Capablanca, chess fundamentals

Capablanca, chess fundamentals

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

o
Art is hard

Moves
09 Aug 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Goshen
Well maybe we just different. But look , tactics are categorized into different motifs e.g back rank, overloaded piece, fork, etc. which makes it really easy for me to absorb. And the goals are acheived in usually less than 5 moves and are immediately visible. however positional play is extremely subtle especially for the beginning player. which i am. took up ...[text shortened]... ting to the positions is something entirely...perhaps thats where your positional play comes in.
did you actually try to study strategy? here, if you are interested I will sugest you a very good book: Winning Chess Strategy by Yasser Seirawan! I'm reading it myself right now. You don't need to buy it, I got mine from my gramp, he actually had bought a signed copy which he never read, just go into your library and read the first 4 chapters its just abgout 35 pages (don't forget your magnetic chess set to play over the examples), that is enough for a starter.

G

Lagos

Moves
09 Aug 09

I've read Winning Chess Tactics and I've been looking forward to reading the other books in the winning chess series. I take it that it has improved your game.

pp

Moves
09 Aug 09
1 edit

Originally posted by orion25
I think you are exagerating a little there, you can't learn strategy in an our, but it is much easier to learn than tactics, as we are talking about general rules and principals, that can be aplyed in any position. To really master it though I think it needs loads and loads of study ours, and experience
well, I agree reading those 30 pages won't make you kramnik, but I've noticed that almost all players above 1400 really have nearly as much positional knowledge as strong club players. not endgame knowledge, not opening knowledge, I'm only talking about general principles like "castling is usually a good idea" or "the knight on the rim is dim," "knights before bishops" etc.

and yeah, I may have exaggerated a little when I said chess strategy could be learned in hours. 🙂

o
Art is hard

Moves
09 Aug 09

Originally posted by philidor position
well, I agree reading those 30 pages won't make you kramnik, but I've noticed that almost all players above 1400 really have nearly as much positional knowledge as strong club players. not endgame knowledge, not opening knowledge, I'm only talking about general principles like "castling is usually a good idea" or "the knight on the rim is dim," "kn ...[text shortened]... may have exaggerated a little when I said chess strategy could be learned in hours. 🙂
I'm not so shure players around 1400-1500 here now those principles very well. But anyhow I think that there is a little more general position knowledge you have to have, the concept of space and time, and most importantly, understanding were the pieces go and build up the position that favours your bishop or your knight. You will learn this throu experience, but if you read a little about you will learn quicker. I also think that some opening knowledge and probably engame knowledge helps

G

Lagos

Moves
09 Aug 09

Originally posted by orion25
But anyhow I think that there is a little more general position knowledge you have to have, the concept of space and time, and most importantly, understanding were the pieces go and build up the position that favours your bishop or your knight. You will learn this throu experience, but if you read a little about you will learn quicker. I also think that some opening knowledge and probably engame knowledge helps[/b]
Goed gezegd!!
😏

N
10. O-O

Kalispell, MT

Moves
09 Aug 09
1 edit

well, I agree reading those 30 pages won't make you kramnik, but I've noticed that almost all players above 1400 really have nearly as much positional knowledge as strong club players. not endgame knowledge, not opening knowledge, I'm only talking about general principles like "castling is usually a good idea" or "the knight on the rim is dim," "kn may have exaggerated a little when I said chess strategy could be learned in hours. 🙂
how about deeper strategy? Since its simple to learn:

The gravity that pawns create on the board.
Pawn chains and how they change the principle of chess time.
Force mobility and space, how can you ever "master" these?

The principles and strategies of chess guide the combinations that
we conduct.

Far from simple. These take understanding. Tactics take practice.

-GIN

rc

Moves
09 Aug 09

well, I agree reading those 30 pages won't make you kramnik, but I've noticed that almost all players above 1400 really have nearly as much positional knowledge as strong club players. not endgame knowledge, not opening knowledge, I'm only talking about general principles like "castling is usually a good idea" or "the knight on the rim is dim," "kn ...[text shortened]... may have exaggerated a little when I said chess strategy could be learned in hours. 🙂
dude, enjoyed your analysis of the game in your blog in the chess.com site, the misery of getting positionally outplayed. very insightful and practical to read. i myself am interested in collecting one or two games from amateur players and making a video presentation from their own analysis, especially if it illustrates a particular idea/concept i have a game from Macpo on this site giving a little taster of the ascetics of positional play, which i plan to use, he posted some excellent analysis and gave me permission to utilise it. perhaps in the future i can immortalise one of your games, with permission. regards Robbie.

pp

Moves
10 Aug 09

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
dude, enjoyed your analysis of the game in your blog in the chess.com site, the misery of getting positionally outplayed. very insightful and practical to read. i myself am interested in collecting one or two games from amateur players and making a video presentation from their own analysis, especially if it illustrates a particular idea/concept i ...[text shortened]... it. perhaps in the future i can immortalise one of your games, with permission. regards Robbie.
I'm glad you liked it. you can do anything you want with it, but I would appreciate if you could send me the link to your video or whatever you do with it.

pp

Moves
10 Aug 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Nowakowski
how about deeper strategy? Since its simple to learn:

The gravity that pawns create on the board.
Pawn chains and how they change the principle of chess time.
Force mobility and space, how can you ever "master" these?

The principles and strategies of chess guide the combinations that
we conduct.

Far from simple. These take understanding. Tactics take practice.

-GIN
nowakowski, I think "mastering" any idea in chess comes with precision and accuracy only.

everyone can know chess principles, but only ones who don't blunder along the way can be said to have "mastered" them.

about the argument "The principles and strategies of chess guide the combinations that we conduct,"

I think it's the opposite, I think tactical accuracy guide the principles and strategies we conduct on a chess board. this argument doesn't have to contradict with the idea that tactically won positions arise from strategically better positions (controlling open files with rooks, having a knight in your opponent's throat etc).

anyway, just my opinion. everyone has different methods of improving, so, I won't insist. hope your method works for you.

rc

Moves
10 Aug 09

I'm glad you liked it. you can do anything you want with it, but I would appreciate if you could send me the link to your video or whatever you do with it.
sure, i will take no liberties with it, i only ask that if possible you will provide the analysis and the subsequent comments. it shall take some time, for i am fiendishly busy with work. so don't be surprised, it i contact you in a wee while - regards robbie.

e4

Moves
10 Aug 09

Hi Robbie.

Lots of activity regarding Chess lessons in your neck of the woods.

JACOB AAGAARD CREDIT CRUNCH SEMINARS

Grandmaster and 2007 British Champion
“When an Irresistible Force Meets an Immovable Object”
August 27 to August 30, 2009

http://scotchess.s4.bizhat.com/scotchess-ftopic1150.html

Going?

rc

Moves
10 Aug 09

Originally posted by greenpawn34
Hi Robbie.

Lots of activity regarding Chess lessons in your neck of the woods.

JACOB AAGAARD CREDIT CRUNCH SEMINARS

Grandmaster and 2007 British Champion
“When an Irresistible Force Meets an Immovable Object”
August 27 to August 30, 2009

http://scotchess.s4.bizhat.com/scotchess-ftopic1150.html

Going?
mmm, actually pawn dude im skint after my holiday Salmon fishing near the Tay at Scone, and school is going back, i need to buy so many things. i know its not a lot of money, but its dosh i don't have at the moment, its a pity because i would love to go, but would probably feel totally intimidated by the whole thing.

e4

Moves
10 Aug 09

Pity.
You won't feel intimitated. Jacob has the knack of making
players of all strength's feel very relaxed.

as the post says:

Usually talks are aimed at the more experienced club player (say 1700+),
however it is fair to say that lower rated players who have attended
previous events have unanimously rated their experience very highly.

In particular, I would urge anyone who has not seen Jacob in action to
make every effort to attend these sessions. GM Aagaard is not only a
very strong player but has spent many years developing teaching and
training techniques - both with his pupils and through his critically
acclaimed writings.

His presentation style is entertaining and engaging. I guarantee that
you will leave the sessions not only knowing more about chess but
also with the motivation to do further study on your own.

Just send the kids to school in a shell suit and they don't need books.
A piece of slate and a lump of chalk. It never did me any harm.

rc

Moves
10 Aug 09

Originally posted by greenpawn34
Pity.
You won't feel intimitated. Jacob has the knack of making
players of all strength's feel very relaxed.

as the post says:

Usually talks are aimed at the more experienced club player (say 1700+),
however it is fair to say that lower rated players who have attended
previous events have unanimously rated their experience very highly.

I ...[text shortened]... t and they don't need books.
A piece of slate and a lump of chalk. It never did me any harm.
lol, it never did me any harm !?, i knew a guy once, Jamie Harvey, he wore wellies in winter and his mum cut them to make them into trainers for summer.

e4

Moves
11 Aug 09

Me? Barefoot in Summer - cardboard show boxes in WInter.

Just posted more info on the Glasgow Seminar. + Capablanca
visiting Glasgow in 1919.

http://www.chessedinburgh.co.uk/chandlerarticle.php?ChandID=356