the QGA at a high level would love to see Nc3 and a4 from White. If you don't want Black to hold his pawn, then one of the main lines seems to be the best choice.

Scott

Y

Moves
03 May 07

Originally posted by Mahout
Whilst it may be true that it's good for white against a beginner who's just taking the pawn because they can
technically black can't just "take the pawn" (3. Qa4+ 4. Qxc4 gets the pawn back)

but back to mainline, when I played d5 I never accepted the pawn

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
04 May 07
2 edits

The knight on e5 is defending the other knight (on c6) against the f3 Bishop so if:

17. ....Nxf7
then
18.Bxc6...Qxc6 (forced preventing mate on b7)
19.Qxf7. capturing the cheeky knight
EDIT: Already covered...

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
04 May 07

17...Qxf7
18. QxQ...Nxf7
19. Bxf6...bxf6
20. b4 and the Bishop is trapped and the pawn structure weakened
Black can play 20.Bb6 21.cxb6 ..bxc6 with repaired pawn structure...

L

Moves
04 May 07

Originally posted by Marinkatomb
Yes that is what i was thinking Marinkatomb. Which also seems to be much better than what was played.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
04 May 07

Originally posted by Marinkatomb
Yes, that was the decisive mistake as far as I can tell. But, I don't have to capture the bishop until black moves the a pawn, so if black does move the bishop I get a little extra time to do something else. Also the position after that isn't bad for me, the kingside pawn majority gives me reasonable chances there, balanced by my opponent's better pawns on the queenside. He abandoned the Albin Counter Gambit after this game and now plays the Leningrad Dutch, and regularly beats me with it otb, which is annoying as I introduced him to the opening 😞.